Double bass drums with cocktail Tom

Discussion in 'General' started by Juuicekid, May 17, 2018.

1. Juuicekid

Juuicekid New Member

Anyone ever try to get a sort of double bass drum kit by using a cocktail style drum as the second bass on the side of a hi hat? Im really interested in the idea of drums replicating samples music and this seems like something in that veign.

2. p83

p83 New Member

that is a cool idea. would the cocktail drum be a bit high depending on how you sit?

3. dtk

dtk Gold

I think DW had a pedal that clipped to the lower rim of a floor tom so it would allow you to do that. I like the idea/pathyour on...keep us posted

4. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member

Louie Bellson used a Cocktail tom in his set up but I don't think he used the pedal. He was way ahead of his time....wonder if AVH got his ideas from this set.

Attached Files:

5. Juuicekid

Juuicekid New Member

Yeh the heigh may be an issue- but the idea is that would be more of a bass drum than a tom but a tom when I need to be. Really unsure and dont necessarily have the equipment to do it right now but I did want to see if anyone knew of people doing this because I like the idea of having 2 kicks with different tones. Couldnt I just use a regular 1616/14 floor Tom? And I didnt know about that pedal Ill have to check it out. Nor did I know about this drummer why was he using it if he didnt use a kick pedal, any idea?

6. Bongo Brad

Bongo Brad New Member

When I saw Matt Abts in X2 with Johnny Neel, he didn't have any bass drums. He had a floor tom on each side with cocktail pedals.

7. BonzoBonham

BonzoBonham Member

Does Whitey Glan, his Camco kit with the double bass drums set up cocktail-style count?