OT - I had no idea Ed King had died.

Discussion in 'General' started by Olderschool, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

Now...I am a southerner that grew up in the 60's and 70's so it was impossible to not like Skynyrd, but I am not some monster fan. Having said that, I do believe that Skynyrd was probably one of the hardest working bands to ever play. They worked basically non-stop since '65, met and practiced everyday of the week in Hell House when not touring and AFAIK never took a day off until a break in touring around 1975. As an example....can you imagine any band today having to compose and record an album in 20 days and then have the tour bus wait outside the studio to take you away without being allowed to tell your family goodbye (Nuthin Fancy)?

I knew about Bob Burns a few years ago and that one was also a shame. Now Ed.... he was such a contributor to the sound and also his writing with his tingy Strat playing against the throaty Gibsons Gary and Allen played. He seemed like a pretty classy dude and he was the only one that wasn't a southerner and was always an outsider.

Anyway, I had no idea that guitarist Ed King died :shock:

2. Treviso1

Treviso1 DFO Master

As a big fan of the 70's band, it is really sad that Ed King passed. He had been dealing with health issues for many years. His talent was immense and his contribution to the band was huge. Check out the new documentary on Skynyrd on Showtime right now.

3. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

^ I had just watched the documentary a few days before he passed.

4. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Despite brutal mental & physical fatigue after the cancer diagnosis, Ed still worked at his craft right up until 2 weeks before he succumbed, as evidenced by a moving cellphone video his wife filmed & posted to facebook of him practicing licks & scales at home by himself, his body ravaged from chemo treatments, his playing was as good as ever.

This is one of his most recent and final youtube interviews......filmed in 2017 at his home.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  5. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Oh man, what a great video! Now I know why I don't like my maple fret board Strat. I have watched several videos with Marty in the past, so that was really cool. Now I have to watch the Showtime doc. I haven't been a Skynyrd fan up until now. I know just enough guitar to appreciate all that Ed showed. Now I need to start working on the James Burton lead. Ace

6. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Ludwigs in the Basement

7. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

It is a good video (I didn't watch it all yet). I have a maple fretboard Strat, a rosewood fretboard LP, and an Ebony fretboard Taylor. I suck at all three.......

8. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

A big fan, huh? I wonder what did you think of Ronnie? As a casual fan, he always set wrong with me.....at least his reputation of being such a brutal "band king" and his violent outburst You know.....things like completely freaking out if anyone made a mistake. I don't mind a tyrant as long as the tyrant can play too. AFAIK, Ronnie couldn't play an instrument......could he? I also don't like the way he (and others) seemed to treat Ed. Anyway....just wondering.......it's probably just me and my contempt for jerky lead singers.

9. Treviso1

Treviso1 DFO Master

He was a temperamental individual with a mercurial personality that squeezed the very best out of everyone in that band. The body of music has stood there test of time and he was infinitely gifted, as a singer, a songwriter, and a band leader. To judge him as a human being by today's standards is always a rookie mistake. Sure, they were a bunch of hard drinking rednecks who loved to fight. No one will argue that fact. However, the music of Lynyrd Skynyrd will live on forever, mainly because of Ronnie's shear tenacity to succeed and become somebody. He drove everyone to develope their natural abilities into something extraordinary. Nuff said...

10. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

No doubt that he was a hard, hard working individual that pushed everyone to the limits.

11. shilohjim

shilohjim DFO Veteran

I'm no big Skynyrd fan, but loved Ed and his playing. He was a cool guy who taught guitar at our local music store for years. Very sad that he passed away.

12. Treviso1

Treviso1 DFO Master

He lived in Nashville, right?