Really need advice

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by Flossie, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Flossie

Flossie Well-Known Member

Ok guys I spent about 300 dollars for this drum on eBay because my vistalite set has all concert toms. Looks like a cracked seem has been fixed and it's a hair uneven on the bottom. There is a weird spidery look around the crack. I cannot feel it with the touch but I cam see it. I literally just opene the drum less than an hour ago I want to make sure I didn't wast my money ( that I don't have lol). I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone but they are coming!

[​IMG] The spidery look around the crack..????

[​IMG] pretty deep scratch:( You can't really see it in the photo.

[​IMG] missing wing nut?

[​IMG]

The lugs are dirty but look like they have all the bolts... gaskets..ETC... I haven't taken it all the way apart for cleaning yet cause I'm kinda freaking out!! The tom even has the muffler. I'm just worried about the seam issue. HELP!!!!!

2. Thud

Thud Well-Known Member

Did the seller state in the listing that it had been repaired? Did the seller show the spider cracks? If not, you can easily get your money back via paypal. It will take about a month, but you're not stuck with it. If it was damaged in shipping and the seller paid for insurance, he can get his money out of it and not take a loss.
    If the seller did mention this stuff and you bid and bought, ethically you should probably keep it. The drum will most likely sound fine with the spider cracking, but the offset repair can affect the sound if it has compromised the bearing edge(but the bearing edge on old Vistalites are frequently a little uneven) and the mount most likely came with that nut. Some have wing nuts, others just this (1/2" if memory serves) nut. Both of my Vista kits have this nut instead of the wings.
    I hope this helps.

3. Flossie

Honestly I'm fine with everything except for the way that area looks. Like is it ok? Can it be fixed!?? It's not that uneven I took more pictures to show the seem a little more.. I'm just worried about the spidery look. It did say used and all that.... As long is it's not going to bust open or something awful. I know the shells crack. Two of mine are cracked as we speak. I just don't want to be at a loss :((

4. Flossie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some different angles. I dont expect perfection I know it's old and used and has a history... Just don't want to waste 300 bucks! Lol

5. Thud

Thud Well-Known Member

Is this the one you won? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-LUDWIG-12-AMBER-VISTALITE-CLASSIC-TOM-LOT-A22-/270903794343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f131fdaa7
    If so, there is no mention of spider cracking, so you do have a case if you want to return it even though the seller stated no returns.
    Does it tune well? Spider cracking is generally from dropping them. How well was the drum packaged and did you save the packaging?

6. Thud

Thud Well-Known Member

And if that one is the one you bought, almost everyone here would love you to get a refund as most here don't like leecountymusic's methods of tearing vintage drums down to minutia to charge very high prices for parts.

7. Flossie

Yes that's it and it was my first time every buying anything from ebay :( Sigh... I did save the packing! I literally just opened it. I felt the price was expensive but I didn't want to miss out seeing i'm finding it really hard to find amber orphans

8. Flossie

What would I do to return it??

9. Tinman

Tinman Lincoln Highway Drummer

Lee County knows enough about drums and selling on Ebay that these issues should have been disclosed in the listing.

I'd contact them immediately and see what their response is. They should either issue a substantial partial credit, or accept a return for full credit.

And I think $275, even in very good condition is over-priced.

my .02

10. Flossie

Thanks tinman! I'm sad ... :( I was very excited about this drum...sigh.. I will email them right now :(

11. Thud

Thud Well-Known Member

Well, it's entirely up to you Flossie. You totally have a leg to stand on. Especially since it was listed as "Made in Chicago, IL USA EXCELLENT CONDITION!"
    If you don't want it you don't have to keep it. But if you do, Weldon 3 might go a long way toward getting the cracks squared away, but I have no personal experience with it.
    Here's some good ol' DFO info for that task, if you haven't already found it yourself.
    http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/20299-ludwig-vistalite-drum-repair/

12. Thud

Thud Well-Known Member

If they don't want to help or give a partial refund, go to paypal and file a claim. It's pretty simple, and you will get your money back.

13. Flossie

Ok well i sent them a letter... 275 was really hard for me to let go of and I do also feel that it is a steep price. Rusty lugs ect aren't the issue but the spider cracking is... I hope they help me out.

14. Flossie

You have been extremely helpful. Thank you so very much.

15. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

flossie-its really up to you on what you decide to do. amber is uncommon and can be hard to find. but you paid a premium price. and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you got what you wanted and expected. you certainly have a case to have it returned if you decide to do so. you also have to think about how hard it will be to find the item again and if you willing to wait. good luck and i hope that it works out for you.

mike

16. homeby5

homeby5 Well-Known Member

As a vistalite owner that took a LONG time and a LOT of buying and selling, I would be upset about the spider crack. But I'm pretty anal. Scratches and such are not a big deal, as they can be buffed out and the shell will shine like new, but the crack........... <_<
    Anyway, I'll echo Mike. Depends on how long you want to search for one. These are quite rare and I believe if you do find one in great condition, you may pay more. Anyway, just my .02 cents
    Either way, go after that seller. Horrible stripper of drums that knows better. Deception for sure :evil:

17. Flossie

well the seller said I can have a partial refund of $25 which in my opinion is crazy! Or I could send it back for the full refund ... or I can keep it and they will replace it when a better one comes along...Will that ever happen and how do I know it will be replaced then?

Here's the actual message:

Hi, Thank you for your email and explanation. We are sorry to hear that you are not pleased with the drum and that our cataloger missed this in the description. We can offer you 3 choices: 1) You can return the drum for a full refund. 2) We can issue a partial refund of $25. 3) You can use the drum as-is for now and we would give you a full $275 in trade when a nicer one comes in.

18. BrianOwens

BrianOwens Drumsforever

When you file a dispute select... Item is not as described!

19. mudjacker2

mudjacker2 Well-Known Member

For $275 I would want it perfect and would try for a full refund. As an Ebay seller myself, this particular seller really gets my goat. Aside from being a drum butcher, they always have totally outrageous, ridiculous prices, very vague descriptions, etc. Right now, as just 2 examples, they have 8 really rusty tension screws for $40 and a so so condition BO badge for $45, plus $5 to ship(for real?!?!), etc, etc etc.....grrrrrr.....I wouldnt buy 1 thing from this seller, even if it was my only option.....just my ranty 2 cents....

Btw....after reading your email, I wouldnt wait on that credit, cause "if" they get a really clean one they are only gonna offer you $275 toward a drum they will ask $500 for....really....

20. Flossie

Thank you guys! I guess I will return it :( this is such a hard decision! I did find another website with an amber orphan but no pictures etc... Anywho, these guys will receive the drum in better condition than what I got it in... Being the girl I am ... I took it apart and cleaned the lugs and mounts... lol ... sigh...