PDP Concept Classic Review

Discussion in 'General' started by Mcjnic, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:14 AM.

1. Mcjnic

Mcjnic Very well Known Member

PDP Concept Classic Review

I had been playing a cool old Premier Resonator kit in this spot and decided to make a change. The Premier Kit has been sold and shipped ... something had to replace it. I had originally set up to put a Gretsch Kit there, but some things changed and that one was sold out from under me. I rolled with it and picked up this kit.

I honestly didn’t know what to expect when these arrived. I have been playing vintage kits for quite a few years and haven’t really picked up a lower line new kit in ages. But I wanted an old school wood hoop kit and I didn’t want to pay boutique prices ... hard to justify the expense as I had just purchased a Noble & Cooley Horizon kit. I figured I’d give this one a chance. Boy am I glad I did.

Well ... first and foremost, it’s a simple old school kit. The non-gloss flat rub finish is perfect for the older vibe going on with this kit. The darker stained wood hoops have a contrast that just fits the lighter colored natural shells.

Immediately replaced the stock trash heads. Noble & Cooley had sent me a full set of Evans ... don’t really like Evans, but they were free ... so why not.

They worked great on this kit.

The lugs ... ... ... in a word ... ick.

They are fairly unattractive. They are bulky. They are chromed and the design pattern leaves them not at all smooth.

Not a fan.

The shells are so doggone thin. And THAT is a wonderful thing. These thin shells just boom and sustain and resonate and rumble. I am absolutely blown away at the sound of these drums. They hit that magic spot ... where you just want to lay into them and pull that sound out. It makes me smile. The tuning range is incredible. I can take the 14 floor tom from a tight bop all the way down to a very deep and low tone. It is actually much lower than where a typical 16 would be tensioned. You know how when a drum is tensioned very loose so you can get a deep dark sound out of it and the head gives off a flappy sound, and the drum just doesn’t sustain because of it? Not these guys. At NO time is the pureness of tone or the sustain impacted by tight or loose tensioning. Just incredible range.

The wood hoops ... they are the perfect choice for these shells. A lot of manufacturers are using those thick monster wood hoops. They have their place, for sure. But on a kit that’s trying to give such an old school vibe, those wouldn’t work. The very cool thinner hoops are the correct choice ... looks and sound. They are solid and strong and resist denting. They also do not get in the way. I love playing off them as it gives several more sounds out of a tom. They warm the drum and allow it to sustain for quite a bit longer. Just a perfect addition to the thin shells.

PDP sells these shells with steel hoops in the regular Concept line ... and I’m sure they sound fine. But in the Classic line, these wood hoops allow the shells to really breath ... they sing.

One note - I would not recommend the thinner wood hoops on a snare. I do not believe the tighter tensioning would be feasible with the current hardware.

They do not ship with a bass drum mount or tom mounts. PERFECT excuse to try out another set of INDe tom mounts. Man, those are so cool. I pulled out the drill and popped some holes in the toms and voila! A mountable tom with sustain and more sustain. Love those mounts.

I picked up a Tama Star single tom stand from a member here and it’s perfect for this kit. When I feel like having both the 12 and the 13 mounted, I’ve got a vintage Tama double tom stand for that. But for now ... just the 13 floats above that 24 inch bass.

The only downside to the kit ... the lugs. But with the quality of sound generated from the shells ... I could care less what the lugs looked like. These drums make a very cool noise.

D29C173A-48AF-46C9-B77C-DA9FC9BC1F4B.jpeg D63D5B95-9D7A-4764-B509-3F782910C6B1.jpeg EC875174-E211-4352-8E97-437FC11378B9.jpeg 2251E963-0013-4E35-A32B-3AD6A05ECFE7.jpeg

rdumas and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  2. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

Nice review and yes theee are very cool drums . My local shop has had a few of these kits in stock and they sell quickly . The combination of features and excellent price point have made these a winner for DW/PDP .

3. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

I had a 13,16,24 kit, really liked it. I liked the lugs, it was the cheap claws that I did not like. I wonder how this kit would sound with re-rings?

4. aparker2005

aparker2005 DFO Master

I've got the regular concept maple but I tell everyone how great these kits are. Yours look great!

5. Mn02

Mn02 Well-Known Member

I got the same finish in the bop sizes and love it. Tuning with the wood hoops took a little more time, as I had no prior experience out side of bass drums, but once I got them dialed in, I really enjoy the difference in feel and sound. With the exception of the lugs, it is a fabulous kit.

6. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

It seems that complaints about the lugs on PDP drums just fall on deaf ears at DW. I dislike them even more than the homely oval ones on my beloved 2000 model Pacific CX WMP kit. Of course, the lugs don't affect the sound of a great-sounding drum, but they are an eyesore on really quality drums. I just don't get it.

Anyway, thanks for a very objective and frank analysis of your drums.

GeeDeeEmm

7. Houndog

Houndog Very well Known Member

Those lugs have kept me from buying them ..I just can’t do it .

8. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

I like these lugs better than DW's flagship lugs.

9. Jorn

Jorn Well-Known Member

I’ve got a 13/16/18/26 plus the snare, plus a 14 floor made into a snare. It’s my ‘Bonham’ kit.
    Great sound and impeccable finish.

I don’t mind the lugs although something more traditional might fit better.

It’s also the cheapest kit I own. Great drums and I’m not even a DW fan.

10. drumdevil9

drumdevil9 Very well Known Member

PDP oval lugs never bothered me. I liked those better but these are by no means ugly.
    Beautiful kit, congrats!

11. Mcjnic

Mcjnic Very well Known Member

I believe I will clarify my take on the lugs just a bit ... as that appears to be a sticking point for those looking into this kit - including myself.

The lugs - they lack the smoothness of many chromed lugs out there. I came from the Vintage drum world and that world is filled with smooth lugs such as Slingerland, Gretsch, Rogers, and even Ludwig looks smooth to my eyes as they maintain a nice curve on all sides ... though those stripes could be considered the smooth breakup if you wanted to nitpik.

So, these lugs have that 90° break from top to sides that lack the smooth flow. And the top design lacks an artistic touch, I believe.

The "bulky" comment is in reference to the actual thickness of the lugs ... how far they stick out from the shell. They are quite tall. They actually make it difficult to position the wing tom in front of the snare due to the lug wanting to hit the snare. Also, when the two floors are next to each other, the lugs want to determine the positioning as opposed to the rims (if you get that point). They are quite bulky.

Now, if you can divert the gaze from them ... and figure out some workarounds due to the bulkiness ... the wood hooped shells make the effort WELL worth it. They sound absolutely incredible.

It's like the inner struggle of a Ludwig Standard kit. Do you allow those Standard lugs to stop you from enjoying an honest to goodness fine Ludwig kit? Do you replace all those Standard lugs with "REAL" Ludwig lugs? After all, the sound is absolutely 100% real Ludwig ... same shells ... cool wraps. What to do ... What to do. In keeping with an honest review here ... I replaced my Standard lugs with "REAL" Ludwig lugs ... I admit it. I fell into that group.

On the PDP kit ... for me ... the lugs do NOT keep me from this sound. It's like playing a kit where the floor tom is just a bit darker of a stain than the rest of the kit. Yes, it will bother you. Yes, it could be lighter and the world would smile a bit brighter. But when you close your eyes and lay those sticks into the heads ... man, all that crap just melts away. The realization of what these drums sound like ... un-freeeekin real. They sing ... beautifully.

... ... ... now if only the PDP lug spacing fit the Ludwig Standard lugs ... ... ...

Houndog likes this.
  12. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

I wanted the big Concept Classic Maple kit before I found my Catalinas. Had I not found the Catalinas at the price I did, I'd have possibly ended up going that route.

13. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Good observations. Truth is, a drumset's appearance is one of the things that makes us enjoy the drums in the first place. I vividly recall the first time I saw Buddy Rich, Ringo, and Gene Krupa on the TV and on movies. The looks of those drums with the cymbals swaying and the chrome plating glimmering under the lights impressed me, and lives with me still, and I'm sure it does with others, as well.

I know there are many folks who regard drums as nothing more than tools with which they ply their craft - like a pickup truck is regarded by a tradesman. Fair enough. That's perfectly fine. But for many of us, a drumset is a work of art, too, and an expression of our own tastes. That's why preferences like lug styling enters into the discussion, and why there is so much back and forth about DW's round lugs, or Mapex's name and badges, or Pearl's signature pipe fixtures. Logical or not, we care about those kind of things to the point that strong opinions develop about them. And drum manufacturers should take heed.

GeeDeeEmm

Tornado and Radio King like this.
  14. VintageUSA

VintageUSA Very well Known Member

I feel that way about all DW lugs.................nice shells though, as I'm sure yours are.