Political Rants on the Main Page??

Discussion in 'Support Tickets' started by EvEnStEvEn, Oct 6, 2018.

1. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Go to the forum's front page.

See "Status Updates" at bottom right.

There you'll find political rants & tirades in plain view every single morning!
    The one's posting them don't appear to have any post count here regarding drums or anything else, yet their Twitter updates or whatever are allowed to be published freely right on the main page of this board completely contrary to the "no politics" rule & these updates have been appearing there daily for weeks!

Edit: Political rants on our main page have been eliminated, thankyou to our mods. Nothing more to see here. Topic can be deleted.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 10:47 PM
  2. steveblack

steveblack Senior Cymbal Nerd

I reported this to Ben many weeks ago but no signs of a fix yet. The status updates feature is used by spammers and those having a political rant. Many of the users aren't members who participate (0 posts if you follow them up). I also mentioned in my report that member hefty has a (null comment) appear about once a day, but that seems to have stopped on 23 September.

The status updates seem to happen without the user actually logging in here. Are they percolated through from some other "anti-social" media system like Facebook? I had a look at nonamico who appears at the top at the moment

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/user/27121-nonamico/

and he has a status update from Oct 6, but no forum activity since Sep 26. I'm not sure exactly how "activity" is defined. Is the status update happening without users even being logged in? Or is "activity" defined in some other way. nonamico has zero posts. Is he even aware that status updates which he makes elsewhere are appearing here? What's the mechanism?

One potential solution is to stop the forum from using or displaying the Recent Status Update section. Also cut any update ties to some under moderated "wild west" place like Facebook. A keen DFO moderator could also go through and ban any users who rant or spam in a status update but have no forum posts. Prune out the deadwood, although that might remove some lurkers who are just here to read but not post.

Part of the problem appears to be that there is no built in mechanism for reporting these status updates when they are in breach of the rules. The report button works on posts, but I don't know of an equivalent in the status updates arena.

3. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

1. FYI, I'm speaking only for myself here, but I generally go immediately to new content where status updates aren't visible, so I hadn't even noticed it until you brought it up. The mods have now begun discussing what is happening, what needs to be done, and how to do it. Simply deleting all the posts would not be an effective solution due to their numbers, and as far as I can see, deleting individual posts is the only option I seem to have as a mod, which leaves them in full view until one of us deletes them. I tried deleting some of them and more kept coming up underneath, not all political but it goes down hundreds of pages. It could be like Lucy in the chocolate factory (showing my age there) to use that method. We'll do what we have to do to keep the homepage free of political rants. If Ben is aware of it then maybe he's already working with the site techies to find a better solution. Sometimes things like that are built in to the site software and it's not as easy as flipping a switch to fix it. I'm sure he'll chime in and update us soon. This may or may not take a while to figure out what the viable options are, and maybe we'll just have to delete the political posts as we see them. In the meantime I will try to pay better attention to that section when I get on the site. Thanks for bringing it up.

4. Olderschool

Olderschool Well-Known Member

I never knew the "status updates" section even existed. What is this section for? What's the purpose? It looks like links to members social media pages and thier recent posts?

5. multijd

multijd Well-Known Member

I never look at that. I may have noticed it but it doesnt interest me so i ignore it.

6. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

When I was an Admin here, I actually manually deleted those types of posts from the status update areas on a daily basis. I also deleted the ones with links to non related websites. But now that I think back on it, I don't ever recall even telling Ben or the Moderators that I even did this. I just saw the need for it and did it I guess. I should have communicated what I was doing a little better. Took a little time each day, but was better than everyone having to see it.

Mike

7. steveblack

See also user Cyber:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/user/28589-cyber/

Same style: 0 posts and Twitter political videos under cover of "The Bee Gees". Another familiar pattern: last active 26 Sep 2018 having joined that day. Yet a status update as at 7 Oct. We seem to be awash in internet agent provocateurs.

Note: I've reported user Cyber via his user page having noticed a "Report this Member" link down on the lower right at the bottom of the page. I missed that link before because it isn't formatted with any special color, nor is it a button. Stealth link...

8. drawtheline55

drawtheline55 Owner/admin Administrator

At this time there does not seem to be an easy or doable solution, so we will just have to monitor it more, but I am still looking for options.

Ben

9. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

For those that just don't want to see it hit the x and it should be hidden from your view

10. fun2drum

I think the new software has fixed that issue. No status updates that I can see.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  11. steveblack

Same here, but I didn't know whether or not that was just because I took blueshadow's helpful suggestion and clicked on the x to close that pane in the old version.

12. fun2drum

I never clicked out of it so I could delete political content in there as I saw it. Fortunately the status update box seems to be completely gone now.