Sabian rebrand

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by gutenberg, Jan 24, 2019.

1. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

2. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

all my cymbals look the same, as i have been removing logos for decades. cymbals look better if they are not giant billboards.

Ickybaby and Johnny D like this.
  3. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

Had the chance to check out some in person. As mentioned, the new logo is only on the underside of the cymbal. The familiar line designation logos (AAX, etc...) are visible on top. So the top actually looks cleaner and more open now. The logo on the bottom seemed hidden and only visible to the audience if you tilt your cymbals significantly. Not a chance that this new logo would dissuade me from making a purchase I would otherwise make. Actually, if they had two identical cymbals, one with the old logo on top and one with the new on the bottom, I would likely opt for the new as I think the visible side has been improved.

funkypoodle and equipmentdork like this.
  4. Bandit

Bandit DFO Veteran

Finally a voice for reason! Well said.

5. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

I played a couple of the new models at GC over the weekend- 18" thin crash and 15" medium hats. The crash is definitely a bit darker than before but still cuts and the hats sounded nice although I think they need a little breaking in first. As mentioned above the logo is only on the bottom so not as noticeable but we'll have to see what they do with the other lines.

6. equipmentdork

equipmentdork DFO Veteran

I 100% agree that having the AAX at the three-o'-clock position is much, much more visually appealing. It's where the HHX logo was a few years ago, but that one was so huge that it could be seen from space. I get why people didn't like that. That is absolutely an improvement.

I haven't seen the new ones in my local store, nor have I seen any promo merch or swag with the new logo. I saw an old poster that included Dave Garibaldi, Vinnie Paul, Tyler Stewart(BNL), Phil Collins and John Blackwell. Sigh.

Dan

MaskingApathy likes this.
  7. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Well-Known Member

I'm curious if they'll do the same thing with the AA, FRX, etc. Logo at the 3:00 position. If so then maybe it won't be so bad with the Sabian logo only on the bottom.

8. Bandit

Bandit DFO Veteran

So the world isn't ending anymore?

Mcjnic likes this.
  9. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

Hahahahaha ... perfect.

10. equipmentdork

It was? :)

Dan

11. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

As a whole it's on a slow decline that will eventually lead to the end of what we currently know the world to be, but I can't blame Sabian for that.

equipmentdork likes this.
  12. Bandit

Bandit DFO Veteran

Not sure we can blame anyone for that.

equipmentdork likes this.
  13. Tommy D

Like Romeo and Juliet, "All are punished."

mbettis and equipmentdork like this.
  14. jb111

jb111 New Member

Hahaha! No disrespect to the Bell.

15. Tommy D

That is a HH Rock ride. The Freq hats are okay. They are taking some getting used to. They are kind of like a heavy set of New Beat hats. I'm not used to heavy hats so they are kind of "clangy" and brash when they are open. I'm curious how they record.

16. Iristone

Iristone Well-Known Member

Ugly they are. And I actually like how DW lugs look. :rolleyes:

17. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Very well Known Member

Thanks for the response. I ended up getting some new 14" HHX Groove Hats in Brilliant finish. I have to say I love these, almost as much as 602 ME Hats, which is saying a lot. Very smooth and versatile. Dynamic volume wise. Probably not for the hard hitting metal guy though.

18. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Well-Known Member

I'm only 28, and have always loved Sabian cymbals, but I'm not a fan of the new branding. I think it feels like fake edginess, and I agree that it doesn't really seem to be rooted in anything... I actually loved the old logo! I mostly don't like the font they've chosen for the new one. I love vintage stuff, but this seems dated in a bad way. Reminds me a lot of this old Strat font that I don't think anyone ever cared for lol. That said, I always choose cymbals with my ears, so it won't stop me from buying any new Sabians that I like the sound of.

FB_IMG_1548850512274.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Burps and equipmentdork like this.
  19. equipmentdork

I finally saw these cymbals listed on eBay. It's as if the company is doubling down on something that is clearly not doing them any favors and is in denial about it. Almost every Sabian FB post features a few posts about how much the logo is disliked. Andy is on record as having done "research", but wouldn't the online backlash serve to override that? My feeling is that they still won't get it until they start to hurt at the retail level, which is a shame if that happens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabian-17-inch-AAX-thin-crash-New-/303078327729

Dan

Burps, lossforgain and MaskingApathy like this.
  20. Burps

Burps Well-Known Member

I started off with Sabian cymbals in the early 80s and always loved the logo. In fact it is my favorite of all cymbal company logos. I eventually grew bored with Sabian and became a Paiste fanatic. But recently I have had a renewed interest in Sabian and Zildjian. I recently had the privilege of picking out some cymbals for church and I grabbed some used 14" Regular hats. I adore these hats! I love looking at the logo while playing too. I know that sounds ridiculously stupid, but it is true.

So, when I saw this new logo design, I too was not impressed at all. It cheapens the look of the cymbals, IMO.

MaskingApathy likes this.