SKF Blog Audio: Gary Chester - Teaching as a Way of Life

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott K Fish, May 21, 2017.

1. Scott K Fish

Scott K Fish Very well Known Member

&feature=youtu.be

SKF NOTE: This is an excerpt from my Sept. 18, 1982 with Gary Chester which I transcribed, edited, and published as a Modern Drummer feature interview. Other than removing a few of my Mm-hm's -- useless mouth sounds I've since learned to avoid while taping interviews -- this excerpt is intact.

The language is a colorful in spots. [Minors be advised.] But it's Gary Chester straight, no chaser.

Gary's daughter, Katrina, and Tony Cruz -- a former Gary Chester student -- are working on a Gary Chester documentary. I'm publishing this excerpt, hoping it attracts the attention of former students, studio musicians, recording industry people, who knew Gary, and who are willing to speak about it with Tony and Katrina. You can email them: <>

Meanwhile, Gary's Modern Drummer interview and other background material are available on my blog, Life Beyond the Cymbals.

Here is a link to the real Gary Chester Facebook page.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  2. gwbasley

gwbasley DFO Veteran

Scott, you just took me right back. Every lesson with Gary was like that...you didn't just get drumming and reading and performing, you got life philosophy as well. Whatever the level you were starting with Gary, you left a more mature musician, and I mean musician and not drummer...that was Gary Chester.

3. snappy

snappy Very well Known Member

Thanks so much for posting this.
    "New Breed" is a very important book.