Love/Hate Cymbal Relationships

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by Burps, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Burps

Burps Well-Known Member

Do you have a cymbal that you both hated and loved at different times? I love it when you go from not liking a cymbal to really loving it once you get to know it better. But sometimes the opposite happens and you may end up disliking a cymbal that you thought you'd love forever. Has this happened to you?

2. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Seems to go both ways with me. I can love a cymbal at home, then take it on a couple of gigs and think, What is this piece of crap? But I also have found that pies I’ve held onto over the years (even though I despised them) ended up being just the ticket for a new style of music. Go figure.

Burps likes this.
  3. Dragonlordapocalypse

Dragonlordapocalypse Well-Known Member

I’m starting to get that vibe from my 20” Sabian AAX stage ride. I used to love the ride sound, but now it feels weak when I play it. I use it as a crash now but it will probably be the next cymbal I sell.

Burps and markkarj like this.
  4. markkarj

markkarj Well-Known Member

Interesting subject. I have a 20 inch Zildjian Ping that I absolutely loved when I got it in the early 1990s. I suppose my ears have changed... it's good when I want something very cutting, but I now gravitate towards cymbals that are a bit darker and in some respects tougher to control. The ping has its applications, but it's just not as versatile as I once thought it was.

For a go-to 20 inch ride, I now love a Zildjian medium from the 1970s (Canadian model). It has a much softer, supple feel to it.

Burps and Johnny D like this.
  5. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    I posted this a few months ago, and it's the best example of a cymbal I have both loved and been frustrated by. In fact, it was my very first cymbal purchase from 1987.

This is the old Sabian medium flange ride, a 22 inch. It fell out of favor almost from the day I brought it home, but I've recently hung a simple, lightweight aluminum chain down its shoulder from the center, and man what new life this cymbal suddenly has!

It always had a great singing bell, but pretty washy and not much character. But the simple addition of this lightweight little chain suddenly puts just the right amount of control on top of its wash, and gives it a fantastic character it was never going to have otherwise.

I'm thankful such a simple option could finally make me fall in love with my old 30 year cymbal.

Here's to lovin' what you have!

Burps likes this.
  6. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Several months ago I scored a used 22" UFiP Rough series ride for a nice bargain. Weight-wise it was pretty heavy at 3296 grams but I figured I could flip it easily due to the pristine condition. I think I even listed it here on the forum but no takers.

I kept it on the home kit for months & it really grew on me, my ears became acclimated to it's tone and now I'll probably never want to part with it.

UFiPRough 001.jpg UFiPRough 003.jpg UFiPRough 005.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Burps likes this.
  7. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

For me it is an 18” Paiste Masters Dark Crash - I love the 16” Masters Dark Crash but in some rooms and an amplified environment my 18” Dark Crash can almost sound gated . The undertones are very low pitched and the higher end tones dissipate quickly . Now when I play in an acoustic environment or brighter room the cymbal has lovely sustain .

Burps likes this.
  8. MillerMav

MillerMav Well-Known Member

For the longest time (14 years-ish) I played a 21" A projection ride and loved it. But I took 12-18 months off from playing and when I went back to it after that and thought "WTF was I thinking with this thing" I guess in that period of time the sound I wanted to hear shifted dramatically. I played a bunch of other stuff and before I sold it I took it back and out and, yup, still hated it.

Burps likes this.
  9. dtk

dtk DFO Master

I had a 19" Sabian VFX ride and used it pretty much solely for a 3 or so years and then sold it when the band I used it for imploded. Saw another cheap and thought...I gotta get it again. Its so much drier than anything I played in the 10 years since I had one I couldn't sell it fast enough.

Burps likes this.
  10. gezz

gezz DFO Master

OK... I have in last year sold maybe 25 cymbals.. I decided I love A 17" crashes in different weights and ages.
    I like one ride that is clean and another that's lighter but still defined.. I Love my A custom sizzle Ride.
    This week I offloaded both of my 21" (Rare) 2oo2 rides. I agonized BUT I don't play..
    I kept my 6o2 20" reissue ride.. I own 1 paiste 2oo2 19" and 13" sound edge hats.. But I prefer my A 13" brilliant finish Mastersounds.. I also own 2 X 18" A custom crashes ..one fast and one regular..
    I also own a Zildjian 17" A crash Ride from 1979 and a Paiste 18" my Dad bought me on same day.
    I won't ever part with these.m
    I went through all my cymbals when I was selling and was ruthless..if it's NOT played it's going.. Hence to say I have no debt and Christmas is sorted and hidden under my bed!!!

Gerry

mlayton and Burps like this.
  11. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I used to have a K crash (or maybe it was a crash ride) that I loved when I first got it. As I got older and started buying/playing lighter and darker stuff, I began to feel that one was a real clanger. Funny enough, one of my favorite cymbals these days is a 19" K Dark Thin Crash Ride from the Rarities line. It's much thinner though.

Burps likes this.
  12. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

i have a couple of 20" paiste sig rides....an 89 mellow ride and a 92 dry crisp....i love the craftsmanship on these.... but some days they sound good to me....other days they don't....my preference over time has changed to rides that I can crash also and these more old school pingier rides don't crash well....

Burps likes this.