Butch Norton

Discussion in 'General' started by delco, Sep 10, 2008.

1. delco

delco Very well Known Member

saw where he's part of the Buick 6 Lucinda Williams road band now... can't say I'm familiar with Butch. Does anybody here know much about him? :?

2. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

3. delco

thanks MIke. I saw he was an LA guy too... I have to admit I'm sad Lucinda broke up the Love Band... I really like those guys. but she still has Pettibone with her.

4. jnyman

jnyman Well-Known Member

Pettibone? DOUG Pettibone? Sheesh, I used to play bars with him. He was great then. REALLY great. If he had another gig and the leader didn't want him to sub, he'd simply... NO-SHOW! Somehow he made it funny. and, *cough,cough* I guess it worked for him!

Butch Norton is an LA guy, went to Cal Arts, plays great, did The Eels and other well-respected semi-artsy things and has a great rep. Been around a while.

5. delco

That's the guy! sounds kinda quirky like Lucinda too so they're a good match I guess... He is great player though and does a nice job with her music when I've seen them perform. I think he's been with her since 'Car Wheels' tour after Gurf Morlix departed her band. Are the other Buick 6 guys from LA also?

Doug Pettibone (guitar)
    Chet Lyster (guitar/keys)
    David Sutton (bass)
    Butch Norton (drums/percussion)

6. jnyman

jnyman Well-Known Member

hmmm, sorry, I don't know the other guys... I played with Pettibone on and off--- ONE MILLION years ago! Late 80's. Geez. Me no live in LA no mo.

But with Lucinda, Butch and Doug... man that should be smokin' already!

7. mariosdrums

mariosdrums Pro

Butch is a great dude and a great drummer. He's a guy who's always working and doing lots of cool music and whose name you don't see as much as you should. Some would say underrated. I caught him a couple years ago playing with Tracy Chapman and it was great. He's a buddy of mine so I am glad to see him getting some props here. Go see him if you can!

8. hepkat

hepkat DFO Veteran

I saw Lu when she came through Mpls. on the West tour. Butch was playing his first show with her and it was interesting to see/hear drummer and band adapt to one other. He did just fine and Lucinda sure seemed happy with his big, meaty beat. "Come On" was heavy, if I recall. Here's a quick vid with Butch and Pettibone in the same shot:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AyLm3bVuzu4

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Very well Known Member

I saw Lucinda Williams at the OC Great Park Saturday night and was mightily impressed with Butch. Great drummer. I'd never seen Lu before but have most of her albums, starting with the S/T Rough Trade one back in the late 80s. I knew Doug Pettibone was no longer playing with her, but I didn't know that Blake Mills was the new guy (started back in late April). I saw him play a very low key gig earlier this spring (Watkins Family Hour @ Largo with Sean and Sara Watkins). He's got a a unique style, but I'm just not a fan. But even that (and Lu's ear monitor problems) did not deter me from enjoying the show, and discovering Butch in the process. I've been playing along with Buttercup and Seeing Black from the Blessed album as of late.