Most OVERRATED and OVERVALUED vintage snare drum.

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Osahead2, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Osahead2

Osahead2 DFO Master

Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
    Great thread going with the reverse topic so instead of what's the most underrated and undervalued vintage snare drum how about what's the most OVERRATED and OVERVALUED vintage snare drum?

I, say the NUMBER ONE PICK is the 1960s Ludwig Keystone black oyster pearl Jazzfest & Pioneer snare drum... followed closely by...

2. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

The 1960s Rogers wood Dyna-Sonic. Coupla grand gets you a complicated 10 lug snare drum that sounds just like...a 10 lug snare drum. Just IMHO. Let the mudslinging begin. :)

Peterk256 likes this.
  3. bluejacketsfan

bluejacketsfan Very well Known Member

Ludwig Aluminums...400/402, that Super Sensitive, I've had all of them, and I just don't get the attraction...I guess I like my snares with some resonance, not so dry.

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

1) The Ringo Drum - thanks Osa! I have a copy (converted Super Classic rewrap) but I do want one (or at least to see a real one!)!
    2) Dynasonic - $2K+ for this drum? Seriously? What famous drummer ever played one of these?
    3) Ludwig COB 5x14 pre-serial # from the 60's. I was obsessed with one, finally scored one, and it just didn't solve my problems!
    4) Engraved BB from the 1920's.......once again, a fantasy drum that I will probably never find, but I have at least played one, and yes, there was something about it.......it's not hinty at all! But in my caveman hands, it's more a historical artifact than a useful drum.......

5. JDA

JDA DFO Master

The Acrolite resurgence certainly surprised I'd think ...Ludwig!
    What was once their bargain basement

6. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Yep, overpriced and overrated.
    Isn't a new Supra about 500 bucks now? I like the supraphonic fine but come on.

Acrolites are another, my gawd, these drums are highly overrated and I've owned three, a Keystone. a B/O and a Blackro, decent as a spare but nothing even close to sonically astounding. When I read "everyone should own an Acro" I always think "why??"
    Not so long ago 50 bucks or less was the going rate for a common Acrolite and I wouldn't give that now. Lol.

7. markrocks68

markrocks68 Very well Known Member

Jazz Fests in general.

8. rstange1

rstange1 Well-Known Member

Several. Here's one you may have heard of:
    Buddy-Rogers.jpg

9. Sweets

Sweets Active Member

Thats funny, I would say the Super Sensitive is underrated. Noone seems to like them but me...

10. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

I think 6.5x14's are really overated, over-valued........yeah those for sure. Kidding

11. jaymandude

jaymandude Very well Known Member

Agree. Good for some, but that sound is basically useless for me.

12. JCKOriollo

JCKOriollo DFO Master

Im going to go with the 402. To my ears theres so many better options on the market. Never gotten into the sound of it.

Im also going to go with the tama bell brass. Not a bad snare drum but not worth 2k+ in my opinion.

Flame on. Haha

13. bluejacketsfan

bluejacketsfan Very well Known Member

And, they're made from the cheapest type of metal!

14. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

I just picked up a 64 w brass hoops on the cheap.... fantastic sound

15. jaymandude

jaymandude Very well Known Member

I have one I never use. Just has that honk in it. But then I hear Manu Katche on the Tears for Fears " Seeds of Love" and I think I'm crazy.. ( i believe he uses that drum on that record)

16. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    The maple Dynasonic is highly valued because of it's scarcity, it's build quality and because of it's connection to Buddy Rich - for whom the drum was primarily developed.

The Rogers connection to Buddy is well known, the catalogs from the 60's are dominated by his presence and both the snare and the kits are solidly linked to him.

I think the values for all vintage snares, and kits in general, are determined by scarcity, by the choice of finish and by their connection to well-known drummers.

I think sound and playability don't have much to do with the value of vintage stuff, for the most part.

Personally, I prefer an 8-lug snare for all-around use. If I played the Buddy music, in the Buddy style (lord, i should have 1% of his talent) the Dynasonic would be the drum for me. But that crispness and articulation don't really work for the blues and rock and country I play.

I don't think that detracts from their value one bit: they are valued for a lot of other reasons, as are many vintage instruments.

There are drums that from time to time seem to bring silly prices. A given model may get 'hot' because of magazine writeups, chat room debates, drumshow displays etc. But eventually they will fall back to a normal level. And the ebb and flow of the economy has an impact too. There are certain models that can be viewed as 'old reliable' when it comes to value (i.e. a maple Dynasonic or an older Black Beauty), because they will always be considered special and will usually have a strong market value. Dynas were bringing $3000 10-15 years ago when the economy was hot. A nice one still will garner around $2k, which is not bad.

Some guys just want to own one, and that's great...

I'm a car guy too, and there are hundreds of vintage makes and models that drive terribly and are unreliable to boot. Their value lies in scarcity, historical significance, connections to one's past, and whatever iconic status they may have achieved.
    Drive a 50's Corvette and you will be surprised to see how little power it has and how the handling and braking are barely adequate for a 'sports car'. But they are still worth big bucks because of their history. I can buy a 6-7 year old Corvette for $20k, and blow the doors off a lot of more expensive cars. That pristine $80k 1959 'Vette has no such capability, but it will still bring $80k.

komodobob and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  17. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Dan, great points, thank you.

18. clowndog

clowndog DFO Veteran

Melbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)
    Don't agree with the thought of a 20's Luddy Black Beauty being on the overrated list. Pretty scarce. One of THE best sounding Drums in recorded history, and pretty much handmade. Think about the time period to obtain an 8 or 10 lug engraved version which was relegated to the uber rich, or 5 months of salary for the pro musician; it makes these the benchmark which we judge all other drums by in my opinion. Additionlly, have AK handmake you one and see what it costs 95 years later. Buy the original.

19. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    Who said a Black Beauty was on the overrated list?

20. chikncity

chikncity Well-Known Member

6.5" Acrolites