tom stands for pads, integrating pads into acoustic set

Discussion in 'Electronic Drum Zone' started by dwdave, Dec 28, 2017.

1. dwdave

dwdave Groovinator

Hey folks,

I'm trying to figure out how to add some PD-7 pads to my 2 up 1 down acoustic kit. I'd like to add 3 pads above my rack toms but not sure if a regular tom stand will have the reach. What have you used to to add pads to your kit? BTW, I'm thinking I want to 3 pads to get get tom type and other analog sounds, not just trigger a sample

thanks! any advice is helpful. At this point it seems like cutting up some rack tubes and making a DYI mount to a tripod is my best bet....

2. electrodrummer

electrodrummer Member

Do you actually have the PD7 pads or is this just an idea? (of interest, what module?)

3. cochlea

cochlea DFO Veteran

IMG_0945.JPG I accomplished exactly what you described using a Gibraltar Hybrid Mounting Pod (GRS-HMP). It's a 24" rack bar that comes with a clamp to mount it to a vertical tube, in my case the vertical post of a Pearl T2000 double tom stand. The Pod also comes with two additional clamps that accept the "L-arm" brackets for my PD-8 pads. I ordered a 3rd clamp so that I could position 3 PD-8 pads directly above, and slightly behind my two mounted toms (which in my case are two full-size electronic drum pads). You could accomplish the same with two acoustic toms on a similar stand.

Dan Radin likes this.
  4. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Great question...Great Answer...

the guy from midnight oil uses a similar set up.

thought perhaps not as playable...I used a few e-cymbals to trigger sounds on my acoustic kit because they're lighter to drag to gigs and easier to place.

Found another picture of his kit...the acoustic and e toms are hung off the same rack...some up...some down.

Attached Files:

5. dwdave

dwdave Groovinator

Yes, I have 4 pads and a Nord 1 drum synth. I want to add either the small Roland sample player or the Yamaha dtx 12. The Roland is probably a better fit for my needs.

I ended up getting 3 DW parts that will allow me to mount 3 pads to an existing tom stand. I'll send a picture out when I get them. This will allow me to easily mount them on my kit at home AND mount to my gigging kit using the same hardware. Kudos to DCP for having all the parts in stock at a fair price!!