Snare throw-off for 4" snare

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by rdumas, Nov 11, 2018.

1. rdumas

rdumas Very well Known Member

Hello Builders,
    Thinking of putting together a 4x14 snare and wondering if a normal snare throw-off fits or will I need a piccolo sized throw-off?

Thanks in Advance

2. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Just made a 4 myself and a regular throw will not fit (I had hoped to cannibalize a budget snare...).

3. rdumas

Thats a bummer....not a lot of great options in a piccolo size. Wonder what the cutoff is...4.5"?

4. dtk

dtk DFO Master

The guys at drumfactory direct were able to give me a list of one's that would fit. I'm not all that particular myself.

5. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I have a 4x14 Worldmax and it has a standard P85-type throw. Works/fits just fine.

If I were building a new one, I'd use the Ludwig piccolo throw and butt plate. I know Salt City Drums on eBay has them for $20/pair (I get a lot of stuff from them - decent/fair/honest sellers!)....and the price is way cheaper than anyplace else!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-P83...h=item3f9cd9aa0c:g:jNcAAOSwCRRa-rxY:rk:1:pf:0

6. Balance

Balance Well-Known Member

I've been having the same problem, here's food for thought:

You can use two adjustable butt plates on either end. Might have to pay a bit extra, but a quick image search shows DW and Dunnet make adjustable butt plates. Example; the DW has three positions, if you have one of these at either end you (in theory) can make the right adjustments to have the snares completely off or on tight.

[​IMG]

7. rdumas

Drummers are brilliant.

8. Balance

Also have a look at some of the marching snare butt plates, in your neck of the woods you might be able get one cheap who knows.

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Balance - do you think double butt plates will actually work? I have a few DW's with the 3 way butt and the snare is on (mid), barely on (loose), or choked (tightest), so for me, the "tightest" position is useless. Unless I am doing something wrong.

So question - when you attach the wires, what position are you in? I am in the middle so maybe I should be in the "loosest"?

10. andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

The george way beer tap throw works well. I just used it on a 2.5"x13" snare. You may also reach out to decibel percussion. they've got some pretty slick throws for shallow drums too.

11. Balance

The DW was just a quick image search to give an example, I don't own one. There should be more adjustable butt plates around, years ago I saw one that you can twist forever until it tightens... and yes, it was a butt plate.

Hmm... does this butt plate give you large adjustments or small ones? Like I said, I don't own one but am very interested in it now as I have a few shells! To answer your question anyway, I would adjust the tightest position first then the rest should take care of itself. Let me know how you go.

12. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

This little Gibraltar worked great for this 4" pic. I dont remember the butt, I think it was a World Max piece, I forget because I had several laying here for some time.

20180927_172306 copy.jpg

20180927_172210 copy.jpg

20180927_172210 copy.jpg

Attached Files:

rdumas likes this.