Kit Reconfiguration Help Requested

Discussion in 'General' started by Bullseye_Doc_Holiday, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday New Member

I recently sold my 2nd kit. Rather, I did a partial trade for a nice snare + cash. This is action based on my thoughts in my "downsizing" thread here: http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/151114-downsizing/

So what I'm left with is my 2008 DW Collectors in Broken Glass Finishply in 8x10, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16, 18x22.
    Snares: Acrolite, 6.5x14 Black Beauty (LB417), and 2002 DW Collectors 10&6 Exotic Quilted Maple 5x14.

I ended up selling/trading the Frequent Flyer kit for a few reasons:
    1. The Collector's kit is nicer
    2. The Collector's kit has more drums/sizes and is more versatile
    3. The Collector's kit is a wrap, not a lacquer and more durable; both for kids and gigging
    4. The Collector's kit was sort of a gift from my wife. Basically I sold a kit and then the difference in cost counted as my birthday/father's day/anniversary gift for that year. It also was for my 31st birthday and my birthday is on the 31st, so golden birthday = golden drums. She gets a kick out of it.

Anyway, with all that said, here's where I'm still struggling just a little, and maybe it's stupid, buuuuuuut:

The 18x22 kick. It feels MASSIVE after sitting behind that 12x20 FF kick and I sit behind a 14x20 at church twice a week. At this point, my kit is only a home kit because I'm not gigging anywhere, but if I were to get a call, it would probably be either a small acoustic singer/songwriter type thing or some old jazz/R&B standards.

I feel right at home on downbeat sizes and so again, an 18x22 is world's apart from a 14x20.

Do I just suck it up and deal with the 18x22 (it does sound really good), or do I:

1. Try and sell the whole kit and find another in Broken Glass so the nostalgic gift part kinda stays the same, but get the sizes I want (12/14/20, maybe a 10 also)

2. Sell the 18x22 and try to find a 14x20 in Broken Glass.

Or, is there something I'm not considering? Thanks in advance either way for your input. And since we all like pics of drums, here's the kit currently set up 12/16/22 with the new Quilted Maple snare:

IMG_2819.JPG

2. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Gold

As a collector of gold badge DW broken glass drums, I know that finding a matching bass is sometimes difficult and expensive, but they do come up on eBay/ Reverb every now and again ( I own a 20 bass in BG FinishPly).

I say keep the 22, use it for now while trying to find the 20. I love the FinishPly for its durability, and I love what it does under stage lights!

3. Tuckerboy

Tuckerboy Platinum

If you decide you would rather keep the drum kit you could send the 22 shell to Precision Drum or Bill at Pork Pie Percussion and have it cut down to a 14 depth, it wouldnt be too expensive though shipping would cost more than the service. If desired, you could use the 4 cut shell as a specialty drum, a gong type drum or shallow depth bass drum, with additional hardware for that particular shell. I had a 22X20 cut down to 22X15 on a kit I didnt want to replace and never looked back. I use the 22X5 excess shell as a lower volume bass drum with a practice kit and with the newly installed Inde brackets I can also mount it on a tom stand.

4. Houndog

Houndog Well-Known Member

The only option I see viable is to add on to what you have , come on man, the Wife bought those drums !!!!!
    You can't sell those ,come to your senses and just BUY MORE ....

5. drummerbum

drummerbum spang spang a lang

Yep, I agree with Tucker. Get that bass drum chopped down to a 12 or 14 x 22 and you'll be significantly happier, I'm sure. Then, take your time and find a matching 20 bass drum... or just order a new one. Then, not only will you have options, but if you get into a gigging situation, you can leave half of the kit setup at home and pack the other half up for gigs.

If you dig these drums, there's absolutely no reason to start from scratch.

6. drummerbum

drummerbum spang spang a lang

Yep, I agree with Tucker. Get that bass drum chopped down to a 12 or 14 x 22 and you'll be significantly happier, I'm sure. Then, take your time and find a matching 20 bass drum... or just order a new one. Then, not only will you have options, but if you get into a gigging situation, you can leave half of the kit setup at home and pack the other half up for gigs.

