Do many Pros/Semi-Pros use E-drums ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Drum Zone' started by michaelg, Sep 4, 2018.

1. michaelg

michaelg Very well Known Member

Do many of you guys who gig regularly use an e-kit for practice ?

I currently use Aquarian superpads and Zildjian L80's which are great but I'm tempted to pick up a 2nd hand Roland e-kit primarily as i like the idea of being able to mix MP3's thru the module for play-along.

2. dtk

dtk DFO Master

I think the issue of using them for practice has been that they feel different (pads vs heads).

I was surprised at a concert this summer to see 3/4's of the bands using e drums with their acoustics.

3. michaelg

Thanks, yes I've tried them a few times in the past and not really a fan of how them feel etc etc but being able to mix in MP3's for practice in earphones appeals to me.

My idea is to use the ekit for just MP3's and then when i want to work on other stuff i"ll just fit my L80's on them and place my superpads/reflexx over them.

4. electrodrummer

electrodrummer Member

Try Yamaha silicone pads if you're looking for quiet with a mylar feel. Mesh is horrible. Boing Boing.

5. wolfereeno

wolfereeno Well-Known Member

why not? don't drummer drum on everything?!

I practice on my vdrum-ish set at home all the time. Mainly for volume as I'm in an apt, but also for ease of recording and frankly experimental fun since it's midi'd up to everything.

But I also have a share in a practice room where I can play my acoustics. It's different but that's what's fun!

6. jazzerone

jazzerone Well-Known Member

I practice on both, play out on both. They're not the same instrument, like an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar are not the same instrument, like an acoustic piano and an electric piano are not the same instrument. If your question is, can you transfer your practice on an e-kit to your a-kit, the answer is... it depends. If you practice doubles and speed on the bouncy mesh heads of an e-kit and expect the same results on an a-kit, then no. You can't practice dynamics on an e-kit. After listening to the sampled drum sounds of an e-kit through headphones some guys are disappointed with the sound of their a-kits and start to tinker with heads, tuning, sticks for no good reason.

On the other hand, if you understand they are not the same instrument and use the e-kit as a practice tool to develop your ears, your approach to the music, your time, your musicality on fills and solos, and just as a generic substitute that allows you to play when acoustic drums are not an option, then yes.

It really is all about understanding that you've got 2 very different instruments.

wolfereeno likes this.
  7. michaelg

Thanks Lads, I wouldn't be using it to practice technique, only for learning songs and playing along with drumless tracks.

8. rogerwilco

rogerwilco Active Member

I put a set of mesh heads on a set of Breakbeats and it's a fine practice kit for working parts out or shedding ideas. It's just enough tone to get a feel for the notes without driving everyone in my family nuts. To me, the full e-kit is fun for its own applications but not worth the money if it's a practice substitute.

To be honest, I thought the dynamic difference between mesh/real would be more of a hinderance but it hasn't been much of an issue.