DW6000 pedals

Discussion in 'General' started by michaelg, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:01 PM.

1. michaelg

michaelg Very well Known Member

Doing some research on these pedals, never played a DW before but i have a n old tama/camco, Wondering if the 6000 pedal would feel similar to it ? I'm also looking into the accelerator model, Any love/hate for this pedal ? thanks

2. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

interesting...i'm looking at getting a new 6000 strap pedal right now...its very very close in function to the original gretsch floating action which is my all time favorite pedal....the 6000 chain drive is a more linear feel like the tama/camco (btw i have both tama/ camco and the camco gretsch floating action)

i'm getting the strap pedal because i love the feel and speed of the strap cam design...and its on sale for 130 at MF....

michaelg likes this.
  3. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

I bought one but returned it. Nice feel, but I found the default footboard angle to be higher than I like, and when I lowered it to the next hole on the strap, the bottom of the footboard would tap against the hoop tensioning wingnut.

michaelg likes this.
  4. zenghost

zenghost DFO Veteran

I had a Tama Camco with the concentric chain/sprocket design many years ago. I've found I prefer a strap drive pedal with an eccentric or offset cam - considered an "accelerated" design.

I have a small stable of 5000/6000 pedals all of which are "NX" models - strap-driven with the accelerator cam. This is the pedal upon which I have standardized because it feels best to me and I cannot outplay it. Some of these pedals have been acquired quite inexpensively and converted to strap/cam drive. Drum Factory Direct typically has all the parts you could want for these pedals.

The 6000 pedal uses the radius rod base design. Some folks prefer this design for various reasons, including weight-savings in the hardware bag. I prefer the pedals to have a base plate for general stability and the hoop clamp adjustment/drum-key holder. Just this past weekend I converted a 6000 radius rod pedal by installing the base plate I picked up on a Black Friday sale.

If you're patient, you can pick up the chain/sprocket pedals on Reverb or Ebay for $60 and convert them for under $15. Better yet, some double-pedal models can be converted to two single pedals, which I've done as well.

michaelg likes this.
  5. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the 6000. It does feel like the old Camco. I use the chain version. I tried the strap, but just didn't have that feel that I'm used to.

michaelg likes this.
  6. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

i know this issue and am going to make a custom length strap for it like i've done with my floating action pedal for years....may be able to put another hole between the 2 on the oem strap also...

7. SteveB

SteveB DFO Master

I own a strap drive 6000 for when I play a single pedal. I went with the same logic concerning the Camco which was my first pedal when they came standard with Rogers kits in the early 60's. I'm not sure but I believe the chain version is doubled up now...no need for the beef in my opinion.

8. michaelg

michaelg Very well Known Member

interesting, is it difficult to disassemble and covert these pedals ? is there a guide somewhere online ?

9. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

I converted a 5000 chain drive to strap last year. Not too difficult at all. I followed these instructions below. I'd love to give credit to the original author, but I don't remember where I got the info from anymore.

-- So, to remove the cam:
    1. Unfasten pedal spring from hub.
    2. Remove the chain from the footboard.
    3. Loosen the beater hub set screw (mine is a 7/16 wrench, but I'm not sure if that is original).
    4. Loosen chain cam set screw (allen wrench).
    5. Holding onto the beater hub for grip, loosen and remove the nut on the left side of the shaft (the side opposite the spring). Mine uses the same 7-16 wrench as the beater hub.
    6. Slowly remove the shaft from the spring side. Slide off the chain cam and install the strap cam.
    7. Put everything back together and tighten it up in reverse order.

I also added a little lithium grease to the innards just to ensure things remained smooth.

michaelg likes this.