Return shipping went wrong...Broken bass hoop

Discussion in 'General' started by seungkeeya, Jul 14, 2018.

1. seungkeeya

seungkeeya Very well Known Member

I recently purchased a DW Exotic bop kit (used) from a small, but well-established online based drum business.

I live in Canada, so i shipped them to my mailbox in the States across the border and brought them into my homeland.

As soon as I saw the drums, I did not like it. (Finish, condition, sound, how it's functioning....etc)
    I decided to send them back to seller since he offered 30 days returns.

The kit was originally shipped in three boxes for individual drums (12, 14, 18)

I did not want to use three boxes especially from Canada, which will be a lot expensive and tricky when crossing the border.

I packed the drums again using the boxes he used to ship the kit.

I tried to "nest" 12" into 18", to use one box for two drums. And also this is a method I learned from an older threads regarding shipping the drum kit.

I used some thinner cardboard to shield the inside of the kick, re-used packing wraps to make cushions for each sides of head. I put 12" inside and it wasn't wobbly or anything. This was my first mistake.

I then bagged the kick, put into the box, which was then filled with styrofoam "packing peanut" the seller used.

Because I didn't want it to end up getting huge customs fee/taxes, I put way lower declared value thinking that it will get away with additional charges. That was my second mistake. (I sent it as "warranty/repair/refund" in case. I thought I'd play smart.)

I shipped the drums, customs clears it without any delay, delivery was made today,

I contacted the seller to let me know if he's got the drums alright, he was outside and will get back to me shortly .

Soon after, he sent me a message, "bad news, hoop came totally broken"

I got pictures of damage. The seem on the hoop was completely snapped out, looks like it has been under excessive amount of pressure. IMG_8709.jpeg IMG_8716.jpeg

He and I can only guess that stuff insider the kick drum caused so much pressure against the head.
    And some kind of impact was made from outsider like a fall or drop (probably by USPS people tossing the shipment?), the seem on the hoop must have not been able to hold the pressure and snapped.

We both don't know how to handle this. I was hoping to take partial money off of the original refund amount, but not sure how much will settle this cause.

I have never thought of "nesting" drum inside the drum would cause this issue. Now that I regret that should've used individual boxes for each drums.

But I can;t blame anything other than myself. It happened, I was the one who packed the drums that way, I was the one who didn't insure the drums. I was the one who had buyer's remorse in the first place.

Have so many things going in my head right now...

What would you think the best solution for this situation?

*BTW, the drums were limited edition exotic quilted maple kit, which I was pretty confident that DW can make the same one..

2. Tama CW

Tama CW Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem possible that a fairly light nested drum pushing outward could apply that much force....unless dropped from say 20-30 ft. Wouldn't a nested drum be sitting fairly deep inside that kick drum? It would have to have been packed at the same height as the kick drum hoops to be able to do that. Packing peanuts are probably not very compressible so they will transfer an impact load to whatever is nearby...usually the inside of the box.

In any case, I'm having trouble seeing that damage from the nested drum....short of a tossing it out of an airplane to the ground.

3. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

I have nested sets on several occasions. Not an problem for the issue you seem to have. What was the condition of the shipping box? If the hoop was pushed inward onto the shell at the break as you show in the picture, I cannot see how an internal shell pushing out on the head could cause the hoop to break in a inward direction.

I learned long ago to not mount bass hoops when shipping for the reason you are experiencing.

4. seungkeeya

seungkeeya Very well Known Member

Now that i recall, kits I bought online were all un-hooped except for this one...i guess i leanred it now.

5. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

NEVER EVER ship bass drums with the hoops attached. Always take them off and lay them around the outside of the shell.

6. clowndog

clowndog DFO Veteran

Melbourne Australia (can't believe I left Cali)
    What Rich said. You didn't insure properly. It's on you I'd say unfortunately.

7. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

In the past I've banged an exposed hoop against a door frame hard enough to pull my arm back as I walked past, and no damage like that. I'm having a hard time picturing how a nested drum inside a packed box would do that. I'm not saying it didn't, just that it must have been a heck of an impact during shipping. Like maybe a forklift backed into it up against a wall. It would have been interesting to see the box before they removed the contents.

BTW, sorry you're having to deal with that. It does seem that it's your responsibility - I hope you get it resolved in a way that both of you feel is fair.