The Time Has Come Today!

Discussion in 'General' started by shuffle, Aug 12, 2018.

1. shuffle

shuffle Well-Known Member

Over the last yr,ive been debating about the bands,the local music scene and my health,physically and mentally.
    At my age,im tired of messing with jams,gigs,clubs,club owners,drunks,sluts and animals pissing on the
    In my heart I've lost alot of passion for music and drumming.
    When im gigging,I'm thinking of being at home,ive come the where i dont mind cancelled rehearsals as much as i have loved rehearsal.
    I dont practice much except to learn tunes and im ok with that.
    Sooo,ive given notice to both bands starting Oct1 and I nixed the jams.
    Taking off from music for 6-12 months then decide if its worth backing back into.
    Maybe,in a yr,ill either be refreshed or figure thats enough.
    I feel in my heart that its time to make the move.
    I believe its time to bow out.
    Now,im booked til Sept 30 so the timing is perfect then nothing in Oct.
    Lots of double headers since all the special events are happening now and Sept.
    I have several plans in the works,some travel so im looking forward to it!
    Both bands understood and have seen how crippled up i am after gigs and the time it takes to recover.
    I love both bands but...its time!

2. MrDrums2112

MrDrums2112 "Normal" Drummer

I can certainly understand. I have not reached that stage yet. My day job causes me a lot of stress and anxiety at times, and drums, drumming and music provide the perfect outlet. I still enjoy playing with the same group of guys I have been with for over 2 decades now, and I do a couple of local theater gigs during the summers. Maybe, as you said, some time away from it with cause you to reflect on the positive moments over the years. Good luck with everything!

3. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Well-Known Member

shuffle! I completely understand where you are coming from. I, too, have lost interest in practicing, gigging, etc. This is why I've started to downsize the number of snare drums and complete kits I currently have. I have a drum room with most of my collection and it's nice to look at everything. But, that's about as far as it gets now! I'm actually working on some snare drums right now that I will be offering both on this forum and eBay.

Like you say..."the time has come today"! All the best to you, too!

-Mark

4. bellbrass

bellbrass Well-Known Member

I understand the OP and his point of view...but I basically am in the same situation, and have similar attitudes as expressed by MrDrums. I know the end is coming sooner than later, but I'm enjoying the rise as long as I can in the meantime. my band has given me a lot of fun memories over the last 15 years, and playing with them has been a gift.

5. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig Well-Known Member

Great song by the Chambers Brothers, by the way.

Dont disappear from the forum. Id like to hear how things are going after September ends and yer new life commences

6. doubleroll

doubleroll Well-Known Member

Same situation I was in about a year ago. Gave my band notice just before the winter 2017, just didnt want to go through another NY winter lugging the kit around. Practice and rehearsal were starting to become a challenge rather than fun. Well a year in and Im ready to jump back in...so never say never I guess.

Good luck whatever you decide to do next...

7. repete

repete This one goes to eleven

Ive been in a similar state of mind before and as I get older (52 in a few months) I do wonder every now and then what it will be that would cause me to post something like OP. I guess we all get to that point sometime....

8. Wheresmyroadie?

Wheresmyroadie? Twisted Loner

Pat, I get it, pal. I just left my band of 15 years, too. I remember seeing a drummer in Lake Tahoe who was so bored, he practiced Black Jack while playing one-handed. I vowed I wouldn't go out that way.

Well, Playing background music for arrogant IT nerds and their mail order wives all this time is enough for me.

Look at it this way: You aren't quitting, just moving on. Knowing you and your capabilities, you may not be gigging, but still playing.
    I hope to see ya one of these days...

9. Stickclick

Stickclick Well-Known Member

You can always get back into it if you want.

10. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Best to you regardless the direction you take. Just keep your favorite tubs around so you don't have to scramble for gear like I did when I "unquit". :)

11. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Yup! Totally understand. OT sucks getting old for sure (64 for me). Im getting that way with my cycling as well. Im not quite ready to stop playing out but I can see the day...

Take care and most importantly, stay active in life.

12. shuffle

Thanks guys!
    Appreciate the understanding!
    I know theres several older players than myself who are gigging and i salute you but the grind gets to me.
    At 67,3-4 hr gigs are wearing me out.
    I'm feeling pretty jacked about this.

13. Blisco

Blisco Well-Known Member

You've got 20 years on me but I can relate. Some days I'm just worn out, others, I'm excited to play. I played 3 hours Thursday for the Packer game, last night at a great outdoor venue and tonight at a really nice outdoor venue. All three gigs in high humidity. Very draining.

I can only hope that I am still playing at your age. That's impressive for sure. Nothing wrong with stepping back to assess the passion. Good luck.

I always joke that after rock shows I'll move to country and finally end up in polka at the very end.

14. Jordan Blue

Jordan Blue Well-Known Member

(Why was I thinking this thread might be about The Chambers Bros?)

Yeah Shuffle, I totally get it. I'm 64 and between bands myself and after over 50 years of playing live music pondering if I should just cash it in. I've long since lost patience dealing with band drama, drunk band members, a-hole club owners, etc. And the band pay is about the same it was in the 80's? WTH is that about? Setting up and tearing down sucks even though my kit has gotten way smaller. If I decide to get back into the fray it will be strictly no more four hour bar gigs. Restaurant patios, coffee houses, or something like that for a couple of hours. If I don't get back into it, oh well...I had a good run.

15. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Yeah, I must say, the day after gigging, I usually feel like dog poop! Two gigs in a row, whoa!

16. p83

p83 Well-Known Member

not always that easy to get ''back in the loop''.

17. Stretch Riedle

Stretch Riedle Well-Known Member

I think it IS easy to get back into it. I took 5 years off [even though I didn't intend to] and after realizing
    I missed drumming way too much before long I was in two bands and having a blast again. And I'm 63, not a young kid.

Your break sounds like something that will be a good thing, regardless of your decision when you ponder it again.
    Stretch

18. shuffle

Thanks again,ive got tons of good times,opened for several big names,played some great gigs,some weird ones and some dogs.
    Like Dan said ,today i feel like crap after two nights this weekend,ive got some triple headers in Sept!
    I love drums and the physics behind them ,so ill continue to buy snares and kits,dink with them in the meanwhile.

19. Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer Well-Known Member

Yes it is a great song. I understand the poster though I dont gig. You just get older and kind of worn down by life. What used to be fun and exciting becomes tendious and monotonous. Find a way to recharge, take a break or approach in a new way. Durms represent that for me. My brother played but I didnt. Now he is gone and I'm learning them. He and I will never have drum related conversations that I wish we could have. But I feel in some way the common interest connects us.

20. vintagemore2000

vintagemore2000 Well-Known Member

Pat I understand. Maybe a break is just what you need. !?