Roy Burns has died

Discussion in 'General' started by EvEnStEvEn, May 5, 2018.

1. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

From Aquarian Drumheads:

"It is with our deepest sorrow and sadness that we inform you of the passing of our founder and friend, Roy Burns. Roy has meant so much to so many. He will be remembered as a world-renowned drummer, an educator, an author, a clinician, a percussion industry marketer and manufacturer, and most of all, a mentor.
    Roy was known not only as a world-class drummer of enormous skill but one who would play for the music and had the respect of all those that he performed with."

2. NYFrank

NYFrank Very well Known Member

I just saw something similar. No official confirmation yet, but it sounds legit.

3. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

Very sad news! Roy was a magnificent person and will be missed. I saw him at a Rogers clinic in San Diego in the 70's. His articles in MD magazine were always great reading! I had the pleasure of taking lessons from Roy back in the early 80's at Hanich Music in West Covina, Ca. A photographer from Modern Drummer was in the store and took a picture of us. Roy called me later to let me know what issue of MD we were in! Attached is a picture from the magazine! We both looked great with our checkbooks and pens in our shirt pockets! Years later, I printed out a good copy of that picture, phoned Roy at Aquarian and asked if he would autograph it. Went there the next day and spent a good 30 minutes with Roy at his desk, talking drums and the industry in general. I still have that autographed picture, along with my copy of MD with the picture and small article. Thanks, Roy, for being such a wonderful person. You will be missed!

-Mark

Attached Files:

Elvis and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  4. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

RIP. One of the best drum clinicians I ever saw.

5. rondrums51

rondrums51 rondrums51

Roy had an incredible career. The stuff he accomplished is unbelievable. Roy was from the era in which the musical bar was incredibly high, no fooling around. He was a virtuoso on his instrument. He worked with the finest jazz players in the world. He could sight read any drum part and play it perfectly.

RIP, a master drummer.

6. cornelius

cornelius Very well Known Member

Well said, Ron...

7. "poppies"

"poppies" DFO Veteran

So sad. The guy had such an impressive professional life, but was also reportedly a very approachable and nice guy.

8. Elvis

Elvis The King of Rock'n'Roll

Let's not get too hasty, folks.
    It's now 1/4 to 8 and EvenStevens post was made at 2pm, almost 6 hours ago.
    I just did a Google search and still no announcement...not even a mention.
    I don't know why that post was made at FB, but, as of right now, I can find no other source to confirm it.

Elvis

9. XVIII Airborne

XVIII Airborne DFO Veteran

Elementary & Intermediate Drum method were my fist two drum instruction books, when I started lessons at 10 years old. I still have them both, fun to see notations made in them by the 10 year old me. Loved his playing then, and still do.

10. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Just saw it on Aquarian's Facebook page so I'd assume it's confirmed. Such a great drummer and behind what I consider the best heads in the biz. I got to meet him at Summer Namm in Austin back in 2006 I think it was. Very nice guy. I told him about my first experience with his customer service was when I was about 14 and I bought an Aquarian snare head. Hit it for about and hour and it broke, took it back to the store and Kirk Scott who was a friend of his called him up "Hey Roy I got a kid here that broke one of your heads after about an hour" I could hear Roy faintly on the line "Well give him a new one then!" R.I.P.

11. Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer Well-Known Member

Confirmed...

Loved his Rogers drums...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  12. Stretch Riedle

Stretch Riedle DFO Veteran

Around 1985 I bought my first pair of Aquarian drum sticks. Red rubber handle, sticks made from plastic or graphite.

After my workplace [Starving Musician-Santa Cruz] became an Aquarian dealer, I started using Aquarian heads.

Because I liked them so much, I was recommending them a lot, and as a result we sold a fair amount of Aquarian heads and accessories.

Roy would call me a few times a year to check in. Heck of a nice guy. We'd talk drums, he'd tell me a joke, ask me what I wanted
    for free for the store house kit, and it would show up a week later.

Long live Aquarian drum heads and products.

And RIP to Mr. Roy Burns...

Stretch

13. drummerbill

drummerbill DFO Master

Really sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Roy two times and discussing heads and music. Also got to see him at The Gene Krupa Memorial show at MSG.....blown away !
    Prayers for his family .

14. NYFrank

NYFrank Very well Known Member

Great story. Thanks for sharing that.

15. Treviso1

Treviso1 DFO Master

We hate to lose another good one. Roy was a wonderful, kind, smart, and generous man. Rest in Peace.

16. Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Chicago.Drum.Exchange Well-Known Member

I've been seeing a lot of this today. Very sad news. May he rest in peace!

17. Pocketplayer

Pocketplayer Well-Known Member

What is really great about a drum forum and DOF is what we have here...stories!

Stories honor a man's life. Not to get too deep here, but our culture really sucks
    at the spiritual. In other cultures, a man that contributes to a specific genre is honored.
    I realize this is a forum, but it is the heart-beat of what honor is and stories allow
    someone like myself to know Roy in a way I never could...so thanks guys/gals!

America is so toxic today...that we can gloss over the THOUSANDS of lifetime
    hours spent developing a craft...someone dies...BOOM...flip the channel or
    play with your damn phone. Am I off here? Don't we all deep down hope our lives
    matter somehow? Just sayin'

Be it Jab'o, Pat Torpey, or Roy...thanks for the stories and pics!

(this is just my thought for the day)

Heartbeat and NYFrank like this.
  18. Elvis

Elvis The King of Rock'n'Roll

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  19. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

I always enjoyed his articles in Modern Drummer as one of the "MD Originators" and Aquarian makes great stuff. RIP.