Hoops for a 12inch snare

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by EG drums, Jan 30, 2019.

1. EG drums

EG drums Member

Hi - I`m working on a 12inch stave snare and not sure what to do with the hoops. I`m a fan of die cast hoops for rim shots and dry sound but they only come with 6 lugs for 12 inch (Vs 8 lugs with tripple flange). My concern is potential issues with tuning if I go with 6 lugs, especially on the batter side with the snare beds and all...

Choices are die cast with 6 lugs or 2.3/3.0 triple flange hoops with 8 lugs.

What to choose? What to choose? please help! :)
    Thanks

2. davezedlee

davezedlee DFO Veteran

The bigger question is how will a 12" fare with 16 lugs?

Might be unnecessary overkill, could run into problems fitting the throw and butt properly

3. AaronLatos

AaronLatos spang spang a lang

I've got an 8-lug 5.75x12 with Noble and Cooley style lugs. Big overbuilt throw, fits just fine.

Assuming you have a typo in your post regarding
    "batter side with the snare beds and all" and meant snare side.

One of my main drums is a 6.5x14 6-lugger. No issue with the snare side, no issues with tuning. Just a great sounding drum. On a 12, the lugs will be closer together, so you should be just fine.

I've heard cats crank Gretsch 12" toms (which have 5-hole diecast hoops) into the stratosphere (tabletop tight, 'plink,' zero sustain). They do just fine. If you're worried about stability at all, consider using center lugs so that the batter and snare side tension is taken off of the shell and put onto the lug. 6 lugger should work out fine for you.

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I have a 5x10 Pearl Popcorn snare with 6 lugs - I tune it pretty high (think ska/reggae) but I have a crude homemade o-ring on it (like 2" diameter) to drop the pitch and fatten the sound (as the snare doesn't sound good with a mid tuning). But it stays in tune just fine for 6 lugs.

5. MillerMav

MillerMav Well-Known Member

I custom built a 13 ply beech shell snare that is 5.75"x12" and I went with six lugs for that. For hoops I got a set of DW true hoops which work great and sound fantastic. I tune it up pretty high and have had no issues with detuning or anything like that. The lugs are Pearl sensitone double enders.

6. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Miller, does DW make 12" snare hoops, or did you modify the bottom hoop to make the snare gate (ie: the old hack saw routine!)?

7. dtk

dtk DFO Master

what do does Pearl and the other manufactures use on their 12s?
    I have a 13 with 6 lugs (was a timbale) and a few 14s with 6 lugs... FWIW I'm not a fan of diecasts.

8. MillerMav

MillerMav Well-Known Member

I modified a tom reso hoop. Just drilled two holes on either side, rounded the cut and used string instead of strap for the wires. Works great!

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I've done that, too! Cool.....

10. cplueard

cplueard Well-Known Member