Top ten rudiments

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by scottpep, Jan 16, 2018.

1. scottpep

scottpep Well-Known Member

Here are the top ten rudiments I use in my day to day playing.

You can change the accents, subdivisions, add flams, etc, and these could keep a person busy for years and years without working on the other 30.

I'm not saying don't learn the others, but for new students I teach these first and it changes their playing a ton.

Do you guys have any favorites you use all the time I didn't include?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    bob likes this.
  2. bigbonzo

bigbonzo Well-Known Member

Does anyone belong to N.A.R.D anymore?

Pounder likes this.
  3. scottpep

I had never heard of it. Just googled it now. I guess I have never been a marching drummer so that could be why. Also. These are MY top ten rudiments for playing stuff on the drum set. I use all these every time I sit down to play usually. To be totally honest I don't use a ton of ruffs, flam taps, and ratamacue's in my day to day playing, although I should add more flams.
    I'm not saying not to learn them. In fact, you SHOULD learn all 40. I just think these 10 or so are the most useful for drum set playing.

4. bigbonzo

bigbonzo Well-Known Member

When I was learning the rudiments there were only 26. I discovered about 5 years ago that it had grown to 40.

Along with those I also learned the "Swiss" rudiments.

Back in the day, I was more of a marching drummer than a set drummer.

Though, you are correct, a lot of the rudiments are useful on the set.

Pounder likes this.
  5. DrumKeys

DrumKeys Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I really need to spend more time on some of these, particularly some of the paradiddle variations.

For example, on the reverse paradiddle, putting that accent on the first note of the double is something I need to spend more time on.

BTW - One of my favorite stickings for drum fills is to playing the accent on the first note of the first half of the paradiddle and then playing the accent on the second note of the second half like this:

RlrrlRll

I've also seen some of your linear drum vids on YouTube. Keep up the good work!

6. scottpep

Thanks . I have played for quite a while and my channel is there to help some other drummers save time not doing the mistakes I did.. Such as avoiding rudiments for years and years. I have become a different player in the last few years working on this stuff.. It's funny, all of the versions of the diddles are almost the same sticking, and just singles and doubles. But you could practice singles and doubles all day and it doesn't help THAT much. When it becomes instinct it's a beautiful thing to just have it come out of you.

I wish I was in marching band as a youngster. also RlrrlRll is pretty neat... accenting both singles in the diddles is fun as well. RLrrLRllRLrrLRll then triplets. RLr rLR llR Lrr LRl l RL rrL Rll you can do that for all of the versions, then displace it, modulate it etc. I am going to spend this year working on mastering just singles, doubles and diddles. there are so many options I don't even want to worry about the other stuff.

7. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

Since I focused on my paradiddles more over the last couple of years, I find I incorprate them into my playing now, without really thinking about it. I saw Neil doing it a few years back, and decided to try it. Adds flavour to your playing.

8. tommy stixx

tommy stixx Well-Known Member

Came across this post as I am about to "go practice". Great video man.

I have been playing a pretty long time and NOT versed in many rudiments. I joke that I am a meat and potatoes drummer: Solid pocket and groove, nothing fancy. All singles on fills :(

That said there are a bunch of things I'd like to work on.

1. Rudiments and getting them incorporated into my playing.
    2. Hand speed - especially when I get more rudiments under my belt
    3. Independence - all around improvement with adding left foot on hi hat

Gonna check out your channel and docs. Do you have a video you recommend as a starting point. I want to approach the rudiments as if I was learning for the first time, need to undo some habits.

Thanks!
    Tommy

9. Hop

Hop Well-Known Member

tommy stixx likes this.
  10. scottpep

I'm going to make some more specific videos soon. I have a bunch up there but there is no order to them lol.. Most are intermediate kindof lessons but I explain in a way a beginner can understand, yet an expert can still work on it and take it to the next level at least.

I have had guys requesting some things for me to post in my channel so maybe i'll start doing more of what people ask.

This was just to show the rudiments that I personally find useful. I should have added in some flams. but once these are all in memory you can start flamming stuff all you want.

My advice is to start very slow. make sure your playing clean and in time. hit every note and fingers don't leave the sticks. also stay relaxed. Staying relaxed has been the key to increasing my speed lately.

tommy stixx likes this.
  11. tommy stixx

12. tommy stixx

Thanks Scott. I worked on the paradiddle diddle yesterday from not really knowing it to working it into a fill around the set. Amazing what an hour or two of focused time will do. I think I will approach a handful of the rudiments I don't know this way until they become second nature. I find when playing with my band, I tend to be less relaxed when trying to do something new or thinking about it too much. The stuff I play naturally and am really comfortable with just feels more pleasurable to play.

13. scottpep

The paradiddlediddle and 6 stroke are two that I have spent hours on.. They are tasteful and work excellent as fills. The paradiddlediddle makes a cool groove too..

I try and spend about 45 minutes on the pad a day if time permits... It's more muscle memory now and I don't think about it.. That is when it starts to show up in your day to day playing...

bigbonzo likes this.
  14. hardbat

hardbat Well-Known Member

Those are probably my two favorite rudiments.

15. stevil

stevil Well-Known Member

This looks killer! I've been trying to improve my rudimental skills, and Youtube has a lot of tremendous resources (such as the OP's!), but a book is nice. I also enjoy John Wooton's Drummer's Rudimental Reference Book, but it's not written for people playing on kits as much as snare/marching players.

16. scottpep

Anything in a book can be moved to the kit :) Anything on the kit can be moved to the pad.... It's all just a combination of rights, lefts, singles, doubles, and hard work. I have seen many marching drummers totally shred up a kit with their rudiment playing.

17. Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva Well-Known Member

I second the Rich book. The nice part is it is also listed in R L notation for Ludites like me that can't read music.

18. NYFrank

NYFrank Well-Known Member

I like this short list of 10 very much. Great job. Thanks.

I actually think, with time constraints, you can boil that down even further. If you think of some of the rudiments as foundations for other rudiments, my thought is you can really efficiently boil it down to working on these:

1. Doubles
    2. Diddles
    3. Triplet Doubles
    4. 6 Stroke Roll

19. scottpep

I agree, A paradiddle diddle is two singles, and two "sets" of doubles, But then a paradidle is 2 singles and 2 doubles if you think about it.

I always recommend people learn consistent singles and doubles before moving on.. Sometimes I'll have them start on the paradiddle to keep it exciting plus diddles work on your pattern speed. It's your brain vs muscles with singles and doubles.

As I stated in a previous comment though, I should have added flams to this, And with placement on the drums, and accents this is more than enough to keep someone busy for years.

Triplet doubles? Are you saying RRR LLL RRR LLL? I do that as well and it is a great way to work on getting the strokes out. even groups of 4, and 8 are a good way to work on endurance and technique too.

20. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    Several years ago I started messing around with displacing the basic paradiddle over a double triplet feel, then realized that sticking seemed to match real well when I'd air drum to the Genesis track, Duke's Travels, keeping the right hand on the ride and the left on the snare, ghosting and accenting where appropriate, and slipping in a crash at the end of the cycle. I think it's evident Phil is not playing that sticking exactly, but it works out to a great groove on my real drums anyway.

I do know Phil has encouraged young players to know their rudiments, citing the paradiddle specifically as something which shows up in his playing.