OT hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General' started by Salem street drums, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Salem street drums

Salem street drums DFO Sponsor Sponsor

I live in eastern NC and have ridden out many hurricanes in my life time, but this one is shaping up to be a monster. Category 4 making landfall Thursday night. Wish us luck.

2. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

I'm getting my hurricane shutters ready just in case.

3. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Ludwigs in the Basement

So, with the news in full weather fearcasting mode, it's easy to forget that 90 percent of "hurricanes" are disappointing, but the storm going out to sea, stalling out or heading North or South all remain possibilities over the next four days.

Good luck.

4. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper DFO Veteran

Still too early to worry. Never too early to prepare. Good luck.

5. nmosko

nmosko Well-Known Member

Good luck man. I'm in western VA and it's supposed to be a lively time way over here. Be safe man. We'll be praying for you guys!!

6. gwbasley

gwbasley DFO Veteran

7. drawtheline55

drawtheline55 Owner/admin Administrator Moderator

I feel for you guys in the south, I have said it before and will say it again. Here in the north our worst snowstorm/blizzard pales in comparison
    to any hurricane. Best of luck.

8. Salem street drums

Salem street drums DFO Sponsor Sponsor

Jim Cantore is set up on our beaches. When Jim shows up its serious!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  9. blikum

blikum Well-Known Member

I have an outdoor gig in Raleigh, as of now it hasn't been cancelled, but I'm not terribly optimistic that the gig will happen. This storm looks pretty big. I'm moving my kits from the garage to the house just in case. Cue up REO's Ridin' the storm out...

10. dogmanaut

dogmanaut Very well Known Member

Yep. Were getting appropriately concerned here in central VA. I just reserved a storage unit for my drum gear and other more valuable stuff a house with 29 windows and massive oaks all around seems like a bad place to keep them right now.

11. cochlea

cochlea DFO Veteran

I have to attend a conference for work in D.C. later this week and I'm wondering what impact it might have in that area?

12. dogmanaut

dogmanaut Very well Known Member

At the very least, I would expect a lot of rain. Its supposed to hit here (2 hours south of DC) Friday or Saturday. Last I heard, its been upgraded to a category 4. Could climb to a category 5 before it makes landfall.

13. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

I'll be thinking of those of you on the SC/NC coastal border....you all will be hit hard by this, and 100 miles inland, the torrential rain will do as much or more damage. Tropical systems have a way of interacting with Gulf of Mexico air that isn't pretty.

14. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Advanced Heart Guru

I posted this on my FB this morning. But seriously, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path.

Attached Files:

15. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

The thing that makes this one so bad is that it's intensifying every minute and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a cat 5 later today. The average of the models puts it ashore at about the NC/SC line and traveling up the middle of the state and slowing to almost a stall once it makes landfall. That means it comes ashore with a huge storm surge, high winds (tropical storm force to 140 mile from center), and then pouring rain measurable in feet all up the state as it slowly moves along. It could still be a cat 1 as it approaches Raleigh. The Carolinas don't handle that much water very well, especially the eastern half. Please keep North Carolina, as well as SC, VA, or any other state this storm touches in your thoughts and prayers.

Here's enough info to keep you up to date if you're interested in details: http://myfoxhurricane.com

16. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

Be safe Southern Forum members.

17. cworrick

cworrick The BIG Bunny on the block

I have family in the Clemson area. They are forecasting LOTS of rain Friday and Saturday. There is supposed to be a home game on Saturday. I sent them a message asking how cheap the game tickets were going for and how much they were overcharging for the rain ponchos.

18. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Very well Known Member

Gas is selling out quick and not a case of water to be found in central NC. Finally found a station to fill up and there's an eeryness that's happening. People are starting to not be so nice, and tempers are short. I thought the guy getting gas opposite me was going to throw down with the driver of the car in front of him. Not fun.

19. fun2drum

Yes my daughter is a student at NC State and she told me yesterday that there's no water, bread, hardly anything left on the store shelves. I told her to top off with gas immediately and come home (western NC foothills) as soon as she's finished with class on Wednesday. I fear it's going to be terrible from the piedmont eastward. I just hate it for everyone there. I've got good friends in the Wilmington area who are planning to stay put and I hope they're going to be alright. At least with the storm tracking slightly more north than previously thought, the storm surge MAY not be as bad in Wilmington, but the storm covers so much area all bets are off. Conditions are favorable today for even more strengthening. As if that's not enough I just read that Florence is in the last stages this morning of an eyewall replacement cycle where the eyewall has increased from 25 miles to between 50 and 60 miles across, which will make it even more of a beast. We've got a rental house down there and it's now empty and boarded up, hoping for the best for everyone.

20. fun2drum