How much can you improve a pedal by changing the springs

Discussion in 'General' started by Balance, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Balance

Balance Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about buying another kick pedal, if I do, this will be my fourth as I have three already. But perhaps I can improve my Yamaha C9500, have read that the DW 9000 springs are a really good upgrade to cheaper pedals.

Has anyone had experience with changing springs, especially the dw9000 springs on another pedal? Or perhaps they're all the same?

2. Seb77

Seb77 Very well Known Member

What would be an upgrade for you I'd say depends on your playing style. I play rather quiet for example. Years ago I modded a Pearl Eliminator with a lighter spring from an older Pearl pedal. I've since changed to lighter overall pedals in terms of weight since they feel easier to navigate in quieter settings, but the spring change was an improvement.

3. drumjinxjr

drumjinxjr Well-Known Member

Swapped out my stock JoJo pedal springs for DW and noticed a big difference.

4. Balance

Cool, sounds like it's worth experimenting.

5. Balance

Interesting. How would you describe what the difference was? Quicker response? Less resistance?

6. noreastbob

noreastbob Very well Known Member

I would say it depends totally on how bad or worn your present spring is. Given that a spring can only get weaker over time, and the fact that you can increase the tension until the spring is a twisted wire (a huge range of adjustment) a spring "upgrade" may be of limited value.
    Unless your present spring is too tight at it's loosest setting, there is nothing to be gained. Stretchable springs are just a progressive resistance force.
    Now... what if someone were to introduce multiple rate springs to the equation...?

7. Balance

Hmmm... What would give you least resistance with good recoil?

8. noreastbob

noreastbob Very well Known Member

Well personally I like really loose, or light spring tension. I also don't run very high head tension and use a combination of burying the beater and releasing it via a sort of floating heel up technique.
    If you want rebound I would recommend loose spring and enough head tension to give lively rebound.