Will this cord work for connecting to pc

Discussion in 'Electronic Drum Zone' started by SessionPro, Dec 29, 2017.

1. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

I just bought a Session Pro DD505 Electric kit. I want to drum along with music from youtube videos with headphones on. So just to confirm, I insert the small audio jack into the back of the pc audio IN (green), then insert the larger end jack into the back of the ''brain'' or control unit as I like to call it. Does that seem about right?

Here is the cord im looking to buy. Thanks in advance

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/stagg-3m-stereo-3-5mm-mini-jack-to-mini-jack-cable?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQI7tY3xRi9AZNwt9eiBxtI27a7MGW9rR7kuELxva76lCvKJrixUwcwaAvH2EALw_wcB

2. cochlea

cochlea DFO Veteran

I have a similar arrangement with my Roland TD-12 module. The smaller end of the cable should be inserted into the headphone jack on your PC. The larger (1/4") plug goes into the "Mix In" input on your e-drum module (that's what it's labeled on Roland modules). Some modules have a separate volume control to regulate the level of the backing track you're playing through the module. This lets you regulate the balance between the level of the backing track and the internal drums sounds you're triggering. Good luck!

SessionPro likes this.
  3. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Very well Known Member

"Green" is normally Audio Out in a PC. If your PC has a separate headphone jack, use it. If not, just use the jack where you would normally hook up your PC speakers.

-Mark

SessionPro likes this.
  4. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

Thanks for all your input, so are these the correct cables? If so ill go ahead and buy them, just want to confirm, im new to electric drums because I live in a block of flats now.

5. multijd

multijd Very well Known Member

The only thing I would question is whether the input on your module or brain is stereo because that cable is stereo on both ends. The headphone out of your computer will be stereo but the input to the brain might be mono in which case you'll only get half of the signal and maybe not the half you'd like. If it is a mono input you need a stereo to mono conversion on the 1/4" end.

SessionPro likes this.
  6. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

right, how do I check if its mono or not? Other then looking in the manual, as I didn't see anything in the manual in regards to that

7. multijd

multijd Very well Known Member

My guess is that it would say "R/L input". But the manual would be a great pkace to check for certain.

8. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

as I look again in the manual, it says Num 16, two outputs together ''output jacks (R,L/mono)'' ''Connect with the amplifier or audio system. For monaural output use the L/mono jack.''

Then for Num 17 it says'' Aux.In Jack'' ''Connect with external sound source'' Doesn't say if its mono or not

9. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

Im just going to buy the cable and see how it goes. ill update you and let you know if the cable worked.

10. SessionPro

SessionPro Member

Got the cable today, it works...

Thanks for all your advise, especially cochlea and idrum4fun

11. cochlea

cochlea DFO Veteran

I'm glad to hear that the new cable works well. I truly enjoy the mix-in option on my Roland module that lets me play along to various recordings.