OT: Online & App-based Mapping and Driving Directions

Discussion in 'General' started by jcameron, May 17, 2018.

1. jcameron

jcameron Drumming Since '85

Disclaimer: Maps were a fascination of mine from early childhood. When my peers were reading children's and young adult literature, I was poring over state maps, atlases and almanacs. So, reading maps to find my way is nothing new to me.

This is a question for the road warriors out there. The savvy, long distance highway travelers who rely on web or app-based maps and driving directions. I have a rather ambitious road trip planed this summer from our home in Texas up to South Dakota and Wyoming. Our first day of travel will be an endurance run north from Wichita county, Texas. Ideally, our first destination is Scottsbluff, Nebraska... with alternate destinations of Ogallala, NE or Julesburg, Co.

Here's the reason for my post: I compared most of the popular online mapping sources (google, bing, Mapquest & Rand McNally) and most of them recommended the most direct route, up through either western Kansas or eastern Colorado. The outlier (by far) was Waze with a suggested route up through central Oklahoma and Kansas....obviously trying to keep us on interstate highway as much as possible.

Are you partial to a certain source for mapping & directions for long-distance road trips?

2. purist

purist Gold

I use iphone maps. My wife and I tried Ways (sp) in Costa Rica and it took us over a huge mountain on a very narrow dirt road (path). I deleted Ways from my phone immediately afterward.

3. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany New Member

Apple Maps is remarkably awful even six years since its initial release. I have story after story of Apple Maps completely failing to navigate me to the correct location. I cannot understand how its directions are still so inaccurate and incomplete.

Google Maps works great. It's been at least ten years since the last time it sent me to the wrong location and its real-time traffic updates are excellent. I always arrive exactly when it says I will.

4. RIDDIM

RIDDIM Gold

I'd use Waze.

I've only used Waze in the US, where mapping info may be better than in some other places.

Waze is the only one I know of that warns of cops. It's crowd sourced - users can make inputs as to road hazards, traffic jams, cops, etc. There have been 5 times in the past 2 years that it's saved me from a ticket. Every so often - maybe every 2 years, it offers an unrealistic route -e.g., routing me around a parking lot twice, which is easily countered by checking other programs - but in general, I have found it's better to pay attention to it; I ignore it to my detriment.

5. Skyrm

Skyrm Well-Known Member

I prefer Google Maps on my iPhone, and also have an old school Garmin GPS that I keep updated. I like that on long trips so that I'm not sucking down data constantly. Also, the Google Maps Timeline feature is excellent for keeping track of my mileage at work. It knows where Ive been and how long I was there. Always. Which is super creepy, but whatever. :)

One of my favorite travel apps is iExit. It tells you what is ahead at each exit and rest stop on major freeways, and you can find gas prices, search for restaurants, etc.

BUT, normally when traveling anywhere, nothing does a better job than my wife and a paper map. In 20 years of marriage, she only got us "lost" once, and that was in the maze of one-way streets known as Pittsburgh.

6. Woody85

Woody85 Active Member

Google maps all day every day. Saved my ass in Italy a few years back.

7. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Ringo Fire

I've only used Google Maps, but recently started using Waze because of the extra features RIDDIM mentioned, plus the fact it'll show the speed limit. That's my main gripe with GMaps--no speed limit posting. I have yet to use Waze on a long-distance trip, but I have one coming up in June and another in July. I know my way around for the one in June, so I'll use that opportunity to test it out before the "real deal" in July.

8. Vistalite Black

Vistalite Black Ludwigs in the Basement

I use Waze because it's saved me from a couple of traffic jams. It's good at using the crowd-sourced inputs and re-routing you around the traffic... You might drive miles of back roads, but at least your moving -- and when puts you back on the fastest road when it's clear.

9. paul

paul New Member

I'm bucking the trend here, but refuse to part with my Tom Tom GPS device. It's only led me astray a few times over the six years I've had this one, and the traffic warnings have kept me on schedule more than once. It has options for displaying hospitals, gas stations, etc., that I rarely use but are available to me.

I'm one of those people who like a device that does one thing really well, and like that I'm not using my phone to navigate. It also gives me the option of choosing the fastest route or shortest.

10. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Ringo Fire

11. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member

Like the OP I've always been into maps, would follow along on family trips when I was young and often times would co-pilot telling my dad where to turn etc. I use google maps but I always look at the route ahead of time and drag the route different ways to check time and miles and often even go to satellite view and street view in some areas to see what I'm getting into.

Couple years ago a co-worker and I were headed to LAX from South Beverly and my phone wouldn't work, Google Maps was up but wouldn't "Talk" and wouldn't update the GPS with where we were. Luckily I had studied the map ahead of time and got us close...turned left of Manchester Ave instead of right...when my co-worker said the street looked familiar I realized I was going the wrong way as that was the way we drove after leaving the airport a few days before....turned around and found the rental car drop off lot right away....as I pulled in my phone voiced "You have arrived!" we both laughed.