Vintage Drumming (demo by Billy Ponzio)

Discussion in 'General' started by mtarrani, Jun 12, 2018.

1. mtarrani

mtarrani New Member

I subscribe to Ponzio's Youtube channel mainly because he posts some truly rare drum-centric albums, but he also posts his own playing from time-to-time. If you are interested in authentic Dixieland and early swing styles, this demo is worth watching:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:03 PM
  2. rondrums51

rondrums51 rondrums51

Interesting, historically. Baby Dodds through George Wettling through Krupa.

But jazz drumming has advanced so far, this is like museum stuff. How many jazz gigs can you play nowadays in that style?

3. mtarrani

mtarrani New Member

I played in a Dixieland style (traditional jazz) band and those examples would have served me well. I currently play some ragtime and traditional jazz, so some of that stuff is useful. Those examples, to me, are tools and techniques for those of us who wind up playing a wider variety of music. Not everyday fare, but something I can pull out of my bag of tricks when the situation calls for it. These days I not only play real old music with one group, but play pop, 60s girlgroup and country with another. One never knows what one will be doing next, but it sure helps to have versatility.

4. Jazz Turkey

Jazz Turkey New Member

Thank you, mtarr.
    Any links to these patterns in context?

5. mtarrani

mtarrani New Member

Go to the video on Youtube and in the description are extensive notes and links to videos that show the patterns in musical context.

6. mebeatee

mebeatee Member

Well I wish you luck on your "jazz" gig if the leader calls a good ol' Dixieland set or some authentic pre hi hat/ride cymbal swing....
    You've missed the point...where do you think the drumming and music advanced from? This "museum stuff" can be used in any contemporary setting if needs be.
    bt

7. mtarrani

mtarrani New Member

Another Ponzio clip that impresses me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:03 PM
    Bongo Brad likes this.
  8. icetech

icetech Active Member

He has some great stuff on his channel, the max roach/dizzy concert from 1989 is awesome.. I'm gonna go on a limb here and say max roach was pretty good :)