Would you pay $300 for an Acro

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by blueshadow, Aug 8, 2018.

1. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

Tag stamp is a little messy but looks like 7 JUL 13 1971 . It's in Canada and would be roughly $300 shipped Don't know if I could spend that on an Acro even with the date that I want! If the stamp was really perfect looking and the drum was say $200 I'd already hit the BIN button.

Attached Files:

• tag.JPG
      tag.JPG
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy Well-Known Member

No. Unless the date was clear and I wanted that date (ie: B-day or something).

3. Ickybaby

Ickybaby Well-Known Member

No.

But I don't place any sentimental value on drums at all.

Acrolites are $50 at pawn shops (around me) every now and then. I'd never pay
    over $100 and it would need to be a mint one with a keystone badge I could flip.

drums147 likes this.
  4. blueshadow

That's what I'm thinking too and your "ie" is the reason ;) but I'd want a nicer stamp for that reason, but at least I know someone came into work that Tuesday lol maybe there's others out there

5. JazzDrumGuy

I am still looking for any B-ay drums. The closest I have is an Acro dated 8/28/69 (my dad's 24th bday) I scored for $80 off Clist a while back - great shape, great drum, but haven't come across my B-day yet!

6. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Well-Known Member

Would love to see a $50 Acro at a pawn shop! Average price for an Acro in good condition seems to be still hoovering around $150. I'm selling a nice one for $200 with free shipping. shipping alone is now costing upwards of $35 coast to coast.

-Mark

7. Fayray

Fayray Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I stumbled on a B/day drum on ebay last week. It was an Acro (29th May 1967) and was $250. I figured that was too much but when I checked sold listings I was surprised to find that they are regularly selling for that. So even though I have an absolutely mint 1966 Acro that owes me way less and even with our $$ being weak against the USD at the moment and even considering the shipping to the other side of the planet and even though there was no photo of the date stamp...I bought it. I did ask the seller to check the date stamp as that was the main reason I was buying it and upon closer inspection it turned out to be Nov not May. He undid the sale and all was fine. I have to say I'm quite relieved because it really didn't stack up for me to buy a drum at that price just for the date.

8. p83

p83 Well-Known Member

my birthday is 7-12-53. that was a sunday, so no drum for me. i did find a keystone acro that was 7-12-68 (thanks chris) and bought it. if i find another 7-12-anything and it is not stupid priced, i might have to buy it.

9. drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn Well-Known Member

No. I would never pay even $200 for an Acrolite. I passed on a $300 birthday Acro, sort of. Ludwig date stamping stopped shortly after I was born so I was never going to get the year. So rather than forcing the issue on an Acro I had BB engraving done for my 40th and John dated it accordingly. As a result, its genuinely a birthday drum.

10. steambent

steambent Well-Known Member

I pay no more 100 for KS and 50 for blue/olive acro.

drums147 and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  11. Fayray

Fayray Well-Known Member

But what the OP is getting at is do you pay up for a birthday drum?
    Plus, have you bought many lately? Admittedly I don't have the luxury of finding them in charity stores in this part of the world but I follow prices on the major sales platforms and until about a year ago I used to be able to frequently buy sub $100 Acros. They very rarely come up these days and prices have generally risen for bread and butter drums like Acros and Supras.

12. crash

crash Well-Known Member

They are worth $300 and more value-wise, but they don't cost near that. If you really want that date tho, that's what sets the value. It's a personal choice..... My Keystone Acro is the last drum I'd sell.......... IMG_1230.jpg

13. Topsy Turvy

Topsy Turvy Well-Known Member

I paid $100 for an Acro about 18 months ago, but I haven't seen one sell for that since. The market seems to be closer to $150-200 at this point.

14. Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu Well-Known Member

No.

There's still A LOT of them floating around. Imo, $300 is just silly for an Acro, unless its a first year, total mint, super rare model...then maybe. I'd not pay more then $150 for a 70's, and not more then $200 for a 60's/Keystone...and they would have to be in amazing shape as well. You can get a Black-o-lite for very cheap, and they sound similar to older models.

Awesome drum though, everyone should have one in their snare arsenal.

15. blueshadow

yeah going to pass, really just finding the drum with the date is cool, if I bought it then what take a picture of it to post here? LOL and yeah already have an acro, my first drum I got in 1982 so it's a keeper obviously

16. curotto

curotto Well-Known Member

I don't understand the 7 Jul 13 71...if it's 7 Jul then that's Ringo's birthday....?

Mike Curotto

17. blueshadow

I'm assuming a double stamping of the month but who knows

18. Big Beat

Big Beat Well-Known Member

It's getting difficult to find Acros for $50 these days, but over the years I've bought a ton of them for about that much, cleaned them up and re-sold for $100-150. A really nice Keystone Acro, maybe $200 tops. Nice drums, but I cannot imagine anyone paying over $200 for them. Ludwig made zillions of them, so it's the one American vintage snare most likely to show up cheap somewhere. A little patience, and you'll get lucky.

19. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Well-Known Member

Very true that Ludwig made, and continues to make, a ton of them! IMHO, condition is everything and I'm willing to pay a bit more for one in VG+ condition. What really chaps my hide is that so many sellers don't seem to have a clue as to what constitutes "very good" or better condition.

-Mark

20. JazzDrumGuy

I would pay a premium for a B-day snare, though....but for a $300 acro, it better be pretty nice.