• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

ReGaL Music

ReGaL Music

Advanced Forum Guru

• Platinum
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationOH....IO
I made a trade of a Pearl (P 100) bass pedal for a Slingerland Yellow Jacket bass pedal. I really don't know much about these pedals. Can any of you provide me with any info and history? The pedal has 2 springs and appears to be very well built. I've not had a chance to play it yet on a drum, but the action seems to be very good just hitting against a pad.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
That is a really cool pedal. From the late 70s or early 80s. I actually had one. Rich Piccolo, the Slingerland Artist Relations guy in the 70s came to see me play a show at a Chicago theater in 78. The next day, he picked me up at the hotel and gave me a tour of the Slingerland factory. I met Bev Bevan of ELO that day, too. Anyway, he was pitching a Slingerland deal pretty hard and part of the pitch was the new hardware. He gave me a yellowjacket pedal to try. Nice guy. :)
I had been with Pearl for 4 years, and even though the Slingerland deal was really good, I stayed with Pearl. He didn't want the pedal back, either..... I eventually donated it to a local music school.

Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests
I played a Yellow Jacket ( a later one that was painted black...Black Jacket? :D ) and honestly it was one of the fastest, most responsive pedals I've ever played. The footboard was very heavy and at times it was a little hard to control. Overall, it was a nice step up from Slingerlands Tempo King.

Chris

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/... ... dZViewItem

by the price it looks like these are pretty desireable

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,782 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
I met Bev Bevan of ELO that day, too.

do you have a picture of that tommy?

steambent

steambent

Advanced Forum Guru

• Double Platinum
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationOhio
Yes a great pedal.About 5 years ago I got one with a double bass Slingerland set and liked it so much I did a rare thing for me and bought one of ebay to match.

RickP

RickP

Dan RH Jr.

• Gold
  • 7,292 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
Problably the best pedal Slingerland ever made IMHO.As stated previously - very fast, simple pedal with a direct linkage.I really liked the Yellow ones as their look was so different for these times.Slingerland was making some really interesting things during these days.They had the 2 to 1 snare drum, the TDR strainer and they had the new Super SetOMatic double tom mounts which were much superior to the original SetOMatic double tom mounts for positioning.

The Yellow Jacket pedals usually sell pretty quickly and for good dollars as there seems to be a closet goup of drummers that really like this pedal ( me included).

Jimmy Willis

Jimmy Willis

Advanced Forum Guru

• Silver
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL
I've never owned a yellow Jacket but have played them a few times. A friend of mine who bought my father's ludwig kit had a yellow jacket pedal with that set. It is a fast pedal and comfortable to play. Being a ghost pedal player, I didn't quite think the Yellow Jacket was as smooth but that's just me. Anyway, they are a nice pedal. The bass of his pedal is actually yellow and not black.

JDZ

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • Locationcleveland, ohio
I used one exclusively for 23 yrs! It died thankfully in the last song before a set break in about 2001. I cant remember exactly where it broke (I think it's remains are in the garage so I'll exume it and get photos) but it was a pot metal part that I couldn't repair. At the time, I tried really hard to find another one but needed it quickly so I started testing new pedals that felt similar. I ended up with a DW 5000 double spring. I've thought about getting another yellowjacket but really don't need anymore drum accesories.

Dave

oneeyedcat

oneeyedcat

• Gold
  • 303 posts
  • LocationBronx, NY

I've never owned a yellow Jacket but have played them a few times. A friend of mine who bought my father's ludwig kit had a yellow jacket pedal with that set. It is a fast pedal and comfortable to play. Being a ghost pedal player, I didn't quite think the Yellow Jacket was as smooth but that's just me. Anyway, they are a nice pedal. The bass of his pedal is actually yellow and not black.

They started out yellow but Slingerland later changed it to black and still called it the Yellowjacket. I know because I have one and it is my favorite pedal!
Rick :occasion5:

Chicagoish

Chicagoish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
I got one with a 1977 kit and didn't like it. It went for around $50.00 on ebay.

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
mfryed2112: Incredible. No picture. Didn't know anyone famous was going to be around. So... no camera. I was thinking 78, but now I'm thinking spring 79. We played at a theater-in-the round in Niles. You really met him that day, too..... wow. 8) I guess they must have had a gig in Chicago, but we were working and I didn't even ask.....

skinsman

skinsman

Restoreimus Optimus Vintageitus

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationIllinois at the Mighty Mississippi
That is a great pedal. I got one with a kit in 76' and loved it then....there are just simple smooth and fast.....just one of the MANY great Slingy innovations.

mfryed2112

mfryed2112

Drummer Excelsior

• Members
  • 8,782 posts
  • LocationPRO FOOTBALL HALL of FAME CITY
tommy, no, i was quoting you, lol. elo is one of my favs! my older brother bought out of the blue when it came out and i was hooked. i bought everything i could from elo.

Chicagoish

Chicagoish

Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
I like ELO a lot too... Face the Music and New World Record are my favs, followed closley by Out of the Blue. I know they tried to tour a few years ago but were unsuccessful (I think) but I wish they would try again. I never saw them and would like to see a show.

BBeyer

BBeyer

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,818 posts
So it sounds like a few members on this thread were endorsed by slingerland right around the time of their demise? I guess they couldnt have known that the imported brands of drums would become so popular but its kinda stupid how they kept building drums with junk hardware up until the point where it was too late to revive their name, even with the beefy magnamax/magnum hardware that they finally came up with. was their failure right around the same time as Rogers went caput?
and what was it about Ludwig that kept them going strong even when all the other american drum makers were going under? Maybe their Musser/Ludwig marching band stuff that seemed to be sold to every high school in the country. (?)

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
I wasn't with Slingerland. Just got the tour and the pitch. I stayed with Pearl for 14 years that time... Then they lost interest in me. Just as I was starting to have hits in the country music world, too. At that time there was a woman running Artist Relations, and she liked all the hair bands. When I wasn't in one anymore, I guess that sealed my fate there. :)

Drumstyx7a

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO

• Members
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationGreenville, Texas, United States
Her name wasn't Suzy Creamcheese was it ??? :wink:

Robb

TommyWells

TommyWells

Pro/Founder

• Members
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tn.
Should have been.... :wink:

Drumstyx7a

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO

• Members
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationGreenville, Texas, United States
Tommy, you might have been immortalized !!!! :shock: :lol:

Man am I glad I'm a member here ... I didn't give that pedal a second look before ... to me it seemed like it might have been a late model import or something from the last Slingerland era of expensive stuff.

I have a Tempo King and it's a really nice pedal ... plays just like cpj told me it would. Now you folks say that the Yellow Jacket is even better?

See? I learn something new here nearly everyday!!

Robb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users