Rare 22" Zildjian Hollow Block 2590g

Discussion in 'Sold' started by JeremiahJohnson, Aug 7, 2015.

1. JeremiahJohnson

JeremiahJohnson Well-Known Member

One of the most heavily hand hammered old A's I've ever seen. Basically looks, feels, and sounds like a Trans stamp. Very complex overtones. Quite trashy for an A. Great bell. Definitely crashable. Weight is 2590 grams. Plays lighter, in my opinion, as much of the weight is in the bell. Flexible edges. A few rough spots on the edge and a little keyhole. No cracks though. A rare and really really nice cymbal. Drilled for 6 rivets. Asking $300 shipped / PP gift.

Attached Files:

2. plexi69

plexi69 Well-Known Member

How much? Any Pics? Thanks.

3. JeremiahJohnson

Just updated the listing. Let me know if you're interested.

4. plexi69

plexi69 Well-Known Member

It is VERY hammered. Unfortunately out of my price range. Best of luck-- you may regret selling it.

5. JeremiahJohnson

Video sound file will be added tonight.

6. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Beautiful! My kinda cymbal. GLWS!

Mike

7. JeremiahJohnson

Video added. Sounds and looks amazing!!

8. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Sounds great. The more i look it the cymbal. It's like a cross between the two like you mentioned. Has the bell and overall profile of the beautiful Block Stamp models with the beautiful intense hammering of a Trans Stamp model. Best of both worlds. Just makes me wonder with you selling this, what it is that you're keeping and playing!! :laughing6:

Mike

9. JeremiahJohnson

Would consider trades for a 22" or 24" Sabian HH King Ride (Big and Ugly). Or possibly vintage Zildjian cymbals or Ludwig snares. Let me know what ya got!

10. Cliff DeArment

Cliff DeArment Gold

Wow, nice. That may be a very early Bebop. Measure the bell. If it's 6" it might be.

11. JeremiahJohnson

Yes it's 6". Classic high (steep) bell with flat top, as with almost all block stamps that I've seen.

12. 1966bmx

1966bmx Well-Known Member

A little out of my price range right now but wow I love that cymbal ! And love it is drilled for rivets and matches my other cymbals sonically as well .

13. Sneauman

Sneauman Platinum

My absolute favorite ride cymbal right now is my 22" A Zildjian, Block Stamp.

I have two, and this one sounds the best to me.

In looking at the hammering, mine looks fairly similar, but I have never heard about the 6" bell thing.

Not sure how to measure, but across the flat part, it looks like 5.5" inches to me?
    (The angle of the pic is not right to see it.)

Is this how you measure the bell?

Attached Files:

14. steveblack

steveblack Senior Cymbal Nerd

Sorry if this is a hijack but...call it a bump plus my need to do a brain dump of some info I've been sitting on:

Yours does look 5.5" to me. But it does seem to be a bit in the middle between 5.25" and 5.5". If you get the tape so it bisects the mounting hole and stretch it tightly...maybe 5.25". Can't be sure. One thing I've been doing to try and sort out this situation is to try nesting other cymbals into that one, and next that one into other cymbals. That can sometimes shed light on which bell diameters are the same. But you have to have the right size and shape of cymbals to play.

I've been struggling with the best way to measure bell diameters (and bell height and profile rise as separate components) with sufficient accuracy and repeat-ability. I must go back and try out an idea I had but didn't follow up on yet. I'm searching for a cheap cymbal measuring rig anybody could make/borrow/beg/steal bits for and do it at home. I am hungry for good measurements, ever since I discovered the variations in bell diameter (and bell height and profile rise).

Bell diameters recorded to date in 50s, 60s, 70s Avedis:

14" and 15" hats are 4" diameter (thanks to mike for the 15" measurements)
    18" are 5" diameter (although there are bigger bell crashes which are 5.5" as well as small bells which are 4.5")
    19" use the 18" bell so 5" (but small sample warning on this observation)
    20" rides are 5" (although there are some with ride weights at 5.5" as well -- don't know if that represents chronology or model: Bebop for example)
    20" crash 5.5" (again based on just one 1970s example which is very light at 1750g)
    21" 6" (based on one 1970s Made in Canada example) plus 5.5" added 11 Oct 2018
    22" 5.5" (and the 6" for BeBop models)

Bells are pressed in with a die so there are a limited number of diameters. That's the good news. You only need to get to 1/4" accuracy as far as I can tell.

Lathing under the bell and in the bell bow transition underneath can remove enough metal to change the apparent diameter by a mm or so. Also on some cymbal there is almost a ridge between the bell and bow which makes measurement easier because there is an abrupt change of angle. Other cymbals have a very gradual transition and that does make defining where to measure from more difficult. The difference might be just one second on the lathe in the crucial point on the cymbal.

15. JeremiahJohnson

Bump. Still available. Had several trade offers. Would do $375 shipped/PP gift.

16. JeremiahJohnson

New/better pics added. Someone grab this amazing cymbal already.

17. JeremiahJohnson

Final Bump. And priced to move quick.

TODAY ONLY- $250 shipped!!!!!

18. JeremiahJohnson

Sold.