OT elbow bursitis

Discussion in 'General' started by BennyK, Sep 16, 2018.

1. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

It appears that I have it on the left side .

Anybody else ? What have you done to address it ?

Thanks

2. piccupstix

piccupstix Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Did a doctor diagnose bursitis? If so, he probably can steer you to things you can do for it: Exercises, Ibuprofen, etc. It can heal itself eventually. I had a big problem with tendonitis in my arm and swallowed Ibuprofen (trying not to overdo it), iced it, and I searched the Internet for exercises and really worked at them. I was able to continue playing throughout the process but it was taxing. I finally got through it and continue to do certain exercises as prevention. No fun. Good luck with it.

3. Peterk256

Peterk256 Very well Known Member

Are you sure it's not tennis elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)? Lots of ibuprofen (800mg 2-3x/day with food) and physical therapy. It you have been diagnosed with bursitis I believe treatment is similar according to Dr. Google.

4. Roch

Roch DFO Master

Repetitive strain..is there something you do every day that may be putting stress on that joint? it could be anything. Sleeping on your arm...think about it..then attempt to change it..I get it from time to time in my line of work..those arm bands work well also..for me, anyway..

5. Seb77

Seb77 Very well Known Member

Could it have to do just with playing? I noticed I used to tense up with trad. grip in particular, going for rimshots and whip accents. I worked on relaxing the triceps muscle, so instead of pushing down it's more of an arm drop. I played with the left only while feeling the trcieps muscle with the right hand. I remember a page that discusses this method for piano practice somehwere.

The sheer arm drop I guess only works for quiet and/or slower playing, but I guess you could get a certain degree of looeness into louder, faster playing, too.