Drummers That Suck

Discussion in 'General' started by DrumSmith, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrumSmith

DrumSmith Well-Known Member

The recent thread "Missed the groove" got me thinking about how polite we all try to be.

Are ALL established drummers rarefied air? Does Roger Earl need to be put on a pedestal? Hell I don't know, he sounds fine to me.

Can you think of any drummers that were in a well-known band that just didn't cut it for you?

2. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

I think that the all-time leader of this category must be Lynn Eastman of the Kingsmen who played drums on the record of Louie Louie before abandoning that to concentrate on being the stand-up lead singer.

3. 10thAvenueDrummer

10thAvenueDrummer Very well Known Member

This is the reason I stopped going to open mic nights. I can't think of any big names in particular.

4. drumhead

drumhead Jer-ry! Jer-ry!

I saw Poison at a time when I was reviewing concerts and Ricky's performance was pretty bad.

It reminded me of a high school garage band. His time was terrible, he missed hits, and overall just felt clumsy and like he was struggling.

I've met Ricky and like him as a person, and he may be a much better drummer than the night I saw him. That was around 1997.

But hey, he's there and I'm here so there's that.

5. 67Mopar

67Mopar God Speed Jerry

sometimes its better to be lucky than good, I think we have all been at a show and said to yourself, man I can do that, Im way better than him. That Said I'll call them lucky drummers, and the luckiest has to be C watts , or D wilson, rest his soul.

6. Cymbalist

Cymbalist Very well Known Member

If I have nothing good to say about someone, I usually remain silent..

AaronLatos and forgiven7x like this.
  7. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

7 posts in and my name hasn't been mentioned yet...so far, so good... :unsure:

TDM, AaronLatos and combatdrummer like this.
  8. Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo DFO Master

HAH HAH HAH :notworthy:

9. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Ed could almost match Buddy in some ways. BUT, I thought he just didn't have the feel or fills for big band rock like Doc had going. It was all head movement and waving at the cymbals. He might have sounded better if you were in the audience though. IMO Ace

10. hefty

hefty DFO Master

I won't add to a list like this because if I was really lucky and in a big name band I'd be likely to be added to a list like this.

11. Thwack

Thwack Very well Known Member

Well, I pretty much suck, so I'm in no position to criticize others.
    So I don't.

12. cfsboyce1957

cfsboyce1957 Well-Known Member

I always thought ginger baker was overrated. To me he just banged around on the drums. But I've recently grown to like him more.

13. GeneZ

GeneZ DFO Master

If it went on record? They usually brought a studio musician in if the drummer was not good enough. I can not think of a single hit record where any of the musicians sucked, let alone the drummer. If they sucked? They did not make records.

As for the Kingsmen drummer on Louie Louie? I thought his drumming was excellent for the type of song it was. Goes to show you. This topic can too often lead to highly subjective opinions. Taste, not fact.

14. 5 Style

5 Style DFO Master

Ha!... Honestly, I feel pretty much the same way. That wouldn't stop me from listing a few of my least favorites/most over rated though... except for the fact that I've done so a few times before and it seems like after a point, it's silly to go over that kind of thing.

Actually, I don't find that many well known players to be technically bad, just maybe having a groove that I don't like or maybe I feel that they're skills overrated. I rarely hear a anything by a well known touring band where I think that the drummer is bringing the quality of the music down. Usually, I find the drummer to be just fine within the style of music that they're playing, but I might not like the music as a whole.

I bet that whatever you and I think of our own playing, rough spots and all, if we were to be able to play with a group that was getting enough of a name that we could afford to dedicate more of our time and energy to playing the music, we'd be pretty damn good players. I have no doubt that at least in the realm of rock and roll where serious study of music isn't really the norm, that a lot of folks really only got their playing together when they realized that they had an opportunity to take their music to the next stage. It's hard to have the same level of motivation as weekend warrior. I know that for myself, I play in several bands but it never seems like any of 'em get together all that often. Not enough for me to really feel like I've honed my parts in any of the groups. When playing is your job though, you get it together. Note: I realize that this isn't the situation with session type musicians like Tommy here who had to have their playing very well together before they started getting the work that they do. The session players have to play everything, get it in one take, etc and so there's no room for slack!

15. pbloxam

pbloxam Very well Known Member

Loaded question! Not sure about drummers that suck but there are so many and all different levels of proficiency!

Can't think of any that "made" it and if they did make it at whatever level they are or were, it's obvious they didn't "suck"!

They just might not be chop monsters but they got the gig!

16. cworrick

cworrick The BIG Bunny on the block

I'm not saying anything...

but I'm also holding my breath for the first one to post Wallin again. <_<

:bunny:

17. st.inc

st.inc Very well Known Member

i think peter cris from kiss is a allright drummer and worked fine for the 70's kiss stuff but he is just not a good enough drummer for the newer stuff after him. kind of sucks for when he toured with them again.gene and paul really liked it when eric carr joined the band it took them to another level.

18. franke

franke DFO Master

Like actors who get paid to appear on stage or screen, musicians who get to record and perform in front of a large, paying audiences, rarely suck, for the simple reason that there is too much money involved in recording and promotion to tolerate musicians who cannot cut it. We all have bad nights, and, to be sure, many well-known players have limited technique, but let's not confuse unimaginative, un-creative, repetitive, or simplistic playing with sucking. Moreover, there are plenty of so-called super drummers out there whose playing doesn't grab me at all. Do they suck? Not at all, but their choices do - or at least I think so.

AaronLatos likes this.
  19. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

buddy, gene, ringo, neil, bonham, phillips, moon, cameron, vinny, ect,ect,ect

20. davezedlee

davezedlee DFO Veteran

i've seen a few "popular" or "signed" bands that had rhythm sections that sounded like they were playing different songs, yet people didn't seem to mind, or even notice

or maybe it was just me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.