What was the first year of the Slingerland set-o-matic tom mount?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Tama CW, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:05 PM.

1. Tama CW

Tama CW Well-Known Member

Anyone know the first year set-o-matic shows up with the Slinglerland logo appearing in the lower flange? I know the "patented" portion shows up in 1971...and "patent pending" was just before that...1969/70? And when did the torpedo style T-rods stop being used?

In looking at a vintage 1960's Slingerland kit, the bass drum tom mounting plate seems incorrect. The badges are gold/black with serial numbers under 100,000....suggesting mid-1960's. But the set-o-matic mounting flange seems later than that. It's chrome plated, and stamped "Slingerland"...not sure of the patent pending/patented portion. For an earlier 60's kit I would have expected an unstamped flange. It doesn't help that the tension rods are all 1970's style too (not the torpedo style ones). I've seen kits with serial numbers just over 100,000 still using the rail mounting system....at least for single tom. For a dual rack tom you'd have to use some sort of pre-set-o-matic mount.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:00 PM
  2. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

First year 1968. All aluminum mounts with no marking other than Patent Pending through 1969. Chrome in 1970 but not sure when the Slingerland label came in. My ‘68s are in the 201,000 range so the diamond plate mounts on those have been replaced with setomatic at some point.
    Regardless I bet they sound nice and if the price is right...you know the drill ;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:04 PM
    Tama CW likes this.
  3. Tama CW

Thanks for that Squidart. I researched for a couple of hours and didn't find anything as detailed as that. One source I read said that "patented" came after April 1971. I would think the first chrome version of setomatic had "Slingerland" cast into it. What did Slingerland call the double mount system before setomatic? Those version had vertical tabs to slide the 2 toms on....and just a crude looking flat base plate.

4. squidart

they just called the telescopic tilting double tom holder. Catchy huh? Lol.
    http://drumarchive.com/Slingerland/

There are gaps in years on drumarchive but if you can dig up the 71 and 72 catalogs somewhere that should tell you when the nameplate was added.

Tama CW likes this.
  5. squidart

My folks were good friends with Phil Hulsey who was the west coast slingy rep for many years and a fine drummer as well. He kept me supplied with catalogs. Wish I still had em!

6. Tama CW

Nice link to catalogs Squidart. Thanks. The 1970 cat shows the first mention of the double setomatic holder. And the 1973 cat shows a close up of both chrome setomatics.....and each are stamped "Slingerland." The 1970 and earlier versions don't show close ups and appear to still employ the earlier simplified style base plate. I also see that the rail consolette was offered as an option into the 1970's.

In any event, the drums I'm looking at have surely had the mounts changed on kick drum and toms. Why go through all that effort and expense? Weren't the original mounts decent enough? I wonder how much a difference in value that makes on mid-60's kit that should have the telescoping style mount? I assume that both earlier and later style of mounts are drilled identically so that they were 100% interchangeable w/o drilling new holes? I just had a fully working pair of gold/black 1960's Slingerland 22" kicks, one with all original torpedo tension rods and claws - gave the kick drums away for $67.50 each. Should have kept them just for the hardware.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM
  7. squidart

I could definitely see the motivation to swap for set o matic if it was done in the 70s just to keep up with the Joneses and all that. But if done recently, someone deserves a good smack! It does lower the resale value but I’d still play them! I’ve done stupider things to drums before...

Edit: I think the bass mount would have the same holes but the tom would have to be gored for the new post.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:27 PM
  8. squidart

89E03765-DB6C-4270-9843-B8C0B83322CB.jpeg 0B6C93B3-B532-4D68-AF2B-97541AD1A7A4.jpeg 6210D6ED-4F25-4FA3-9576-FDAD2B8482BC.jpeg Close ups of the aluminum bits for reference. My kit has the 70s t rods as well So if you do find any torpedo style.... :)

9. Tama CW

That's interesting. They look the same size on the toms. And the seller indicated the interiors of the toms were pristine. I did find out that the kick mount flange says "patent pending" on it. So it's a 1968-1970 set-o-matic. Is there any chance in the world that a pre-100,000 gold/black badge serial # from the 1965-1967 period could end up with a chrome plated set-o-matic set up from 1968-1970? And as I mentioned earlier, even the kick drum T-rods are odd having the 1970's style...and not the torpedoes. Could drums or badges have been kicking around a couple of years to get some later hardware?

Had I known you were looking for torpedo rods I'd have stripped that kick drum and kept all the parts....as the drum was cracked a bit on the inner plies, had the wrong flange mount and hoops. Gibraltar or Gretsch make some decent looking torpedo T-rods. My other Slingerland kick drum had 10 of those rods on there along with 10 rusty Slingerlands.....and just a tad bigger than the original Slingerlands....but very similar in appearance though lacking some of the finer details.

10. squidart

Oh! Maybe the seller is right. If the toms are on a double mount, the post arms only go into the mount and wouldn’t quite touch the shell. A single arm would require a new hole though. You might have an easy restoration.

11. Tama CW

Unfortunately, the double post itself is missing. But they are available. For a mid-60's serial, I'd have expected the telescopic tilting double tom holder system.

12. squidart

You are correct. If you end up wanting to go the set o matic route I have a double post in the Everything Else For Sale section. I’ll knock off 10 bux.

13. Tama CW

If I do end up getting it....I may take you up on that offer. Thanks.

squidart likes this.
  14. Tama CW

15. squidart

Oh boy. Well a couple factors are at play here. Slingerland was notorious for serial number slop. And I don’t know where one could actually pin down an exact date by SN.
    I’m saying mine are 68 by the aluminum mounts cuz why would anyone want to go back in time from the much better functioning chrome jobbies?
    We’re gonna have to call in the Slingy heavy hitters to answer the t-rod dating question. Maybe my flat ones are actually correct for 68. But there’s no way those are 68 mounts on the CL kit.

16. davezedlee

davezedlee DFO Veteran

maybe the badges were replaced? or maybe Slingerland had a HUGE inventory of leftover parts

at first, i thought this was 1965, but apparently its closer to 68... cuz, aluminum

IMG_0597.JPG

squidart likes this.
  17. squidart

But isn’t that a Leedy? The mount was added later if so.

18. davezedlee

davezedlee DFO Veteran

no, Leedys may have been discontinued in 65, but there were enough parts or wrap left until 1970

Leedy discontinued letter.jpg

squidart likes this.
  19. squidart

The plot thickens...

20. Tama CW