an Amazon shipping story w/a happy ending

Discussion in 'General' started by dtk, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:09 PM.

1. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Saw a 24" Aquarian Studio X bass drum head for less than $18. I order it.
    It arrives in a thin cardboard box that looks like has been used for kick boxing training. The aquarian box is bent, the head is bent in two places.

Tuesday at work I get online and start the return process. It asks if I'd like the item replaced. Since the price went back to $42 I press yes/replace. Tuesday night at 6:40pm I return box to Staples for UPS shipping. Staples tells me UPS is done for the day...box will leave Wednesday morning.

Wednesday I get home from work and there is a box 4' high and very light. maybe 4" deep. Open it up...another hard/thick cardboard box....in it...it has shoulders to keep the Aquarian box from shifting. My most recent Soultone cymbal did not get back this well.

I'm amazed a replacement was offered. I'm amazed it got to me within 24 hours of requesting the replacement. I know there's a warehouse in MA now...but still...

2. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Well-Known Member

That was nice of them! I received a few cymbals from them loose in giant boxes, several were bent at 90 degree angles. Really a shame to destroy nice musical instruments.

I actually cancelled my prime membership yesterday after over ten years as a member. Too many instances of delayed shipments and third party sellers delaying orders. It used to to be that if the order was late, they would apply a free month of prime to your account. That ship has sailed. Last couple of times that I complained about late orders, they told me no more free anything, and that two-day prime shipping means two days UPON THEM RECEIVING THE ITEMS. WTF. So two day shipping could mean next year, if the items are late to Amazon. Oh well, I have no issue abandoning a company that I already have zero respect for. Especially their chode of a CEO.

3. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

I've had my share of damaged cymbals from poor Amazon packing, as well. But I also got a surprise when a few years back I received a Ludwig reso bass drum head that was bent, much like yours. They immediately shipped a replacement, and surprisingly told me to keep the bent one, as it was cheaper than shipping it back. Best part was that the head was fairly easy to repair, and once under tension, it worked just fine.

4. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

5. lrod1707

lrod1707 Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out for you. A couple days ago I ordered an Aquarian classic clear snare side head thru Amazon. Today it showed delivered, got home and nothing at the door. I thought somebody took it. 1 hour later my doorbell rings. The delivery person delivered it to a house about 1 block away. The homeowner was nice enough to bring it to my house. How they can deliver to a house with a completely different address is beyond me. But in the end, a happy ending as well.

6. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

don't like amazon....will never order anything from them again...i just use it to search and read reviews....then I order direct from the original supplier if possible...

squidart likes this.
  7. lrod1707

Even the original supplier can be hit or miss. For example, if you buy from Aquarian, they use outside dealers to fulfill the order and those guys usually charge a lot in shipping. I placed an order thru them a couple months ago and had to contact Aquarian. The whole deal ended up being a mess. They messed it all up. Aquarian ended up having to ship to me directly from the factory. Wasn't worth the headache. Amazon has some good prices sometimes and free shipping for prime members. And you can also buy thru them from music shops that sometimes offer cheaper shipping than thru their own website. I just bought some stuff from Chicago music exchange thru Amazon and it was cheaper than direct with them and that worked out fine. In the end, it's luck of the draw. I buy from whoever has what I need in stock and cheap or free shipping. One source that I have also found is Walmart. They have a ton of drum equipment directly sold from them. I've bought pro level Gibraltar equipment from them. They ship free to the store and when it's ready on my way home from work I pick it up. It's convenient and I yet to get anything damaged.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:31 PM
  8. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

i buy from rupps (local denver shop) as much as possible although i live 40 miles away....but wallyworld?? i'm gonna have to check that out...

9. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

Walmart is doing the same drop ship thing many online retailers do. Take your money, shave a few pennies of and have it shipped to you direct without ever doing anything besides taking a cut and inserting another customer service firewall between you and resolution if something goes wrong. I'm not really a walmart basher. (Although I despise their cashier non-staffing policy), but this "service" is little more than a gas station credit card skimmer.

10. lrod1707

I don't see it as that. Matter of fact, I haven't received anything from them has has been drop shipped. My bass pedal, a snare stand and a couple of cymbal stands came from them. I bought it from them and not from any of the sellers that they have listed. My items were shipped directly to me from one of their distribution centers. All Gibraltar equipment. It didn't get shipped from Gibraltar or a vendor. I followed the tracking numbers and all my items came from there. So no, it's not drop shipped. They are keeping live stock of these items. If you've ever seen one of their distribution centers (I have one 10 miles from my house), they are massive. They have the money and space to stock pretty much anything. Amazon does the same thing. I'm sure some things they sell are drop shipped but my stuff wasn't.

11. lrod1707

I found out about it by doing an online search when I was looking for some Gibraltar stuff. They are selling pretty much anything now days. And by the way, the Gibraltar stuff I bought is pro level and not the lower lines that Gibraltar has. So Walmart is stocking all this good stuff. I have discovered though that they still aren't the cheapest for some things. In my case for what I bought they were.