Backpack style hardware case?

Discussion in 'General' started by bongomania, Aug 13, 2018.

1. bongomania

bongomania Well-Known Member

Like many folks I have a cymbal bag with backpack straps, and thats cool; but when I have my kit stacked on a rolly cart, I notice that my hardware bag is lumpy and odd shaped and doesnt stack well, while a cymbal bag will lay flat and stack nicely.

So is there a hardware bag you know of that has backpack straps? Is there a golf bag or similar that you recommend for this purpose?

2. CherryClassic

CherryClassic Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything like that. If your not just bent on a one trip load in I would get a nice roller case and make two trips.

I have a four wheel dolly and have had thoughts of some how adding a small platform on one end. Stand the hardware case upright and strap it to the dolly.

sherm

3. ahambleton

ahambleton Well-Known Member

My first hardware case was my camp box from scout camp. I had to break everything down to make it fit, but fit it did, and in a quite elegant and carry-able form. In the ensuing years, my hardware boxes have followed that same form: rectangular, stackable, relatively easy to lift and carry. Currently, it's a Sterilite 27 gallon industrial tote ( http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=811&ProductCategory=277&section=1 ). I can get all my hardware in it, and it's still managable for a 63-year-old. Granted, I have been paring down my travel kit, using lighter-weight stands where I can, but the whole shebang... roc n soc hydraulic throne base, three DW 6000 cymbal stands, snare stand, Yamaha 700-series HH, side table w/stand, boom arm and clamp, twin rack tom mount, floor tom legs, flat base stand for my monitor mixer... comes in at about 65 pounds and stacks easily on my Rock'n'Roller cart. Since my back surgery last fall, I've also been experimenting with an even smaller case and lighter stands. I can get most... not all... of my stuff into a Dewalt rolling tool box www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/gear-and-equipment/tool-storage/28-tool-box-on-wheels/dwst28100 . I can roll it, or stack it on the R'R'er cart. We have a lot of options for carrying hardware, especially when we look outside the dedicated drumcase market.

4. paul

paul Well-Known Member

I carry my hardware in three bags. An Ahead bag gets the rack tubing, and a Bass Pro Shop medium size boat bag holds the tom and cymbal mounts. A large BPS bag holds throne, hihat, and snare stand. One of the good things about the BPS bags is their flat bottom, which makes them easier to stack on a cart. They're also waterproof. They've also held up quite well under continuous use. Probably not for everyone, but they work well for me.

5. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Ludwig makes one, it's 28" long so you have breakdown your Hi Hat stand of course. Depending on what hardware you use it could get pretty heavy to carry. I have a used one of these that I got in a trade with ludwigfire and it seems to have held up pretty well. It's not tour grade but local gigs should be fine. I prefer a hard case and stack it on my cart.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/ludwig-lx25bo-atlas-classic-hardware-bag/15221?_aid=pla&hfid=15221&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zcDmHveK_7dleqpB4dVZiWw54OtiUIiYphCwE08vYeGopecZyjqrChoCNyIQAvD_BwE

Attached Files:

6. bongomania

bongomania Well-Known Member

THERE we go, that's what I'm talking about, thanks! I just need it for local gigs with my small kit, so it should be perfect for that. Do you know if a round throne seat, moderate padding not one of those big puffy ones, would fit in there along with the other hardware?

I'm also looking at some mountaineering rucksacks. Many of those have extra back support and reinforced bottom sections. Just a matter of finding the right size, without too many unnecessary flaps, straps, pouches that get in the way.

7. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Possibly be able to fit the seat, I've done it on small gigs where I'm taking just my Hi Hat, Snare, and throne and was able to get my throne top in the bag if the bottom of the bag was just a little wider it would fit better.