Fun gig opportunity for me tonight

Discussion in 'General' started by wflkurt, Jul 13, 2018.

1. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

So my gig schedule has been the worst it has been in years this year and it's starting to pick up. My current band played last night for the first time in months as our male singer(we have a male and female lead singer) just became cancer free and is now getting back on his feet. We play Saturday as well but tinight is the odd one.

I'm filling in with a blues rock type band that I have never played with before doing a show in Lowell Massachusetts opening for big Head Todd and the Monsters. No rehearsal, meet most of the guys at the gig(I kind of know the leader guy), set up my kit, sound check and go... I have had two days to learn the set via YouTube so hopefully no surprises. It's not like I have to play a set of ELP tunes or crazy out there Frank Zappa stuff so I'm not too worried. Still it feels odd to just show up to a big open venue like this and go for it especially when I have had such a slow year. Nothing like a little pressure to get things moving again.

If that wasn't enough I think I'm going to throw caution to the wind and change my set up from last night for this band. I'm going to bring my 68 Oyster Black super classic Ludwigs tonight to get the vintage vibe going. Fortunately most of my hardware and cymbals will stay the same. I just have to remember to bring that stupid 60's hex wrench so I can put up the rail, add the tom and cymbal off the bass drum. I will be up a creek without that. I also have longer gull wing spur reproductions on the bass drum so there is plenty of room to get the kick settled. My 66 supra that I have owned since I was 12 will be my snare tonight too.

The weather looks beautiful today and I'm pretty excited.

2. PressRoll

PressRoll Very well Known Member

I'm sure you will do great. Just relax and have a great time!

3. Castnblast

Castnblast Very well Known Member

- anytime I've walked into a quasi unknown gig (smaller clubs not big open venues) I've always been stressed prior. Usually, it turns out to be more fun that slugging through the same 30ish tunes that I would play with my regular cover gig.
    Everyones ears are open and lots of times the first time you play a tune with new guys is the freshest it will ever be.

Maybe you can get 30 minutes together prior to the gig and talk trhough endings or any weird breaks or bridges.

Have fun, and ya those hex wrenchs are thee worst!

4. Topsy Turvy

Topsy Turvy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun night! Be sure to post pics.

5. Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer Well-Known Member

Clearly you are experienced and wouldn't be there if you werent more than qualified. You've seen the stuff and gone through it no doubt. Play relaxed and enjoy meeting the band and the new experience. These are the challenges we grow from. Also most likely if there is a rough spot you all will power through it an the audience wont notice anyway. We always are more critical of our performance than others are.

6. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Thanks guys. Isn't the best part of being the drummer the ability to power through a mistake and make it look like it was someone else's fault?? Lol

I definitely looking forward to it. Sometime a little pressure and the unknown is a good healthy thing. If I get any pics or there is video I will post it.

Thanks again!

7. fishaa

fishaa Very well Known Member

Id like to see those drums!

8. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Sound like an awesome gig! And an awesome kit! Yes, a pic would be great......and BHTodd rocks, too! Good luck.....

9. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

You will do fine Kurt, just keep your ears and eyes open for changes, you know the drill. Keep the fills to a minimum and groove your butt off.

10. drummertom

drummertom DFO Veteran

Boarding House Park in Lowell? Looks like a nice venue. Wish I could make it up there tonight.

I'm sure you'll kill it. Have a great gig!

11. drummerbill

drummerbill DFO Master

Sounds like a great gig, have fun !! {I just got a call a few hours ago, subbing for Luther Rix tomorrow eve. I know all the tunes band is doing, but always interesting showing up and gigging with new bandmates !!} ;-) :)
    Have fun, and "kill it " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Keep us posted (and pics would be nice)!

13. Rockin' Billy

Rockin' Billy Very well Known Member

Enjoy, be 'one' with the music, and get paid and have fun!

14. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Have a blast and yes, pics are mandatory! ;-)

15. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Sorry for the late response to this but I figured I would share my night a little. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of pics and I have not really seen much video. The show went well and I got through it OK considering the first time I played a note with these guys was at sound check. My normal set up for gigs is my 2012 classic maple Ludwig in 22,13,14,16 sizes and for this gig I decided to go vintage. I used my 1968 oyster black Ludwig set and went with my 1966 supra that I have owned since I was 12 as it came with my first set of drums(a Gretsch I still own). The set was well liked by everyone and I was quite happy with it. I thought it sounded a tad thin compared to my classic maples but I had a friend in the audience that thought it sounded great and he liked it better than the DW set Brian from Big head Todd had.

We played 40 minutes and we had a pretty good crowd. I watched BHT do their sound check and the most odd thing to me was how Brian Nevin(BHT drummer) had his kit set up. The rack tom was lower than the snare drum, the seat was super high and the ride was up high and positioned way far to the right. I never would have been able to play that set. We did not bother the BHT guys before their show and after we finished we hung around and watched them after our gear was packed up and put back in our cars. BHT has been together for over 30 years and they sounded great. They were professional and the musicianship was spot on. They looked like they were having fun and they were great with the audience. The mix they had was good too and it was a solid performance.

We had a dressing room in the second floor of the building next to the stage and BHT was on the third floor. After the show finished we were able to go up and meet the guys and they could not have been nicer. Of course brian and I geeked out on drum talk(big surprise) and he was super cool. we taked about Tony Williams, Max and Elvin for an hour after. I'm not sure if I will do any more gigs with this band as it is up to them and what they need but it was a fun time. Here a few pics that I have. I got sandwiched between the BHT guys so if I wanted I could crop everyone else out... Lol

Attached Files:

16. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Nice story, pictures and of course the dirt on the BHT drummer! Man those guys look old. I saw them 25 years ago! Right on, Kurt....

17. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Thanks JAZZ. Brian was a really nice guy and I had a blast talking jazz and other drum related stuff with him.

18. Tomb

Tomb Very well Known Member

looks like fun Kurt, and I love that oyster black set you brought out. Beautiful!

19. What It Is

What It Is Well-Known Member

That's what it's all about! Congrats on a great night!