Is this normal? Sore, bruised left forearm..

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Tacovine, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Tacovine

Tacovine Member

Hi all.. I'm new to drumming...I'm a guitar player that got handed a kit, set it up and am having a go at it, finding it pretty addictive... Anyway, was practicing for a week or so and noticed my left forearm getting sore on the under (non-hairy) side which didn't surprise me because I drum traditional grip because that is how I learned in grade school and that is clearly not a motion I'm used to doing every day.. What does surprise me is that side of the forearm is now really bruised in two spots.. one pretty much under the widest part of my forearm and other about half way between the elbow and the wrist. Is this normal or something off with my technique? Since I noticed I'm been mainly practicing matched hand but am obviously not as good with the left this way. Should I keep working on matched or just give it time and go back to traditional. Thanks..

2. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

I think that you are stressing yourself too much too fast.

3. hardbat

hardbat Very well Known Member

I don't know the cause, but it does NOT sound normal.

When I was young, on into my 40s, I never had any sort of injury or soreness from drumming. Then I quit for 8 years. Since I started again, I now do feel some slight effects in my wrists and ankles after playing a long set. But nothing like you describe. I have also heard of some marching drummers getting repetitive motion injury if they were using kevlar heads, but not on mylar heads.

Each impact of the stick on a drum/cymbal transmits a shock through the stick and into your hand/arm. Proper grip and technique with respect to rebound should mitigate that to a degree. Perhaps you are gripping the sticks too tight?

4. Tacovine

Tacovine Member

No.. I don't really grip them tight at all and I'm not pounding them. The bruises are what freaked me out.. I would expect to get a sore as that movement is not something I have been doing. The other sort of strange thing is it doesn't really hurt when I'm drumming traditional style.

5. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

I'd see a doctor. The bruising doesn't sound right when there is no impact happening.

6. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Could you be whacking your arm with your right stick once in a while? It's easy to do especially if your hi hat is low and snare is high. You're playing traditional which would expose that portion of your arm to the stick. I experienced that once with my wrist during a time when I was getting back into drums, and I couldn't even feel it when it happened. When I raised the hi hat the pain and bruising went away.

7. Tacovine

Tacovine Member

Turns out I have an appointment with an Ortho tomorrow on another issue.. will ask about this and update everyone.

8. Tacovine

Tacovine Member

Hi all.. saw the ortho today and show him my arm. He was surprised but not really concerned. Did suggest I stretch the forearm by extending the arm and pulling my fingers towards me.

Since I've been noodling with match grip I wonder if its best to stay that way. I'm not as powerful as traditional with the left but I'm sure it would improve pretty quickly. Would probably just have to re-position the snare a bit as I seem to hit the rim more by accident..