in-ear monitors - very uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Ask the Pros' started by dbeck928, Sep 25, 2018.

1. dbeck928

dbeck928 New Member

Guys,
    This is my first post.
    I'm 66 yrs old - lifelong professional drummer. Our band is transitioning to in-ear monitoring, and we all love the great benefits. Except ... the Shure SE215 set I bought works fine but are VERY uncomfortable. It is actual pain simply from the hard case against my outer ear. If they were comfortable I would use them now and forever.

I don't know what to look at next. I can use my Vic Firth isolation headphones - which sound great and are comfortable - but I don't like the look. very sweaty and hot on out door summer gigs.

Will appreciate any advice.
    Dave

2. speady1

speady1 Gold

Hi Dave,

I too hated the Shure 215's that I tried first. Same thing you describe. I took the plunge and went custom-fit and couldn't be any happier. I got a set of CMVK five-driver IEM's from Alclair. You can have molds made at almost any audiologist office for $50-$60. Depending on the IEM's you choose, you are looking at $300-well over $1,000. The ones I got have lots of low end so I can "feel" the bass and kick drum. I think they were $550. I can't recommend the folks at Alclair enough.

https://alclair.com/monitorshop/

I would strongly recommend custom-fit if it's something that you'll be using at every gig. I also use mine on recording sessions, cutting the grass, etc. It is very well worth the additional cost in my opinion.

3. rogerwilco

rogerwilco Active Member

Before you guy a new set be sure to try different tips. Yellow foam cylinders, rubber "star" tips, gray foamall fit different and can affect how much of the IEM will sit comfortable in the ear.

I like my 215s but also have a set of Westone which have a slightly smaller casing and are easier to wear without noticing them for longer periods of time.

4. gbow

gbow Well-Known Member

Try some comply tips for them. I had the same problem and the comply tips fixed that issue. I have a custom molded set that after some years started to not seal very well. The SE215's with the comply tips are as comfortable as the custom molded ones and actually seal better.

The SE215s take the 100 size tips. I would get the small/medium/large pack at first to determine which size best fits your ears. I like the sport version as they are designed to stay in your ears, but I move around a lot playing.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Earphone-Etymotic-HBS-1100-Replacement/dp/B0722HF772/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538575519&sr=8-2&keywords=comply%2Btips%2Bsport%2Bsx-100&th=1

gabo

5. NDdrummer13

NDdrummer13 Well-Known Member

I have been using custom mold in ear monitors since 2004 and I will not play a large stage without them. Set aside the benefits of what you can actually hear with them they will save your hearing. Being on stage for 25 years has taken its toll. I made the jump back in 2004 when a sound guy thought it would be ok to sit a Dual 15 speaker right behind me and try to blow me off my drum throne with his mix.

The custom molds are expensive but they are well worth it comfort and sound wise.

Good Luck.