Sabian XS 20

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by BlakeN70, Jul 31, 2018.

1. BlakeN70

BlakeN70 Well-Known Member

Sabian XS 20..Are these cymbals any good? I am on a very tight budget but don't wanna buy the B8 line. Thanks in advance!

2. Murat

Murat Well-Known Member

Good mid level cymbals that were replaced by the new XSR line. B20 alloy, just not "worked on" as much as the higher lines from Sabian. I would take them over the B8s personally.

3. Jordan Blue

Jordan Blue Well-Known Member

Cheapest new B20 cymbals you'll find are Wuhan Traditional, which sound very bright to me for B20 or the Stagg SH series, which I like quite a bit. Nothing wrong with Sabian XS20 at all.

4. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Well-Known Member

The XS20 were/are very good sounding cymbals. As previously stated, they are B20 Bronze alloy, but not "worked" as much as higher end cymbals. Excellent sound for the money. Here are some pictures of my XS20 cymbals. I've since sold both the cymbals and PDP kit as I wasn't using either!

-Mark

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      168.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      139 KB
      Views:
  5. drummerjohn333

drummerjohn333 Well-Known Member

I bought some XS20s for my church, seeking warmer cymbals. We eventually built an enclosure, which freed me up to use whatever cymbals I want.
    Once I threw up some other cymbals, I realized how lousy those XS20s sound. That said, I have a Sabian ride with no ink, which is speculated to be a brilliant XS20. It sounds great.

For the money - you will find overwhelming advice to buy used Zildjian As. If you get good ones, they will last you a lifetime, and the new ones will look just like the used ones in no time at all. By the time it matters, you will be older and grateful you bought some used As way back then instead of wasting money paying for new shine and paying for some company's marketing budget.

Another recommendation, if you must have new, would be Wuhans. They are very good these days compared to the past (I understand). Just be prepared to buy several in order to get some great sounding ones - as they are not as consistent as, say, Paiste for example.

6. Mackermanesq

Mackermanesq Well-Known Member

It would take more work and time but look at used cymbals, particularly old A Zildjians--I have seen a bunch of them very reasonably priced. Much better value than a lower level model for about the same money if you look long enough online

7. singleordoubleheads

singleordoubleheads Well-Known Member

While I agree with the "get some used/new A's" theme, I do own one XS 20--its an 18" Chinese. Very mellow sounding, almost swishy--a very far cry from my Holy China. I love having the option of playing a quiet, smokey or loud brash China type depending on the gig.

8. Tmcfour

Tmcfour Well-Known Member

The wuhans are great!