Acrylic Bongos

Discussion in 'General' started by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:32 PM.

1. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer DFO Veteran

I just picked these up a few days ago with the intent possibly flip them as I thought there may be someone here that would like some matching bongos to go with their kit.

Each drum has a crack from the mount, with one covering most of the drum from top to bottom.

Does anyone have info on these? They look like Slingerland lugs to me, but they could be a knockoff I suppose.

Attached Files:

2. Obiwandrumobe

Obiwandrumobe Very well Known Member

Wasn't that Syd Barrett's first band?

3. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Those bongos look like Ernie the generic bongos from the mid 20th century, but with acrylic shells. You know the bongos I'm talking about........those luan shells with the red painted interiors. Are the head sizes goofy in-between sizes like those I reference. You can't find can't find heads to fit at any music store?

4. dtk

dtk DFO Master

I think I had a set like that...used them with my clear Fibes.
    I might be interested if the price was right. There are a few acrylic repair things out there...and behind the joining bar (let's pretend that's what its called) is ideal visually.

I am interested in knowing about the head sizes.

5. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

I never heard the name "Ernie" referring to drums, but I do remember some bongos like you described.

6. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DTK, the heads sizes measuring from outer bearing edge to the opposite outer bearing edge are 6.5 inches on the small one and 8 inches on the larger one. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I am happy to Facetime you so you can see them "in person".

There is some discoloration or something going on with the joining bar and tried to picture it, as it looks a little hazy.

I thought these may have been Slingerland drums when I first saw them because of the lug (and possibly hoop style?!?), but can not prove that, of course. I can't imagine there are many of these left given the fact they are acrylic and likely 45+ years old I would guess given that is when acrylic drums were in vogue and these were likely made to capitalize on that craze.