Mic mounts for Ludwig vibrabands

Discussion in 'Ask the Pros' started by tomlin, Oct 25, 2018.

1. tomlin

tomlin New Member

Hello,

The title pretty much says it all. I have a set of Shure PG56's for my 2 mounted toms and floor tom. The included clips work for the floor tom but the vibrabands prevent me from clipping to the rim in a spot that's not in the way of my playing. Has anyone had any luck with mounts that securely clip to the vibrabands themselves?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. cworrick

cworrick The BIG Bunny on the block

This should be moved to the general section so more people see it.

3. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Which Shure clips do you have? The ones that clamp on with a threaded clamp (Shure A56D) work well on RIMS style mounts, at least they do for me.

4. latzanimal

latzanimal Very well Known Member

Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
    The Vibrabands are bent over at the top...

I use internals...

5. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Hmmm, The Vibra-bands I have are just generic style RIMS with a flat band. My Gretsch "factory" ones are bent over at the top but not the ones that came from Ludwig.

Latzanimal, I just noticed your location...sounds like you're relatively close by, are you somewhere near Rochelle?

6. tomlin

tomlin New Member

Thanks for replying. I have the Shure A50D and my vibrabands are indeed Ludwig and not rounded over on top. So the A56D's fit securely on the vibraband itself?
    COMBO.jpg

7. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

The A56Ds fit securely on anything from a rims type mount to a 5/8ths inch stand tube. I've used them on RIMS and also on a cymbal stand to mic my ride cymbal from underneath. Pretty much bulletproof construction and a pretty ingenious design that can used in many different ways too, but a bit pricey.

8. latzanimal

Hmmm, indeed. My Vibrabands are bent over, but they are also on a CS Custom Elite kit.... guess Tomlin needs to show a pic...

KO, I am much farther south and a bit east in Streator... although I have played in Rochelle many times a long, long time ago....

9. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I've been to Streator a few times. I'm just south of the I-88 corridor about 1/4 of the way from the Quad Cities to Chicago in Prophetstown.

10. latzanimal

We should meet in Princeton sometime. It looks to be about halfway for both of us. I've been by Prophetstown a few times. Occasionally, I send stuff to the platers in Sterling...

11. drumshoptulsa

drumshoptulsa Member

Hello @tomlin. I totally understand your plight with the Vibrabands as well as the Gretsch Suspension Mounts (which are similar). These pose a problem for many drummers and I would like to introduce you to the PDP Quick Grip Microphone Clamp. I've been using these on drums since I opened The Drum Shop. NOT only...do these work on ALL 10.5mm and 12.7mm tom arms and floor tom legs...but they also fit 12.7mm cymbal boom arms making it even easier to use them. Need to mic your ride cymbal under the bell? Slide one of these onto the boom arm then your boom arm back into the adjuster head of your stand and you can put your mic anywhere.

I am super pleased with them and use them on ALL my kits regardless of the gig. They keep my mics exactly where I want it no matter how hard I am hitting my drums. And I do sometimes beat them like they owe me money...but seriously. These are a great solution and hope you click the link to check them out.

http://the-drum-shop.shoplightspeed.com/pdp-concept-quick-grip-microphone-holder-rack-tom.html

http://the-drum-shop.shoplightspeed.com/pdp-concept-quik-grip-microphone-holder-floor-tom.html

I hope this information helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Humbly Signed,

Roger N.
    The Drum Shop
    Tulsa, OK.

12. tomlin

tomlin New Member

WOW!! I'm assuming the (black) clip is removable to accommodate a Shure PG56.

Attached Files:

13. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master