Unknown Drums, No badge

Discussion in 'General' started by Wally Hershey, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Wally Hershey

Wally Hershey Active Member

Hi, I am a new guy. Used to play years ago, got the itch again. I bought a kit off craigslist, 7 pc. Has pearl type hardware, came in silver sparkle (fine,almost looks pure silver). The wrap was put on with 2 faced tape about an 1" wide. The wood runs horizontal (not Mahogany) with the exception of the 8 and 10 which is mahogany running hoop to hoop. They have an aluminum pressed in vent with NO badge. The bearing edges where ok at best. all the hardware is double brace. The lugs are a smooth teardrop, haven't seen them on any site. The 16" floor only has 6 lugs. info has been hard to find. The guy I got it from said his Dad bought it years ago, he's in his late 30's , he remembered it always being around but didn't know where it came from. Would it be a good guess that it could be a Silvertone from Sears? P.S, I went crazy on the rebuild, maybe even borderline stupid! Any ideas or direction for helping me learn more would be awesome. Thanks, Wally

2. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

Pics would help. You'd b amazed at how many people here can ID something from the smallest of details.

Wally Hershey and squidart like this.
  3. Wally Hershey

Thank you, I will put some up, as soon as i figure out how to do it . Last time I tried I filled up the guy's site, he wasn't happy, not a good way when your trying to get help.

4. Wally Hershey

20180823_203956_1542985173320.jpg 20180823_203956_1542985173320.jpg 20181118_144256_1542985107608.jpg 20181118_144904.jpg

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  5. Wally Hershey

Hope these are good, a before and after. No badges, not even signs of stickers on the old wrap, no serial numbers ,nothing, the only thing that had anything on it was the pedal says Pearl, (810?)

6. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Need an up close pic of a drum to see the lugs, the bass tom mount and the inside of a drum.

7. Wally Hershey

up close drums.jpg

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  8. Wally Hershey

20181202_110852_1543781248277_resized_1543782358720_resized.jpg 20181202_110456_1543781243586_resized_1543782359606_resized.jpg 20181202_110532_1543781246144_resized_1543782357875_resized.jpg 20181202_110918_1543782361305_resized.jpg

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  9. Wally Hershey

Here is some more pic's, thanks for looking at them. Just trying to learn about them as much as I can. Thanks again, Wally

10. Wally Hershey

Put some up,thanks for your time, it is just crazy to me that there isn't a mark or number anywhere, thanks again

11. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Lugs look like MIJ Gretsch knock-off's Tom mount on bass drum looks like a Pearl/Tama type. I'm baffled about the bass spurs, both the square mount and the weird design. And that shell finish looks great outside and decent inside. That doesn't look like a luan (MIJ Phillippine mahogany) shell. I am guessing maple? I bet they are some sort of 80's/90's either Pearl/Tama or a knock off.

12. Wally Hershey

Ya, I'm lost too. The finish(the red cherry) is what I did. It was a small silver sparkle original. The only name was on the pedal,pearl 810, I believe. It still had plastic under the parts, like someone was really excited to stomp on it. The hardware has flat spots on it like they where looking for a logo,just never got them. The 8 and 10 which are on a stand with a cymbal holder are for sure mahogany on the inner most layer. They are 5 ply. The rest of the kit is also 5 ply, I think its maple, but it is thinner than I would have expected. The lugs are the biggest mystery for me.Only so a couple on the bay, they looked crapy. The chrome on this kit is awesome, the only thing I replaced was the vents. The originals where aluminum, pressed in. The big ?, who built them. The knock off thing sounds right to me,but how did a kit with 7 pcs all matching wrap,applied the same way with 2 types of wood on the last layer,with no #'S, or badges. The 18 floor is an add(Pearl Master Series) I did that because I'm a child of the 80's, plus it's 18" (ha,Ha). This kit had been played in the bar seen in southern wisconsin back in the day,or by a really heavy smoker ,the original wraps showed it. I loved restoring them to the state you see in the pics,maybe that is my niche,plus I've been a wood worker for 25 years, I hope to keep doing the resto thing, but I have to figure out the history behind these first. Thanks for looking at them. Wally

13. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I can't help you more. Not knowledgeable in MIJ and/or Japanese drums, just some vintage USA stuff, and little knowledge at that!

14. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

So, you did the refinish, Wally? Looks like a very nice job!

Regarding the drums I can only tell you they're not from any major known brand. Stencil knockoff drumsets with unfamiliar brand names were still being exported well into the 1990s and there were plenty of them that made their way to independent music shops & even department stores. Judging by the interiors of your larger toms these appear to be of better quality than the typical luan-wood imports but the 6-lug floor tom and vertical grain small toms makes be suspect the set is probably a mish-mash of various drums someone put together and wrapped in silver mist, or possibly a do-it-yourselfer built up the kit as a home project using parts and wrap from an Asian supplier years ago..
    You may never know the actual brand name of the set but if they sound good just play and enjoy 'em.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 6:05 AM
  15. Gunnellett

Gunnellett Well-Known Member

I have no idea what they are but you did a nice job on them. They certainly do not look cheap.

16. DWHOARD

DWHOARD Well-Known Member

no clue on the drums, but what a finish! great work on the chrome too!

17. Wally Hershey

Thanks everyone, I love how they look too. Had an absolute blast doing them. Learned a ton more about wood working on something I've never done. I'm not afraid of cutting bearing edges anymore! The chrome was awesome when I got them, just dirty. I wanted to put matching lugs on the 18 floor but only found 5 on line and they looked like they where found at the bottom of the ocean. Thought that would be easy, I was wrong, the mystery just deepened,even though they where an exact spacing match to the main kit.The wraps came off and I put on a cherry veneer, butted not overlayed. Then dye stain 3 coats of gloss sanding sealer and off to the body shop for 2 coats of automotive clear. Hand cut all the lug insulators because pearl did it on the 18 so it just felt like the right thing to do. I may have went way to far but they are round,true and have given me countless hours of enjoyment.I wish that there was a source of all drum history, this search has and will continue to be fun, I thought it would be figured out quick but that's turning out to be not true either. Thanks for all the input,maybe someday the mystery will be solved, I agree they are some kind of mij, but for who? If I can find that out I'll know who built them. The old rebuild idea is cool, actually really cool, but the guy I got them from said they were his dads and he bought them new years ago,maybe a story, dont know that either. Anyway Thanks again, Wally. P.S. there are no sticks in the house, I want the first person to play them be a player,and that's not me, I'm a better wood worker than a drummer LOL

GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  18. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Wally,
    That's one of the most beautiful refinishing jobs I've ever seen. Maybe you have found your calling.

Somewhere on line there is a site wholly dedicated to Japanese "Stencil" kits. I've run across it a couple of times, and it has a wealth of pictures of Japanese kits across several decades. I'll bet you could find your lug design there.

GeeDeeEmm

19. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Do those lugs look a little like these Apollos?

[​IMG]

20. Wally Hershey

That kit is freaking cool, my lugs are just a little different,.they are completely smooth, tear drop only, no ridges at all,or lines of any type, a true tear drop.I can't even count how many pic's i have looked at, not 1, the lug spacing matched the 18 floor tom made by pearl exactly. The other floor, a 16 that came with the kit only has 6 lugs , it was a perfect match to the whole kit. The shells have no signs of a re-drill or repair, just a mystery?