1933 Leedy Thunderbird

Discussion in 'General' started by rugbystore, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rugbystore

rugbystore Member

I'm restoring this Thunderbird and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the hoops are constructed of. Is it pure brass, or is there a plating with laquer over the top? We're considering buffing them out but don't want to damage the engraving or finish. I guess I'm asking, how is the rim constructed?

2. fishaa

fishaa Very well Known Member

I dont see anything

3. clowndog

clowndog DFO Veteran

Melbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)
    If the hoops are original gold they are brass construction with a gold tinted lacquer on top, called nobby gold. Buffing will ruin them.

4. studrum

studrum DFO Veteran

Somebody help this guy, quick...damage is about to be done. Step away from the buffing wheel.

Aren't there threads on this in Resto and Rehab? I know that a soft cloth dipped in a light oil, rubbed lightly, is often recommended for delicate finishes.

Curotto, Cooper, where art thou?

5. clowndog

clowndog DFO Veteran

Melbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)
    I can answer. 1 part Dawn to 10 parts COLD water. Clean with all cotton cloth. Have several tubs of clean water to use new clothes to gently rinse soap away (I never submerge) Rub very gently, small areas at a time. 3n1 oil another/or additional option. Nothing else. Look at the hoops wrong and that finish goes away. Exercise extreme caution. Enjoy the drum!