6 ply ludwigs

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by mfryed2112, Dec 1, 2018.

1. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

picked these up today. This is the same snare I had for sale a week ago. I was cruising the local craigslist while cleaning the snare and found these and decided to get them and keep the snare. the snare cleaned up great except for the high tension batter side rim.
    Bass drum diamond plate and tom post are on the way. Sizes are 14,18,24 and the 8x14 snare. Everything sounds great. The cymbal stands are nos slingerland from a more recent time, I also have the nos slingy bass drum pedal, hi hat stand and snare stand, they are for a slingy project I have going. Time for some big cymbals.

Attached Files:

2. DrumR69

DrumR69 Very well Known Member

Nice kit, those will sound sweet.
    congrats
    Wayne

3. drumaniac

drumaniac DFO Master

Niceeeee!!!!!!

4. High on Stress

High on Stress DFO Veteran

B9C4CE25-8252-4C4D-A6DF-32AFF94A979E.jpeg
    I love my 14/16/26 Ludwig 6ply drums! I also have a 3ply kit in smaller sizes, but prefer these.

5. crash

crash DFO Master

Looks great! I’m jealous, love maple finish sets. My 6 ply set sounded really good. Band preferred them to two different 3 ply sets!

6. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

The bass drum thumps with a emad batter, toms are big round and full sounding, very happy with them!

7. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Really liking the tuning range of the 14 inch tom

High on Stress likes this.
  8. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Those look great, not sure if he has any left but I think Clay (Ludwigfire) had some of those twin channel diecast rims

ludwigfire likes this.
  9. High on Stress

High on Stress DFO Veteran

I was pleasantly surprised with the tuning range on the 14 myself. I was not expecting it to go up as high as it can. I think these larger 6 ply drums are real sleepers ... my very first set was 6 ply concert toms in trad sizes and I never liked the way they sounded and consequently avoided the 6 ply drums for years. I acquired the set I posted almost accidentally (the drums are all orphans) and it's become one of my main gigging kits. The drums are not nearly as thick and heavy as I expected. Again, maybe not so great in smaller sizes but the 6 ply shell seems to work well in these bigger sizes.

10. ludwigfire

ludwigfire Very well Known Member

I am a sucker for thermogloss 6 ply drums and those look great! I have an orphan set of 12,13 toms, factory 14 x14 floor and 16 floor with 20" and 24" bass drums, along with regular and slotted Coliseum snares. They haven't gotten much use lately but they certainly are fun to play and sound great.

Don’t discount the smaller sized 6 ply shells though, I also have a 6 ply Jazzette that really sings and sounds much bigger than it is. Don’t have any pics saved on my tablet or I would throw some up.