If you dig these drums, there's absolutely no reason to start from scratch.

7. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Member

+1

8. Elvis

Elvis The King of Rock'n'Roll

Didn't read through the thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's a third option,
    Shelve the 18x22 and get a 22" Woofer.
    You'll be surprised at how much the change in depth doesn't change the sound.
    It will be a little drier, but it will retain an amazing similarity to the 22 you now have.
    I wouldn't advise getting rid of the 18x22 because its part of that kit your wife got you, so the whole thing really does belong together, but the Woofer will give you options that will likely work well for your intended purposes.
    Trust me, I have a 22x8 bass drum and mine's just some generic someone cut in half and it sound very much like a regular depth 22.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elvis

9. Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

When I looked into having it cut in the past, the re-rings were an issue. Is that not the case?

10. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Member

I would just order a new bass drum from DW in that finish and keep the 22".

11. AtlantaDrumGuy

AtlantaDrumGuy New Member

Yep.

12. cplueard

cplueard Member

That was my thought, unless you get someone to put a different set of rings on the chopped end you're going to have an issue with re-rings. Unless you feel the size is actually affecting comfort or playing I'd leave it. Throw a small blanket or something when you gotta singer/songwriter it and roll with it.

13. VintageUSA

VintageUSA Active Member

Or even just buy an orphan 20-inch that is of similar quality..................it will sound the same and won't cost you a fortune.
    But, yes.................keep the 22 with the others.

14. JDA

JDA Well-Known Member

Convert the 14x16 to a bass drum Do your best won't regret. You have most of what you need already; Ts _claws from 22", need hoops.

Elvis likes this.
  15. funkypoodle

funkypoodle Well-Known Member

This idea appeals to me. I love woofer kicks. I've owned two 20 x 8 kicks that were both fantastic & really everything Elvis described. A 22 x 8 in your finish with your 12 & 14 would make a killer gigging kit. No sacrificing a birthday gift from your wife or chopping 4 inches off your present kick.

Elvis likes this.
  16. Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

I actually really like this idea. I could set it up with wood hoops and kick heads and basically just treat it as a gong drum if I added it back to the kit. What about spurs? Is there something that would go in the FT leg brackets?

JDA likes this.
  17. Elvis

Elvis The King of Rock'n'Roll

JoshVibert,

You could also leave the 16x14 as is and simply apply a Pearl JG16 kick adapter to it.
    Includes legs and a riser that clips onto your hoop and gives you something for the BD pedal to hook to...

[​IMG]

...allows you to easily convert the tom back to it original intention, when you go to play the kit as it was designed.
    IF you wanna do just the legs and go the wood hoop route, you may be able to get the legs by themselves.
    Otherwise, Drum Factory Direct may be able to help you.

Elvis

18. JDA

JDA Well-Known Member

don't need the height in this picture; but may begin develop some idea'rs..
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/dw_design_mini_pro_16_satin_black.htm
    I'm looking..
    + you can tune a 16 way down from where it is in these clips, to the point where you don't even notice (it's a 16)

believe me, you may go for the 'four little holes' (that make up the Slide trac right? (not that familiar) and run your twin toms (of course)

Breeze to load in/out/ may never go back...)
    Right (I don't see you having a Slide track mnt( nvmd

https://www.google.com/search?q=DW+Design+Mini+Pro+16&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=DW+Design+Mini+Pro+16&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

19. Barden

Barden Member

Don't mod any of your current drums.

It's a cool advantage to have a great home kit with a sound you already like. When you get the stadium gig, you'll load them up in all their glory and deliver a huge sound.

Just get another bass drum that travels well. This is what I did. I have an 18x18 that I built from a kellar shell (really quite easy to do). Total cost ~$400 and you can have any size you want.

The 18" is dented and scratched from all of its travel. Most of the dents have come from passing it through the window of the room where it lives near the driveway. Small bass drums travel quite well and can retain big and/or focused sounds

20. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy Platinum

Keep the 22 and convert the 16FT. Try it on its side as is for now. If you dig it, then worry about swapping heads, wood hoops, claws, etc. Danmar makes repro Ludwig legs that go into the FT brackets but are too small for DW holes.