Which Mapex snare?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cauldronics, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Cauldronics

Cauldronics DFO Master

Going off the elm/maple snare in gezz' thread, I'm wondering what Mapex snare people would pick if they were to get one. I sense that the drum community has lauded Mapex snares (and drums) for awhile now and I might be missing out, so I want to try one.

The Black Panther and Velvetone series are already contenders, but choosing which one can't be easy. 6.5 depth or more would be wanted. Preferably wood.

2. theEZV

theEZV Active Member

The 5.5x14 matching snare that came with my Saturns is a fantastic drum. I am looking for one in 7x14 or 8x14 (Big Cat) as well.

3. DrumWhipper

DrumWhipper Very well Known Member

I have a Black Panther Blade 5.5x14 that I love. I also have a 5.5x14 Tomahawk snare that is nice and a bit of a change of pace from the Blade.

4. RickP

RickP Dan RH Jr.

The Cherry Bomb looks interesting.

The best Mapex snare I have ever played was the Deep Forest Walnut. sadly discontinued. All walnut plies, fat and resonant sounding.

mikesdrums likes this.
  5. Bgood

Bgood Member

My Exterminator is really good - cheap too.

6. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

7. gezz

gezz DFO Master

I am so lucky that I own 2 Mapex Snares I would never part with..
    Both are 5.5x14".. The first is the limited edition Black Panther "Memphis edition" 7.8mm maple/walnut/maple construction with no re rings, straight sided shells with a Sharper edge than on most drums I own..
    She sounds best at a mid to slightly higher tuning BUT is more than capable of a fat backbeat..
    There is an articulate, sensitive crispness to me that are I inherent in Black Panthers..especially the older ones..
    The die cast hoops and dual adjustable strainer and snappy wires are part of this..
    The new "velvetone" is as close as you will get to a Memphis model in the current range.
    The second is my absolutely Prized Elm/maple shell with re rings and flawlessly cut rounded edges..wow build quality is utterly stellar. Warm..Fat and low but again can easily take a higher tuning..
    I am a huge fan as my pals on here know of puresound "concert" wires on most of my drums as they do not present any rattle probs and allow the shell to give more of the drums true character.. But the snare sound is just perfect.
    I feel NO need to mess with either of my Black Panthers as the wires are just dialed in superbly..
    Honesty have patience and seek out one of these rather than the newer offerings (which in my opinion are just not the same revenance)..oh and my little maple piccolo with gold hardware.. Amazing little drum

Just my opinion

Gerry

Attached Files:

8. tomo221

tomo221 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  9. DWSlingerland45

DWSlingerland45 DFO Veteran

I really loved the Velvetone model I owned. It was the 5 incher. I traded it because I had a couple close seconds to the sound. A highly under rated drum in my opinion.

10. Drum Gear Review

Drum Gear Review Very well Known Member

Agreed. That Cherry bomb is a monster. I really loved it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  11. Tickinaway

Tickinaway Well-Known Member

My only 2 snares are the Black Panther Retrosonic (6.5x14) and the Sledgehammer. I can do everything i need to do with them. Sold off 15 other (and most popular) snares.