Play along for learning vibes?

Discussion in 'Your "OTHER" instrument' started by wolfereeno, Jan 22, 2018.

1. wolfereeno

wolfereeno Well-Known Member

I'm interested in learning to play basic scales and play along with simple Jazz formats. I was thinking something like Band in the Box might be useful for playing say, Blues, in various keys and tempos.

I'm an experienced drummer but don't play piano or read staff very well. But I've been messing around on vibes lately and having fun basically going by instinct. Eventually I think I need to find a teacher and take some basic lessons. But I'm just looking to play along for now and am curious about what horn players and such play along with.

Thx

2. kb

kb Very well Known Member

Jamey Aebersold has tons of play along recordings available.

You can make your own in GarageBand.

Band in a Box would work.

iReal Pro fake book plays back, in any key, any tempo....

Good luck.

3. JoePasko2002

JoePasko2002 Very well Known Member

Do you have a friend who plays guitar ? Playing arpeggios, scale lines, melodies, etc. along with someone playing out the chord progressions, in a live interaction, can provide good ear training and understanding how the notes fit in.

4. dcdrummer41

dcdrummer41 Member

Agreed.

5. mtarrani

mtarrani DFO Master

6. Seb77

Seb77 Very well Known Member

Try the Aebersold catalog. Has been around for age. There is a nice collection of simpler tunes called "Maiden Voyage"; I practiced along wiht that quite a bit.

I do recommend a teacher, especially if you're not versed in piano. Some pianists switch to vibes easily without a teacher, but not drummers in my experience. Even beside music theory, there's alot you can get form a vibes teacher, namely tone production, pedalling/muting, not to mention 4-mallet chord playing.

7. wolfereeno

Thanks guys!!!

8. multijd

multijd Very well Known Member

9. wolfereeno

I am loving iRealPro. Exactly what I'm after. Thx!!

I'm just kind of tooling around with it and trying to follow along a few songs and then see what it's like to change key. Also to get faster at basic note identification. Although reading the notes as "A" instead of on the staff is a bit of a crutch I'll also need to get over.

I probably need to work more on the common keys that one might see at a jam session - not that that's my goal.

Although at some point I know I'm going to need a teacher. For now I'm must trying to build on a feel I have that I can't quite describe. But I have a visual picture in my head for chords and patterns that I want to try to develop a bit more and see where it leads.

Thx!!

10. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

Nothing beats a good teacher...!

11. wolfereeno

yeah, I'm kind of challenged for time to commit to actually practice. The thought of not being prepared brings me back to nightmares as a kid taking lessons! Also, since a lot of what I need to learn is piano 101 - basic staff reading, key signatures, scales,.. i was toying with the idea of just trying some online piano courses.