Call Me Old Fashion....But...

Discussion in 'Electronic Drum Zone' started by Gcort49, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Gcort49

Gcort49 Well-Known Member

For the last 9 months, I lived in an apartment while I have a house built. Needless to say, all my 'drum toys' went into storage.

I opted during the 9 months to purchase 3 Pintech Pads and a Pintech module to continue practicing with. I continued to use my regular cymbals and Bop size kick. Muffled of course.

Now that I am moving, I am looking to reunite with my drums in a special sound proof room I had built into the house. Long overdue. If anything was learned over the last 9 months, I found myself to be more of a traditionalist than I realized. I see no future in my drum-life for 'e-drums'. Not saying they are useless. I have no doubt there is a majority niche out there. I can appreciate the value and potential they offer. But being old schooled (69 yo), and playing for half a century, and at times it seems longer, I miss my maple shells and mylar heads

...give me back my Sonor Kit. I love the smell of 'drums' and the sounds of Remo Ambassadors and Evans G2's.

That all being said, I placed my pads up for sale...any interest, check the For Sale forum.

Peace!

2. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Congrats on the new new house, I wish you many years of happiness there.

3. jazzerone

jazzerone Well-Known Member

Not old fashioned, just set in what you like and don't like. E-drums have their purpose, but they are no more a replacement or substitute for acoustic drums than an electric keyboard is for an acoustic piano. Sure, you can select the Grand Piano setting on an electric keyboard, but would you play Bach on it in a concert setting? Right tool for the right job.

Nice to have a soundproof room...I have one, too. Got my acoustics set up right next to my e-drums

4. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

When you build that soundproofed room, (Assuming you get it right) -

Don't forget to have a way to supply oxygen into it! (A common mistake.)

And don't forget to have that air supply go though some kind of muffling chamber, or everything else will be a waste. (Another common mistake.)

5. jazzerone

jazzerone Well-Known Member

huh... no wonder I keep passing out in there....

6. dtk

dtk DFO Master

4 years ago i joined some guys trying to put together a synth band...two synth players and a bass player...they also owned a set of Roland E drums.
    I thought this was going to be my dream gig ...hated it....I love the nuances you get from real drums and cymbals.

My idea is a kit that gives me both (like the guy from Midnight oil)...now to find a band where that works.

7. Cauldronics

Cauldronics DFO Master

A 'convincing' e-kit requires a lot of patience, time and unfortunately money, and even then it comes down to whether or not you'd rather hear, feel and react to playing real drums versus canned. There's just no way around the canned part, but the sound and performance (visually and audibly, not physically) can be indistinguishable if no one made you the wiser.

Put your biases away for a minute and tell me this doesn't at least 'sound' if not look, real.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018