Scott K Fish Meets Dan 'red66charger' Eggleston and Cottondale Swamp

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott K Fish, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish Well-Known Member

Scott K Fish Meets Dan 'red66charger' Eggleston and Cottondale Swamp

[​IMG]

My overdue thanks to Dan Eggleston for his kindess when I was visiting St. Petersburg, FL last October. I have Dan's permission to tell you he is "red66charger" on DrumForum.org -- a terrific online gathering of drummers. I've been a DrumForum.org member since August 18, 2014.

Last October I posted on the forum a simple message, "Hi - Visiting. Any recommendations for local music? Thank you." Dan replied with lots of insightful information that could be reprinted as, "A Drummer's Guide to St. Petersburg."

I had the chance to meet and thank Dan in person outside the Hideaway Cafe & Recording Studio in downtown St. Petersburg. Ours was a brief hello. Dan's band, Cottondale Swamp, was at the Hideaway that afternoon to record a music video of an original song, Leave Me On The Suwannee.

Here's Dan and I outside the Hideaway. And here's the music video the band cut that day. Cottondale Swamp, Dan tells me, is performing at the Hideaway Cafe on February 11, 2017.

Thanks again, Dan.

&feature=youtu.be

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    Prufrock likes this.
  2. Saladdaze

Saladdaze Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post and clip, Scott! No surprise on that Southern hospitality. Dan is truly one of the good guys here on the Forum. He's become a great friend over the years and I look forward to also meeting him one day soon.

Hey, redcharger, you're looking good and sounding even better in that video. Nice work!

IMG_2195.jpg

3. purist

purist Well-Known Member

What, no blast beats? Just kidding. Very nice drumming on that tune. The band sounds good too.

4. gwbasley

gwbasley Well-Known Member

Dan is a great guy and good friend...glad he was able to help you out during your visit to St. Pete!

5. drummertom

drummertom Well-Known Member

Great stuff!

Dan, is that a steel gray ripple powertone snare I spy? You found one!

6. drawtheline55

drawtheline55 Owner/admin Administrator

Nice all the way around, thanks for the video, good to see a face to Dan AKA Red66Charger.

Ben

7. ludslingerwig

ludslingerwig Well-Known Member

very cool.

8. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks Scott! I've never been the subject of a thread before...SUH-WEET! j/k :)

It was so nice to meet you that day Scott. As I told you then, it was a real privilege for me and I am humbled that you took the time to visit. Before it gets away from me, I am always happy engage and share with all members of the DFO fraternity should I have the opportunity.

While I certainly don't feel deserving of praise I'm glad you shared this Scott, because it gives me the chance to say how awesome the internet can be. Yes, we all know the pitfalls of cyberspace, but I'll grab the rare glass of half-full water (for me) and say that without the internet...or Ben and DFO...and without the "brotherhood" we often refer to on these pages, this meeting would likely have never happened. As brief as it was, there stood two relative strangers united in camaraderie and a new friendship as a result of someone looking for advice and another answering (and I recall there were others providing feedback as well).

Some of my favorite posts here as well as other forums and social media platforms is when cyber acquaintances are able to meet up and share share their story with others. I feel fortunate that I got to be on the receiving end of one of these encounters.

Lastly, I want to add that there is another great reason I'm glad you shared this Scott. Recently (as in last week) I became the benefactor of a generous gift by a member here (who happened to reply to this thread somewhere between this response and Scott's original post). I know he wouldn't want me to single him out so I won't. Suffice to say that his generosity "hit me where it counts" and I hope he knows how blown away and grateful I am. Once I accepted what was happening I got to thinking about our late brother Mitch (Bongo Congo). I had interacted with Bongo here but never got to know him the way so many of you did. I recall in the weeks after Mitch's passing the numerous members telling stories of Mitch generously and quietly gifting them drums, cymbals and the like. Mitch's kindness did not leave with him...it stayed right here. Another example of the power of this space, kindness and "brotherhood".

I still feel like a newbie here having only joined in 2012. But I have learned A TON...been helped A TON...and made some awesome new friends. So THANK YOU Scott for providing me an opportunity to say "thanks" myself! I hope we can hook up again sometime.

George and purist...thank you for your kind words. I almost spit my coffee out this morning when I read the blast beats comment! Maybe in another life? :)

Tom...YES! I did indeed land a REALLY nice SGR Powertone. It is a '67 Dayton which is the same year as my flat grey interior SGR 20/12/16!!! The snare came to me with incorrect hoops, rods, missing tone control and one Fullerton era lug. Shortly after I acquired the drum I noticed several eBay listings from a seller with parts from a Powertone snare. I contacted the seller and he agreed to sell me all the stuff I needed to complete this drum. His drum had a shell that was damaged beyond repair so he was glad the parts were going to complete this one. I think I had the drum together about two weeks when we recorded the video. Needless to say I am thrilled with the drum!

Thanks again to everyone "here" that have helped me in one way or another.

Drums and Prufrock like this.
  9. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Good vibes all around - thanks for posting and sharing.

10. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Love topics like this. I've never met Dan, but we've had some great conversations via our forum for sure. Great stuff guys!

Mike

11. & You Dont Stop

& You Dont Stop Drumming Since '85

A real treat to read this.

I hope if anyone is close to Wichita Falls, they'll give me a chance to shake their hand

12. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

I thought this was going to be an interview of perhaps not so famous drummers in the trenches. Still an intriguing idea for a series, I clicked on it.

13. drawtheline55

drawtheline55 Owner/admin Administrator

Great post, great stuff, thanks guys.

Ben

14. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

Saladdaze just turned me on to this post. Great stuff. Really enjoyed the video and info.

15. Gotdrums

Gotdrums 3rd most viewed drummer online

Like.