The awesome drummer YOU are

Discussion in 'General' started by DrummerJustLikeDad, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    The thread called, "I suck" resonated with me. I personally feel my playing stalled out around age 21, and too many stagnant years since then have produced much discouragement with myself in how I play. I am far more likely to keep better track of my perceived deficiencies than my improvements, and it happens to sound like there might be a few of us who feel that way around here.

I'm sure most people are far too humble to want to participate in this, but this is specifically for everyone out there who, more often than not, becomes self critical about your abilities.

I would love to hear us as we each share one or two compliments that have stayed with you over the years that somebody said about your playing. This shouldn't be seen as bragging, and I hope the intent to edify each other is understood. My hope would be this might help reinforce a positive outlook for ourselves and for what keeps us going behind the instrument we love. I also think it would give us even better appreciation for one another on the topic we share a passion for, and hopefully foster even more mutual encouragement for each other.

I really ask you receive this in that spirit as I volunteer the following and kick off the thread:

1) You just have a nice touch.
    2) You think of things that no one else thinks to play. (I took that as a compliment and I'm sticking with that!)

Okay, now YOUR turn!

2. Rik_Everglade

Rik_Everglade Very well Known Member

"You're the first drummer I've played with that doesn't rush!"
    The things that compliment me without somebody saying anything:
    Annual bash, where some kick-ass guitar slingers and acoustic songmeisters are invited to play, from Cali, Colorado, NJ, NY city, NC, Nashville, Buffalo, Fredonia... I'm the only drummer that they ever invite. I get a lot of "yeah" nods towards me from everybody playing.

3. gbow

gbow Well-Known Member

The song writer, vocalist, guitar player, leader of a band I play with....

In an interview, they asked about the "drummer" and he said. We auditioned a number of drummers who were all great drummers, but when we would play a new original song he's the only guy who could always play something that worked.

A few years later, we were starting work on an album. I could tell the "suits" were pulling him aside and talking to him about a new drummer. He convinced them to let me record the first song and "see how it goes." After the first take on the song, I went into the control room where the engineer looked at me and said "closest thing to Bonham I've ever heard!" Needless to say I turned about three shades of red!

One thing I've said many times to young drummers. Go ahead and search youtube and try to learn as much as you can, but don't be discouraged. There are so many guys on youtube that can do unworldly things with a pair of drum sticks. But none of that is actually necessary to play most songs or be a creative artist. Play within yourself, embrace the idiosyncrasies that make YOU different, and enjoy every minute of it. It'll show through and people will take notice. If you play everything perfect, perfect with each hand, perfect spacing of hits, perfect weight, no passion.... now you're a computer and are worthless!

gabo

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I recently backed my 10 y.o. son and his acoustic guitar group at the Monterey Blues Festival. The teachers were plugged in and about 6 kids were acoustic. In our Saturday classes, normally there is no bass or drums, just guitars and recently some singing. The head teacher knows I drum although I am there weekly on acoustic and try to "parent volunteer" as much as I can. Anyway, long story short, she asked me on the spot to sit in on drums! After the 6 song set, she totally thanked me as later did the head of the organization.

At the next rehearsal (last Sat.), she thanked me again and I thanked her, too, as it was a dream come true. She really appreciated that I was able to keep rhythm because the kids played tighter, it was easier for the kids to start and stop the songs, and the songs sounded better with my beat. She said I played just right and not overpowered (considering it was a mostly acoustic gig on unknown loud drums, loud cymbals and I literally had 2 minutes to "warm up" and all I could do was move the stool around). Great to hear that. All I thought during the gig was keep it easy, simple and quiet, yet drive the music (a few surf tunes, a pop song, and 2-3 traditional sing alongs/Americana songs).

The best part is that she has invited me to sit in for their next gig in a few weeks at an outdoor theater opening for a "movie in the forest" family night opening for Grease......I'm totally stoked about this!

She is a very good bluegrass player/singer who has only been playing guitar 2 years (and blows me away playing 23 years!) and she does local gigs and can sing, too! So it's a true compliment from a a real musician!

5. repete

repete This one goes to eleven

Things that have stood out and meant a lot to me -
    a bass player - "You know where the one is"
    a guitar player - "with you, I don't have to worry about listening to you because you are always there when you should be. I can
    focus on on what I want to play"
    I had a guy once tell me that I didn't realize how good I was - I take that as being humble and appreciative to what I can add to the music
    and while I might not notice, other people do.

"You. You know your way around the kit!"

I like to think that I have my ego very much in check - I love to play ( going into my 41st year ) and I love to hear compliments from musicians and people
    that come to see us but I never feel like it's something out of the ordinary other than me just playing, having a good time, making people dance, making the
    music feel good for everyone there!

