Noisy Lug Springs!? A fix that won't dampen the shell

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by shortdrums, Feb 24, 2011.

1. shortdrums

shortdrums Active Member

I ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS IN GENERAL, NOT SURE IF THAT WAS IN THE BEST PLACE SO I'M POSTING IT HERE!
    I have read a few posts on here regarding spring noise and buzz.
    I have rehabbed quite a few old kits and snares as well as my own new custom drums and drums I have built with this method of replacing lug springs with inserts made of vinyl tubing.
    My current custom drum kit has beavertail lugs. I was doing some recording, and when we got the mics on, there was a definite rattle and spring tone coming from the kick. I used this as a remedy with a $3 roll of vinyl tubing from Home Depot the same diameter as the spring (5/16" I think). I cut new retainers (a little long to be snug). The ends of the insert should fit nicely into the tubing and reinstall into the casings fitting snug but not over-tight. Right away I noticed no more spring noise as well as the rattle that they caused by touching the shell. Pretty self explanatory but I attached a little .gif showing the process.
    [​IMG]
    The other thing noticed from doing this is allot less t-rod back off due to the tubing having a slight hug on the threads of the rod, like a modern lug, so the drums stay in tune allot better. I originally came up with this idea building a slotted vented snare with beavertails where the springs visible thru the vent looked horrible. I can't believe that in all of the years of packing cotton balls into the lugs of my drums I never thought of this! If you can't justify stuffing the lugs of your very nice drums with skin care products, adding a mass of deadening material directly to over 20% of the shell, you might want to think about this easy fix that just makes sense. If you think about what the springs in your lug casings are really doing... Nothing! Their only function is to hold the insert into the casing without rod tension. Vintage lugs like Beavertails are my favorite, I like them because they're classy, here's an upgrade that I have done to my drums and drums I have built with beavertails to keep them as an option in modern times. I have done this to the single tom and kick lug as well as the double sided snare lug... Let me know what you think.

2. Leffler

Leffler Very well Known Member

Seems smart! I guess you'd have to be careful about the length of the tubing, but once you had it down, you could crank 'em out. I think it's an improvement.

3. pan60

pan60 Very well Known Member

i just use cotton.
    certainly not 20% of the shell and the hole as well as lugs alone will have already determined nodal points so i have not issues with cotton.

if he tubing work's it seems a simple and easy alternative for sure: )~

4. tillerva

tillerva Forum Guru...yeh right :p

I use folded felt packed between the lug casing and the spring. Works well for me, and I'm sure the tubing and cotton work great too!

5. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

Nice idea!

6. ARGuy

ARGuy DFO Master

Thanks for reminding us of this tip. I remember hearing or reading about this idea back in the 80's when I first became aware of noisy springs. Like a lot of other guys, I ended up using whatever I had on hand rather than taking the time to figure out what size tubing I needed, go to the hardware store, figure out the right length and cut a bunch to size. Probably would have been time well spent!

7. Bongo Congo

Bongo Congo DFO Master

It's a great idea... that a lot of drummers (including me) have been using since the 70's. It's the ideal solution. Cotton and felt wick up moisture and degrade. Foam falls apart over time. The tubing is a good, permanent, inexpensive fix. :notworthy: