- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

drumguy60

drumguy60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Does anyone know what size/weight cymbals Ringo used during the Ed Sullivan days? I'm guessing 20" med ride/rivets, 18" med crash w/ rivets and 14" medium hats.

Jimmy Willis

Jimmy Willis

Advanced Forum Guru

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL
I think your correct with the sizes of the 18' and 20' however I think his hats were 15'. I might be wrong. I think the cymbals or a least one of them had the rivet holes but no rivets.

DanC

DanC

Lord Vader, the drums are aboard and your cruiser awaits.

• Members
  • 11,371 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I wonder if Ringo still has those? Or any of those drums?

drumguy60

drumguy60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
You should check-out the book "Beatles gear" by Andy Babiuk. It has some really nifty details about the band's history and equipment, but very little specifics about cymbals...stuff the general public probably wouldn't care about. Example.. Ringo quickly replaced the tom mount with a Rogers swiv-o-matic. He still owns the 2nd 20" Ludwig kit as well as the 1st 22" kit. The famous drop "T" Beatles logo was designed by the owner of Drum City in Liverpool who sold him his 1st set Of Luds. Apparently, Ringo was looking at Trixon but fell in love with black oyster pearl available only on Ludwig.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationIllinois
What Ringo's cymbals were is very open to speculation since Ringo himself doesn't seem to know (or care to share that information if he does....but I don't think he actually remembers). Mal Evans might have known but he is long dead.

It seems that eventually Ringo was using all Zildjians but this wasn't so in the early days.
On the initial Ed Sullivan appearances (playing the 12/14/20 set) one of his cymbals was an 18" Zyn sizzle with rivets. This was probably a holdover from his Premier set, being a Premier marketed cymbal. Ringo was still using this when they filmed a Hard Day's Night. His Hi-Hats I'm not sure about but I don't think they were Zildjians yet. Perhaps also Zyn, although maybe Paiste or Arbitors (house labeled Paistes). His other cymbal may have been a new Zildjian (18" or 20"). I wonder if maybe he bought his first "A" at the same time he bought the second 12/14/20 set through Manny's Music on that first trip to New York. It is known that he brought his snare drum and cymbals along to New York with him on that trip and then took the new stuff he bought back to England. Part of the reason for doing so, besides not having to haul a whole drum set across the Atlantic twice, was to have two sets available while filming A Hard Day's Night. One for filming (the new one) and one for the recording studio. If Ringo was doing this then he probably would have needed two complete sets of cymals as well and that may be what started him down the road towards buying Zildjians. He used the Zyn in the movie so maybe there was a new Zildjian replacement being used at Abbey Road.

This is one area of Ringo's equipment which is like a black hole of information. I'm certain on the Zyn sizzler as photographs show that cymbal's somewhat unique profile and the rivets. The Hi-Hats also seem to have a non-Zildjian profile at that time. Beyond that I'm just not sure.

I have an 18" Zyn with Rivets....sounds like crap.

The new Zildjian "Armand" series is marketed towards having the rock sound of the sixties...implying Ringo's sound as well as many others.

LudwigLarry

LudwigLarry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
K.O.
Right about Ringos Zyn but look at the HDN vids. His sizzle cymbal was a 20" with rivets and his ride was an 18" crash ride Zildjian. Ringo's left side cymbal was always bigger than the right. There is a shot in one of the HDN clips where you can see the rivets in the 20" Zyn.

I also feel he used Paiste 15" hats early as the bell profiles don't look like Zildjians. There has been allot of threads over at the BeatGearCavern.com about his drums and cymbals. One member outlined Ringos hats and it clearly showed the outline was bigger than the diameter of his snare. It was the overhead stage show, looking directly down on them playing on stage.

K.O.

K.O.

DFO Drum Lord

• Members
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationIllinois

K.O.
Right about Ringos Zyn but look at the HDN vids. His sizzle cymbal was a 20" with rivets and his ride was an 18" crash ride Zildjian. Ringo's left side cymbal was always bigger than the right. There is a shot in one of the HDN clips where you can see the rivets in the 20" Zyn.

I also feel he used Paiste 15" hats early as the bell profiles don't look like Zildjians. There has been allot of threads over at the BeatGearCavern.com about his drums and cymbals. One member outlined Ringos hats and it clearly showed the outline was bigger than the diameter of his snare. It was the overhead stage show, looking directly down on them playing on stage.

The Zyn may have been a 20" although Premier only shows an 18" size in their catalogs.
Here's a picture of Ringo's 1st set with the cymbals looking decidedly non-Zildjian (except perhaps the newer looking one off to Ringo's right) and also AHDN frame capture showing the riveted Zyn on a Premier stand.

Pounder

Pounder

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Members
  • 10,290 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK
That second picture definitely looks non-zildjian--the one with Paul in the background. The first picture, not necessarily a non-Zildjian. Zildjian made some 20s with a rounded pronounced bell like that one, but I'm not seeing a definitely-Zildjian cymbal. In fact that first picture looks more like a B8 CB700 cymbal (made in Italy). That is the shape of it. Obviously it isn't one of those but it could be an Italian made Zyn or something.. Or it could be a Paiste cymbal like a 602 or something.

Even though most Zyns say made in England it is a little-known fact that some of them were made in Italy. I'm not trying to disprove or prove anything i'm just free-associating with what I know about cymbals, and many cymbals have gone though my hands. The one picture that you can see part of the hats does look like they're larger, maybe 15" hats. On an overhead camera view though everything that is closer to the camera--in this case the hats are closer than the snare drum--will indeed appear much larger than that which is in the foreground. It is very difficult to determine the size of the head or cymbal size based only on camera perspective.

Some pictures of Ringo I've seen makes me think the cymbal could be a Paiste 602, because he had access to them as his Ludwig connection could easily have been accompanied by some cymbals included in the package.

I love Ringo the guy played the crap out of those drums and created a sensation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users