Back in Boston I was playing with several Blues bands and a woman blues radio host asked who my favorite Blues drummers were. I sort of just fell into playing with these bands because I liked what they were doing. I never listened to the Blues other than Stevie and some Allman Bros. so I told her I didn't have any favorites and she complimented me on my playing style. That was nice

6. rculberson

rculberson Very well Known Member

Jerry Wiggins, longtime Buckaroo drummer, complimented me on my solid time on a few occasions. I was in a band with his son for many years, so Jerry would often show up for our gigs.

The lead singer for Vertical Horizon was doing promo at a local radio station back when their one hit was at its zenith. He came to a club my band was playing and approached me after a set. He complimented me on my playing and enthusiasm for the music. He even suggested that if the drummer in his band should ever leave the gig, to keep in touch for an possible future audition. Gave me his contact info and everything!

7. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Recently a jazz vocalist complimented me on my backing. More than anything she appreciated that I played musically and listened. I hold onto stuff like that when I'm thinking " But I'm no Joe Morello."

8. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

The phone still rings......and I've been told I smell nice.

mcjaco likes this.
  9. MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112 "Normal" Drummer

I have been told that I play with great dynamics, and that I am easy to lock in with. I am definitely not going to blow anybody away with my chops, so I do work on my dynamics and trying to be as musical as possible.

NYFrank likes this.
  10. Lazmo

Lazmo Be excellent to each other...

Well, I still stand by my assertion that I suck, but my favourite drumming compliment came quite regularly from an old guy who used to sit at the bar of a mates open mic that I would drum for.

He would say you are my second favourite drummer

He was quite well off and had a house in Melbourne and a house in Sydney and he told me that his favourite drummer played at his regular watering hole in Sydney. He loved live music and had quite a broad knowledge of who was who in the zoo, so I was happy to take second place.

Not many other drummers would sit in on my kit, I think mainly because it was a bikini kit, but if they did, he would give me the thumbs up when I got back in the chair. I actually think the bikini kit had a fair hand in me only playing for the song, and contributed significantly to making my playing more tasteful.

11. halldorl

halldorl DFO Veteran

You are the reason I started playing drums is probably the biggest compliment that has stuck with me. I

12. moodman

moodman Lone Wolf

I got fired for telling the leader he should let our guitarist play the solos, not him (such a hack but didn't know it)
    The entire band quit the next day.
    Bruce Conte came to my bands jam, several weeks in a row, he brought Roger Smith and others from his band at that time, Power PLay.
    He told my band leader 'when I come up, use your drummer'.

13. The Fossil

The Fossil Very well Known Member

home of Buffalo Bill's Original Wild West Show
    I've been told by guitarists & bass players that:

1. I don't "overplay". (to me, "Less is More")

2. I know where they're going before they get there, {song wise).

At age 66, I don't feel like I have to play "over the top" to impress people. My drumming is wat it is.

14. mcjaco

mcjaco DFO Veteran

I considered myself "above average" through high school. Was in a band, and was always being asked to sit in with start up bands. Then college hit, and I stopped playing. 12 years later, I was asked if I could come over and jam with a guy. That day was ten years ago. I've lost strength in my right hand, my rudiments are now crap, and I don't have time, or the space to really practice. But my bands play about 15-20 shows a year. I've tried to round out my playing, more than worry about wowing anyone with stick twirls, fills, etc.

These compliments were in the past two years:

1) You're the driver of the band. Solid, didn't over do anything, and you seem to be able to shift styles easily and really well. I'd play with you any time.
    2) Watching you is fun. Nothing over the top. You play to the song, and keep it moving.

15. paul

paul DFO Veteran

Another musician's wife commented to me about my big band's performance of the Pat Williams arrangement of "In the Still of the Night," saying, "I didn't know drums could sound like that."

16. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

I got messaged last night from a fellow musician who had heard me in my Petty (TBJ) band but never my funk/R&B/classic rock band, DrD, until last night. For me, this is the highest compliment I could receive.

yeah man, gotta tell you, while I enjoy your solid beats with TBJ, equally if not more; I was wowed last night! Great tact, attack, meter and the band awesome - my first time checking you guys out...you should be playing some bigger festivals!
    LOVED that female singer/trumpet too.

17. Bonzoholic

Bonzoholic Helluva Nice Guy

Good groove & pocket.

Play for the song, not yourself.

18. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer

John Myung, bassist for Dream Theater wrote me a note telling me I was better than Portnoy.

Ok, so it was an autograph signing and I asked him to write that on his head shot, but hey, he didn't refuse!

To Tom, who is better than Portnoy. Signed, John Myung

19. shuffle

shuffle DFO Master

I've got: great time,dynamics,and women say i make them wanna dance!
    So,im in!

20. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

And lest we forget why we started playing in the first place: Who in this photo is actually having FUN?

scan.jpg