The challenge - the smallest usable electronic drum kit

Discussion in 'Electronic Drum Zone' started by NYFrank, Jan 15, 2018.

1. NYFrank

NYFrank Very well Known Member

There have been many threads about electronic kits, but this one has a twist - what would you suggest as the smallest easily portable kit where you can legitimately practice with it. To be legit, it needs:

- Small pads - not those table top toy mats

- Responsiveness - so that you can actually practice doubles and jazz buzzes on the pad

- Enough pads to have SD, BD pedal, HH pedal, Tom, Ride, Crash

- Doesn't sound like junk, but doesn't need to be the greatest sounds either - as long as it responds properly.

Ok, place your bids.

2. electrodrummer

electrodrummer Member

3. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

Kick: Roland KD7 https://goo.gl/images/qcYrd3
    HH: Roland FD7 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LGTFLRwyL._SY355_.jpg
    HH #2: VH11 (look it up, be easier)
    Snare: Roland PD10 https://goo.gl/images/PnYhVn
    Cymbals: CY12/14
    Module: TD8/10/12/20 heck, even a TD6v would meet your basic criteria.

You could put all of that in a single bag with a lightweight hardware pack like the one from DW.

Note: most of what I suggested is yesterdays news, but can be picked up in great condition and relatvely cheap compared to the newest edrum gear....

4. wolfereeno

wolfereeno Well-Known Member

Thinking about the same idea. A setup like the dw practice kit, where everything's mounted to a single folding stand. But not made for a child like the low end roland's seem to be. And ideally you don't have to disconnect much to transport it.

5. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Not really a traditional kit but you can add bass drum and a snare drum pads to a Roland Octapad and then the cymbals and toms (or whatever sounds you want) are on the octapad. That would be about as compact as you could get.

&t=87s

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    Iristone and NYFrank like this.
  6. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

Hmmm the octapad is interesting like that. I'm considering selling my Catalina 26/12/13/16/18 kit, keeping my cymbals and a snare. Get another E-kit that'd let me shoehorn 3U/2D (something that's never been an option with a 26" BD) into a smaller corner of the music room, and drag out the real snare and cymbals for recording (and just record with triggered toms/kick). Octopad would give 8U -bwahaha. Ok, maybe 4 up and 4 effects. Keeping the ability to keep my real cymbals would mean it'd be a little bigger than what that video shows but it could still be pretty compact.

7. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the Yamaha dd75. I haven't seen it, but I've seen people gig with the earlier dd65 and dd55 units.

8. xsabers

xsabers World's Second Most Okayest Drummer